Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduation Rates for Popular Online Colleges
(07-16-2021, 10:39 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Here we go again.

Didn't we discuss in a previous thread how this data is flawed yet there is no disclaimer in this thread that these numbers are inaccurate?

These graduation numbers don't count all students!!!

"APUS has more than 28,000 students who have completed our undergraduate programs over the past five years with over 80% of them never utilizing FSA. By failing to present complete data, ED is misleading prospective students."

"Whether the graduation rate posted is 31% or 100%, the rate is unlikely to accurately represent the quality of the institution, because a first-time, full-time student is atypical at an institution like APUS. Working adults make up 89% of APUS’s enrollment, and our students generally do not have the time to attend college full-time."

https://wallyboston.com/college-scorecar...titutions/

"The government only tracks graduation rates for first-time, full-time students who complete degrees where they began, excluding those who transfer from one school to another."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grad...-students/

This is pretty common misinformation I see being spread on the Internet.  Parents & students look at these numbers probably don't know any better than to believe them.

You are incorrect. If you had gone to the College Scorecard website, you would have seen that you can toggle the graduation rates based on whether a student is full-time or part-time and whether they are a transfer student or first-time student. The overall graduation rate that is displayed includes all of those students.

OMG! Those articles are from 2016! The Department of Education changed how it calculated graduation rates after that year.

No disclaimer is needed! The numbers are accurate and include all types of students. LevelUp is referencing outdated articles. 
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(07-16-2021, 10:44 PM)sanantone Wrote: You are incorrect. If you had gone to the College Scorecard website, you would have seen that you can toggle the graduation rates based on whether a student is full-time or part-time and whether they are a transfer student or first-time student.

I think my original post was a bit too aggressive, I did back off and edited it down to something more reasonable. 

The numbers are more accurate on the new scorecard update.  You do have a point that it can be a useful tool to use.

My suggestion is to check with the official college websites and look at their data as well.

For example WGU
https://www.wgu.edu/student-experience/g...rates.html

The national average is 40% graduation rate for nonprofit, open-admission institutions.  Good to see a lot of these adult non-traditional colleges doing well. 
https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d19/...326.10.asp
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
UMPI publishes their graduation rates. IT's done based upon a 6 year cohort. https://www.umpi.edu/about-umpi/common-data-set/

Their data shows a lot like part/full time and year breakdowns. They only rejected 7 people last year for example.

So 2014 graduation is their last full data set:
33% graduated with a Pell Grant covering 100% of expenses.
29% graduated with Student Loans (Stafford)
37% graduated who paid out of pocket
34% graduated overall
(07-17-2021, 02:35 AM)ashkir Wrote: UMPI publishes their graduation rates. IT's done based upon a 6 year cohort. https://www.umpi.edu/about-umpi/common-data-set/

Their data shows a lot like part/full time and year breakdowns. They only rejected 7 people last year for example.

34% graduated overall

According to Scorecard which uses 8yrs of data:
UMPI Full-time graduation rate for first-time students is 42% and 62% for transfers.  49% overall

Some of these brick-and-mortar community colleges act as feeder schools for other schools so their graduation rate will take a hit when their students transfer out and go to other schools to finish their degrees.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • ashkir
(07-17-2021, 10:35 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(07-17-2021, 02:35 AM)ashkir Wrote: UMPI publishes their graduation rates. IT's done based upon a 6 year cohort. https://www.umpi.edu/about-umpi/common-data-set/

34% graduated overall

According to Scorecard which uses 8yrs of data:
UMPI Full-time graduation rate for first-time students is 42% and 62% for transfers.  49% overall

Some of these brick-and-mortar community colleges act as feeder schools for other schools so their graduation rate will take a hit when their students transfer out and go to other schools to finish their degrees.
It's not surprising considering that, I found the 62% too! It's pretty cool. UMPI is usually used as people's backup school, not the first choice for brick and mortar. So once they have enough credit and a good GPA I would not be surprised if they transferred to a bigger name for the name.

I am curious of what the CBE graduation rates would be! I wonder if they'd publish those.
(07-16-2021, 09:57 PM)ss20ts Wrote: TESU and COSC are a bit skewed. Many of their students only take a handful of courses and are then graduating.

Purdue Global is non-profit. They still have small campuses in 5 states for in person classes. That part is odd! Why they have an online law school I don't know. You can't take the Bar Exam is you go to an online law school. Well you can sit for the Cali Bar but nowhere else. It is also ACBSP accredited. The place is such an odd duck. Quack

(07-16-2021, 09:56 PM)sanantone Wrote: It would be interesting to know what FHSU is doing because it has a 91% acceptance rate, and it 11,000 out of their 15,000 students are online. The issue with UMGC might be that it serves the military around the world at satellite campuses. The other numbers for the public universities aren't all that surprising.

FHSU....wow....what??? Did not see those numbers coming!
I'm not surprised at the numbers for FHSU.  They're definitely doing something right because I can remember finding their online program way back in 2008.  Also, check out their tuition for their virtual college, and their undergrad and graduate offerings.  My youngest decided during the pandemic lockdown that he would transfer his CC AS there as a virtual student in their BSCS.  His experience so far has been very positive and, speaking with three of his friends who went to a popular state school for CS, his education is on par with theirs except his labs are virtual.  He'll also come out of school 100% debt free thanks to his PTK and other academic scholarships and still have money for a MSCS left in his college fund.  He's planning to attend ECU online for grad school since we live in NC and they offer a MSCS for about $9000 with in-state tuition.
I certainly agree that graduation rate, alone, isn't a great descriptor of quality.  However, I think it might say something about whether a school is predatory or not.
It's good to hear that FHSU is working well for young students because young students typically struggle in online programs. It's also good to hear that UMPI is working well for adult learners. I might start recommending those schools more often. FHSU's online degree offerings are pretty good for a school its size.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 252 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 165 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 369 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,293 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 291 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 196 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,651 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 729 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,715 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 394 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader