Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduate School Prerequisites
(01-28-2019, 02:05 PM)hsfamfun Wrote: ...(He is 22)  He is limiting himself a bit in that he wants an in person program and not online. 
He will figure it out.

I can see the appeal. There's definitely a networking component to an in-person program that isn't available in the methods we use. If he really loves his job, and they'll pay for it, it does make some sense.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • hsfamfun
He has changed gears a bit, but before I explain I have a question: When I was looking at grad schools in 1991, it was the general rule of thumb that you should go to a different school for your Graduate degree than your undergraduate degree.  I don't really remember the reasoning.  Is that still the case?

He graduated from Eastern Kentucky University with 2 BAs in May, in Philosophy and Communications Studies.  He also graduated from the Honors program,and one of the benefits of that is that he got free books every semester.  If he chooses grad school there, he willl get free books as well, it is one of the benefits of the Honors program.

EKU is 45 minutes away from the area of town that he lives, so very commutable, but about twice the distance from the local University. He knew when he was there, that were re-vamping their MBA, but he wasn't looking at business, so he didn't pay much attention.  Yesterday he checked it out online and asked a couple of classmates if they had heard anything about it and they said it was getting really good press and people like it.  https://mba.eku.edu/

The things he likes are:
1)There are no prerequisites, but there is a summer boot camp required by everyone.
2)They have 3 tracks you can take.  2 yr, 3yr, or 4 yr.  Since work will pay for up to 6 hrs per semester, he would choose the 3 year and pay for the difference each semester or the 4 year.
3) The MBA is actually broken up into 3 sections and every time that you finish a section, you earn a graduate certificate.  So, if he changes employers, decides on another program, or moves for any reason, as long as he has finished the section, he will still have something to show for it in the form of a graduate certificate.  When you finish the final certificate, you are issued the certificate and the MBA.
4)Classes are geared to working adults.  All classes are at night and offereed one night a week, except for the seminar each semester, which is a hybrid class only meeting a few times per semester and mostly online.  

He is much more excited about this, and is planning to visit the next few weeks.  It is set up in way that is somewhat similar to the honors program with the seminars each semester and he enjoyed that setup.  Thanks for the advice and if you have any more advice, please comment.

Thanks again,
Katie
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
It is usually better to attend a different school at each level of education to avoid groupthink. The idea is that each university has their own way of doing things and a person will be exposed to different ideas and people by attending a different college/university. I think that this greatly depends on profession/goals. My sister attended Michigan for undergrad. and she also earned her MSW at Michigan. She has had no difficulties with this, although she worked at a series of hospitals and now the VA. She doesn't teach. I think this is more important in academia.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • hsfamfun
(01-30-2019, 08:49 AM)hsfamfun Wrote: He has changed gears a bit, but before I explain I have a question: When I was looking at grad schools in 1991, it was the general rule of thumb that you should go to a different school for your Graduate degree than your undergraduate degree.  I don't really remember the reasoning.  Is that still the case?

It depends entirely on the degree and career path.  Going to your local 4-yr state college for both your BSBA and MBA wouldn't be frowned upon in most instances.  Going to the same school for your BA in Speech-Language Pathology and transitioning right into their MA program would be normal for most.  Going for a degree and then getting your teaching credential from the same school is a given.  Getting your degree and then going to the same school for Med school or law school is normal too.

If you want to teach at a college, then the rules are different.  If you want to work on Wall Street, then the rules are different.  It you want to work at the top law practice in your city, then the rules are different.  Otherwise, most places just don't care.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • hsfamfun
It sounds like it would be a good situation for him and if he likes the program and is looking forward to it then why not?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • hsfamfun

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,022 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 873 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,838 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,167 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,337 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,465 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,271 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,610 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 646 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz