Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduate School From Excelsior to SUNY Albany
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has been accepted into graduate school after getting their bachelors degree at Excelsior or Even TESU. I'm still about 2 years off from grad school (assuming all my testing goes as expected). My plan if it can be done is finishing my 2yr degree at my community college. I am going full time to max credits/ semester and CLEPing and testing out of other classes as I go. Yes I am very busy school full time, work full time and studying for clep's and other tests on the side. I'm sure im not the only one doing this. Anyways back on topic, While working on the 2yr degree I am attempting on earning credits from SL or other sources so once I finish my 2 yr degree im actually done with 3/4 years of a bachelors or damn close. That way one year at another school and I have my bachelors. The only way this plan seems to work is if I go to one of the "Big 3" for my bachelors. After that though I want to go to SUNY Albany for a Masters Degree but im not sure if it will work better than if I just suck up an addition year and get my bachelors from SUNY Albany as well. By the way im going for Accounting so a complete testing out doesn't seem reasonable if you are asking why I am going to traditional school at the same time.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Yes, you can get in with a degree from Excelsior. While nobody can guarantee you will get in, countless EC and TESU alums go on to graduate programs at reputable schools every year.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Yanji Wrote:Yes, you can get in with a degree from Excelsior. While nobody can guarantee you will get in, countless EC and TESU alums go on to graduate programs at reputable schools every year.

Hey I noticed you got a BSBA in Gen Management but then got a MBA in Finance and Accounting. I didn't know you can switch like that. My overall goal is a Masters in Accounting. Should I just focus on a BSBA in General Management then apply for Accounting Grad School?

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
Synicaal Wrote:Hey I noticed you got a BSBA in Gen Management but then got a MBA in Finance and Accounting. I didn't know you can switch like that. My overall goal is a Masters in Accounting. Should I just focus on a BSBA in General Management then apply for Accounting Grad School?
You can get into an MBA program with almost any degree. There are lots of former psychology and engineering majors in MBA programs. The difference is that people with a different degree end up taking extra prerequisite courses as part of the their MBA. If you do what you're thinking, it shouldn't be too bad, but you might find yourself taking an extra accounting course or two that would have been part of an accounting BSBA, but the only way to know for sure is to get the list of prereqs for the MBA program, and compare them to your BSBA courses.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I agree, make sure you get your prereqs done, and if possible, get some graded credits there as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Synicaal Wrote:Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has been accepted into graduate school after getting their bachelors degree at Excelsior or Even TESU. I'm still about 2 years off from grad school (assuming all my testing goes as expected). My plan if it can be done is finishing my 2yr degree at my community college. I am going full time to max credits/ semester and CLEPing and testing out of other classes as I go. Yes I am very busy school full time, work full time and studying for clep's and other tests on the side. I'm sure im not the only one doing this. Anyways back on topic, While working on the 2yr degree I am attempting on earning credits from SL or other sources so once I finish my 2 yr degree im actually done with 3/4 years of a bachelors or damn close. That way one year at another school and I have my bachelors. The only way this plan seems to work is if I go to one of the "Big 3" for my bachelors. After that though I want to go to SUNY Albany for a Masters Degree but im not sure if it will work better than if I just suck up an addition year and get my bachelors from SUNY Albany as well. By the way im going for Accounting so a complete testing out doesn't seem reasonable if you are asking why I am going to traditional school at the same time.

You can get into a great school with an Excelsior, TESU, COSC degree. You just need to understand that more likely than not, the degree is not going to be seen as a plus. You will have to make up for it elsewhere: essay, interview, GMAT/GRE, previous job/life experience.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Synicaal Wrote:Hey I noticed you got a BSBA in Gen Management but then got a MBA in Finance and Accounting. I didn't know you can switch like that. My overall goal is a Masters in Accounting. Should I just focus on a BSBA in General Management then apply for Accounting Grad School?
As others have said, MBA programs typically do not have prereqs because they serve different purposes than MS Accounting programs. MSA programs are usually for accounting majors to meet the 150 hour requirement for the CPA, but there are a few MSA programs which are specifically for non-accounting (or even non-business) majors. It's a good idea to check the program you are interested in to confirm the program structure and entry requirements, and since you seem to have your mind set on one specific program, it might also be a good idea to talk to someone at UAlbany about your intentions so that they can give you some specific advice.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Thank you to all for you excellent feedback. I have come to the final decision to work towards my Accounting Bachelors from TESU. With the plan I have set up a few months after earning my Associates I should be set up for my Bachelors. And then I want to work on getting into a Masters Program at UAlbany. Thanks again for the feedback you all have been a huge help so far in my journey.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,191 03-27-2024, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 887 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,184 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,352 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,472 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,284 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,615 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 649 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz