Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduate programs?
If I test out of my degree using alternative credits(big three) and my transcripts have pass/fail, how would I get into grad programs with a mediocre gpa? Have any of you guys been accepted, based on gmat scores alone? Another question I have is about WGU’s masters programs, why do some require two years of work experience in a related field? Can I get in anyway if I don’t meet that requirement?
It depends on many factors, and it has been talked about many times on this forum Wink

Depends on:
* Specific grad programs, a lot of programs do not require the GMAT, some will let you in with an average GPA
* your GPA, if you do not have prior credits, can actually be 4.0 with only the capstone counting in, you just don't have a lot of prior proof. It's not ideal, but some people on this forum have been accepted in great programs just with that.
* If you have a prior mediocre GPA, unfortunately, there isn't much to do, you need to improve your grades, I think Excelsior let you transfer grades from SDC? could be a good opportunity.

You should contact WGU about this, they may wave it on specific conditions, generally, that means the program is meant for people already working in the field so..
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(03-06-2019, 08:12 AM)posabsolute Wrote: It depends on many factors, and it has been talked about many times on this forum Wink

Depends on:
* Specific grad programs, a lot of programs do not require the GMAT, some will let you in with an average GPA
* your GPA, if you do not have prior credits, can actually be 4.0 with only the capstone counting in, you just don't have a lot of prior proof. It's not ideal, but some people on this forum have been accepted in great programs just with that.
* If you have a prior mediocre GPA, unfortunately, there isn't much to do, you need to improve your grades, I think Excelsior let you transfer grades from SDC? could be a good opportunity.

You should contact WGU about this, they may wave it on specific conditions, generally, that means the program is meant for people already working in the field so..
Starting with no credits. I’m basically asking how well do our clepped degrees fair when applying to grad programs. Do most accept the across the board or not?

(03-06-2019, 08:12 AM)posabsolute Wrote: It depends on many factors, and it has been talked about many times on this forum Wink

Depends on:

Starting with no credits. I’m basically asking how well do our clapped degrees fair when applying to grad programs. Do most accept the across the board or not?
There are many schools so there isn't one typical policy. But generally better schools will only accept you conditionally due to having less than 30, 48, or 60 graded credits. They can set other limits too, but those are the ones I see.

Being accepted conditionally is no big deal. It just means that they will look at your grades in your first terms and may not allow you to continue if they're lower.

In general I don't think it matters, but lack of graded credits will matter for a competitive field or school.

There isn't a universal answer, depends on the uni and the program.

Like I said, some here have been accepted in great programs, but obviously you start with a disadvantage when applying on limited enrollment programs. However since you talked about WGU, I don't see your degree an issue to get in WGU if you satisfy all the other requirements.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----

Depends on:

I’m by no means saying I’m going to WGU for sure to get my MS. But yeah I don’t really get this requirement for their business programs, I wonder if it can be waived?
1) If you're starting with 0 credits, and your possible only grades will be the cornerstone (if required) and capstone (definitely required), you have complete control over your GPA - if you work hard on your 1-2 courses and get an A on each one, then you'll have a great GPA. If you get C's, then you'll have a mediocre GPA. So do well and get good grades. P/F ACE courses do not affect your GPA at all (neither positive nor negative).

2) There is no across-the-board policy for acceptance into grad schools. Every school is different.

3) EC does not bring in Study.com grades, but COSC will bring in grades from Study.com and SL IF YOU WANT THEM TO. There's a process to do this, so that you can bring in your A's but nothing else; you'd have to look that up.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-06-2019, 09:33 AM)Silversurfer76 Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 08:12 AM)posabsolute Wrote: You should contact WGU about this, they may wave it on specific conditions, generally, that means the program is meant for people already working in the field so..

I’m by no means saying I’m going to WGU for sure to get my MS. But yeah I don’t really get this requirement for their business programs, I wonder if it can be waived?

Many business masters (MBA is a common example) require a certain amount of business experience before you can be accepted into the program because the curriculum targets working professionals who are able to leverage their prior business experience as part of the program. Other programs are designed to carry students from the bachelor to master level without work experience (an MSM in some schools is focused this way, for example) but can still be taken by working professionals as well. MSM graduates often move into entry-to-mid-level roles where an MBA usually targets people who are already in mid-to-upper-level management and executives. In fact, many say that its a waste to get an MBA until you've already attained a certain level of success. I suspect that is mirrored by the schools.

Beyond that, considering that the majority of WGU's programs are targeting older, working adults rather than high school kids you will notice that they do not require high GMAT scores or GPA. Rather, their admissions often focus on career-related dependencies since most of their students are coming from existing careers rather than from academia.

As for waiving the admissions requirements, if you have a prior bachelor's degree in the same field as the master's program I would think that they might waive the resume requirement, but it would probably depend on how well prepared you sound in your admissions interview. Then again, I know they can be sticklers about not bending their other admissions requirements, so they also might ask you to come back with some experience. The only way to know for sure is to try and see what happens.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Grad applications are a PACKAGE. Grades are only one part of it. Testing, experience, grades and your personal statement all play a part. If you GPA isn't strong, then you want to build up some of the other areas. Nobody will be able to truly tell you what part of the package got them in.

If you have a particular program in mind, you should take the time to contact their admissions dept and discuss your concerns. You should also make sure that you are satisfying any prerequisites that particular school requires. If they want want graded credits for certain courses, then you should plan your degree to make it so. If you are flexible about where you go for your grad degree, then you can worry less, some school will take you. 

Many grad programs are money makers for the school, so they will take anyone they feel will successfully complete the program. Others are more competitive. Either way, you will find the admissions people much more accessible (and knowledgeable) than for undergrad, so don't hesitate to reach out.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,516 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,448 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 765 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 241 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 196 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 612 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  ‘We did it together’: New York mother and daughter graduate college on same day LevelUP 0 189 12-22-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 915 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Mexican Bachelor of Engineering programs US$4200 elcastor21 2 408 08-31-2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Kab
Shocked Woman charged with faking her own kidnapping because she wasn't going to graduate LevelUP 4 610 05-09-2023, 01:37 PM
Last Post: MrPanda