Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduate School Letter of Recommendation
Ok....maybe some of you out there have come across this issue. Some schools want a Letter of Recommendation (LOR) from an educational source (i.e. faculty). Since my past year's worth of schooling has been testing out, how do I go about accomplishing this? In the past I had many professors who thought highy of me..but that was soooo long ago.

Any advice? :confused:

Oficially a Graduate!!Big Grin
COSC B.S. Independent/Liberal Studies (Business Admin & Healthcare Admin)

Exams Passed:
- DSST: Technical Writing 64
- DSST: Principles of Supervision 58
- CLEP: A&I Literature 74
- DSST: Intro to Business 66
- DSST: Ethics in America 63
- DSST: Intro to World Religions 67
ALL DONE!! hilarious[SIZE=4]
[/SIZE]
Forgery. j/k

Perhaps email your old professors, or do you have any friends in education?
I have 18 traditional credits and 51 exam credits. I've passed Introductory Sociology 76, Introductory Psychology 68, A&I Literature 66, Principles of Marketing 76, Introductory Business Law 71, Social Sciences & History 67, DSST Drug & Alcohol Abuse 450, Biology 69, Principles of Management 70, Natural Sciences 64, Intro to Business DSST 70, Principles of Macroeconomics 67, Principles of Microeconomics 58.
Ronny Wrote:Forgery. j/k

Perhaps email your old professors, or do you have any friends in education?

It just seems so akwards.....like, "Hey there remember me from your 2005 online class?..of course you do, I was 1 in several hundred of your students that year...." :p

Oficially a Graduate!!Big Grin
COSC B.S. Independent/Liberal Studies (Business Admin & Healthcare Admin)

Exams Passed:
- DSST: Technical Writing 64
- DSST: Principles of Supervision 58
- CLEP: A&I Literature 74
- DSST: Intro to Business 66
- DSST: Ethics in America 63
- DSST: Intro to World Religions 67
ALL DONE!! hilarious[SIZE=4]
[/SIZE]
2005 is not long ago at all. Absolutely you should approach them. Remind them who you are, what class you took, why you picked them out to ask for a LOR, and maybe what they had said about you at the time. You may be surprised how well they remember, and they probably have notes archived from the class anyway. Even if it were twenty years ago, it wouldn't be out of line -- three years is nothing.

I'd be in a tougher position -- I've only taken one online course, and although I got a B, I was half a slacker, and I'm pretty sure the professor knows it. hilarious I'd have to take an indirect route and find someone on a college faculty through social contacts.

-Gary-
loredia Wrote:It just seems so akwards.....like, "Hey there remember me from your 2005 online class?..of course you do, I was 1 in several hundred of your students that year...." :p

I have often felt awkward asking to close a sale, but it's a job that has to be done. The worst thing they can say is no, but if you never ask you lose an opportunity you can never have back.
I have 18 traditional credits and 51 exam credits. I've passed Introductory Sociology 76, Introductory Psychology 68, A&I Literature 66, Principles of Marketing 76, Introductory Business Law 71, Social Sciences & History 67, DSST Drug & Alcohol Abuse 450, Biology 69, Principles of Management 70, Natural Sciences 64, Intro to Business DSST 70, Principles of Macroeconomics 67, Principles of Microeconomics 58.
Just be honest with them, say that you need those recommendation Letters to ''access a higher level of education'' (teachers love thatWink ) and remember most likely those teachers were somehow in your situation back then so dont worry , if you had a good grade on that topic make a quick reference to that(stay modest and humble) otherwise emphisize the fact that you were motivated about learning and also improving your knowledge in that particular subject, dont bs them too much play the honesty card Wink you would be surprised how many letters I got this way (regardless of the grade Big Grin ) good luck
My problem is a little different. I have several degrees, including graduate degrees. I decided this year to take another masters degree. It has no practical advantage to me - just to learn more. As I wrote the university, at age 62, most of my former professors are dead!

I am a school principal (director of an international school) so I suggested academic superiors and colleagues instead. I also submitted letters of references over the years. They accepted these and two days ago I received my acceptance into a new masters program.

In case you are wondering, I'm here primarily because my two youngest children are testing out. I did test out back in 1988 by taking 3 GRE Subject exams and I received a B.S. in Liberal Studies from Excelsior College.

Sidney

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 302 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,239 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
  Elon Must Be Smoking Something. Twitter Gets Rid of Blue Bird Logo for the Letter X LevelUP 18 1,446 08-25-2023, 05:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,568 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  How should I structure my CV as a UMPI Graduate? atmoex 8 1,048 02-12-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: tsgreer
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,732 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Program to educate incarcerated people costs 40K per graduate?! studyingfortests 25 1,757 05-11-2022, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 917 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 568 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,097 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius