Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduate School Prerequisites
My oldest son graduated in May with a BA in Philosophy and a BA in Communication Studies.  He got a job at a Bank that is local to our state and loves it.  They will pay for graduate school related to Banking, so basically an MBA.  He resisted this idea at first and was thinking of continuing on in studying Communications or Philosophy.  However, he is kind of like me, in that he loves school and loves the idea of someone else paying for it.  He wants to attend in person and our local University, The University of Kentucky, has a good program.  However, he needs a handful of prerequisites since he does not have a business degree.  He is trying to find out if his work will pay for the prerequisites, but I thought I would ask what you guys think the best way to take these classes?  2 of the 4 classes he needs have CLEP exams and he could do Modern States and CLEP and the other 2 classes are offered at our local CC. Is this a good plan, or would you take them at a University?  The classes he needs are Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Micro Economics and Statistics.  He took Macro Econ as a Gen Ed.

He was homeschooled, so he is a good independent learner.  However, he discovered that he really prefers in person classes to online classes, but he has been successful at both.  

I would appreciate your thoughts.  
Thank you!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
You will want to make certain that they will accept CLEP for a pre-requisite before going that route.

If they do, might also want to inquire about the Statistics DSST.

Probably not quite as cheap as a local CC, but if he values the ability to work independently, BYU's Independent Study program has all except Micro Economics.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 2 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • dewisant, hsfamfun
You have to check with admissions at the university to see whether they will accept them as alternative credit. You also need to gauge how competitive admissions there is and whether he'd be better off with them coming from a school.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • hsfamfun
They will accept CLEP exams for the prerequisites, it is clearly stated on their website.
http://gatton.uky.edu/programs/mba/mba-p...ry-courses

I also should have stated that he is a very competitive candidate with an excellent score on the GRE. He graduated Suma Cum Laude from the Honors Program at the University he attended with a 3.90 GPA.

When I linked to the website, I noticed the wording about transfer courses: "Equivalent coursework at another accredited university (via classroom, on-line or correspondence course)."
I guess that take out the idea of CC courses, due to their use of the word "university." Is that a correct assumption?
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
(01-24-2019, 12:04 PM)hsfamfun Wrote: They will accept CLEP exams for the prerequisites, it is clearly stated on their website.
http://gatton.uky.edu/programs/mba/mba-p...ry-courses

I also should have stated that he is a very competitive candidate with an excellent score on the GRE. He graduated Suma Cum Laude from the Honors Program at the University he attended with a 3.90 GPA.

When I linked to the website, I noticed the wording about transfer courses: "Equivalent coursework at another accredited university (via classroom, on-line or correspondence course)."
I guess that take out the idea of CC courses, due to their use of the word "university." Is that a correct assumption?

You're reading carefully, but my guess is that their use of "university" was simply being careless - if they accept CLEP there is no reason to think they'd not accept a CC course to meet the prereq.
I like that they'll accept CLEP for all 4, sounds like a winner- and with his employer paying tuition? Home run!

PS I would NOT attempt Studycom for these, they are pretty clear- CLEP or class. That they accept CLEP and don't demand graded credit for the prereq is already pretty generous imo.
Yeah, I'm guessing Jennifer is right that they just want it to come from an accredited college. Although it probably wouldn't hurt to ask, just to be certain.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 3 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • cookderosa, davewill, hsfamfun
They have a CLEP for Financial Accounting and MicroEcon and also there is a DSST test for statistics. Maybe take Managerial accounting at a community college and put the other three tests on that community college transcript.

Just an idea. But obviously like everyone else said you would want to make sure CLEP's and DSST's count towards the pre-reqs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • hsfamfun
They don't say they'll accept DSST exams, so be careful of that. Many schools that will take CLEP won't take DSST (entire CSU system here in CA is that way).

I would also say that I might just do their IVY Software option. Looks like you just go through each course online, the price is decent at $75 each, and you're going to need that material to do well in the MBA anyway. Online course from home sounds better than CLEP to me any day, but that's just because it's not convenient for me to take CLEP exams.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • hsfamfun
Honestly, those are really important courses and if he doesn't have a strong foundation in them he will struggle. It's not like marketing or a leadership class. If he enjoys classroom learning and isn't pressed for time, I would probably recommend taking an actual course. A lot of people struggle with those courses, and though he probably won't, a more structured environment would make it easier.

You said he can get a banking-related degree for free, so you figured MBA even though he's not that into it. Has he looked into financial planning degrees? It might be more interesting if he's into communication and philosophy. Some programs focus a lot more on the counseling and behavior finance parts of it, which might be more down his ally. It's a great field to get into and can offer a lot of flexibility
(01-25-2019, 05:47 PM)amilitab4k9 Wrote: You said he can get a banking-related degree for free, so you figured MBA even though he's not that into it. Has he looked into financial planning degrees? It might be more interesting if he's into communication and philosophy. Some programs focus a lot more on the counseling and behavior finance parts of it, which might be more down his ally. It's a great field to get into and can offer a lot of flexibility

Actually, it is all him.  He shocked me by saying he was thinking about an MBA because work would pay for 2 classes per semester.  He loves his job, which is good and I told him that he should just enjoy it for a while, there is no hurry.(He is 22)  He is limiting himself a bit in that he wants an in person program and not online.  I suggested he look at their finance and economics programs as well.  Also, UK has an amazing program in international commerce through their Patterson School of Diplomacy, which I suggested he explore.   

He has already considered the Communciations Masters but he wasn't impressed with the program.

He will figure it out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,022 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 873 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,839 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,167 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,337 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,465 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,271 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,610 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 646 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz