Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduation! Thanks to everyone here, I'm finished.
I got the official email this morning that I'm approved for March Graduation at TESU. The degree is the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Computer Information Systems. I'm glad I made the decision to do this, I'm glad it's over, and I literally would not have been able to figure it all out without everyone in this forum helping every step of the way.

Time and Schedule
I officially started this in February of 2018 and I was done with my courses mid-January 2019, so right around the 1 year mark. I think I had only 9 credits to transfer in when I started. For anyone just starting out, it's a hard path to get through and there will be setbacks, but it's doable if you just stick with it.

My schedule was to study for about 2 hours in the morning before work and then some evenings and weekends whenever I had time for it. There were a few months when I was taking one clep every week. That got easier toward the end because there was so much overlap that I was already familiar with a lot of the material for the tests I was choosing (for example, US History and American Government or Psychology and Sociology). However, there were others that took me a month just to get through one course  for 3 credits. And during the months I was taking the capstone I focused completely on that course and didn't take anything else.

Cost
 Total cost for me was almost exactly $4000. And I made it through with no student loans or debt (barely). Most of that was paid to TESU. Gradation fees, application fees, capstone, residency waiver, etc. (and their residency waiver went up on me!). I took every clep that I could make fit in my plan since they're free with modern states right now. I was also fortunate enough to get the study.com guardian deal, which gave me 9 free credits for courses that were hard to come by cheap. After that i went for Online Degree for a few $9.00 courses. All of those places I completely recommend.

I made the choice early on to use Saylor since they had upper level CS courses for only $25. That turned out to be a mistake. Most of them I had to take 2 or 3 times, so it would have been just as cheap to do Study.com, and then their credits got downgraded on me so it made it a lot harder to get gradation approval. I also spent way more time on those than any other courses, and I feel like l learned the least from them. There are better options for UL CS courses at Study.com now, so I'd have to recommend avoiding saylor's CS courses and taking study.com instead. Don't be cheap like me, just give Straighterline or Study.com your money.

Courses and Degree Plan
 When I first came here, I found one of dfrecore's BSBA plans that was modeled on using Cleps. I downloaded that spreadsheet and just customized it to add in the gen ed courses that interested me and then scoured the forum for options on the UL credits I needed. After that I called an academic advisor and spent a lot of time on the phone for him to map every course I had planned onto my evaluation and then I verified that everything was exactly right. I would save it as a PDF each time (they can and will change it so make sure you keep track). After that, I would send emails to verify that the course I had planned would meet the degree requirements. I know I annoyed some advisors, but this actually saved me. Some courses didn't get added correctly at the end, and having everything in writing is what saved me. Fortunately they made exceptions and honored what had been planned.

Outcome
I got a lot of personal satisfaction from this. I've always felt bad for not going to college when I was younger. I felt like I wasn't living up to my potential. So I feel like i accomplished something I've wanted to do for years, and that alone makes it worth it.

As far as the qualifications for high(er) paying jobs, advanced certifications and experience carry a lot more weight than a degree when it comes down to technical qualifications. However, I expect this to open up opportunities at companies that wouldn't consider me previously because I didn't check the degree box, and I think it will help me in salary negotiations since I've been low balled before on account of not having a college education. The degree is just one piece of the puzzle. I added it to my resume as "In Progress" not too long ago and I have already started getting calls for more senior positions.

What's Next
A new job? Industry Certification? Masters? I have no idea. It's not a prestigious school, so I may try to get into a ranked masters program at some point, but right now I'm just taking a break.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
Congrats! I love reading these stories, so inspiring!
[-] The following 1 user Likes homeschoolmom1's post:
  • camjenks
Congratulations!!! Wish you success and happiness in your future endeavors.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supermind's post:
  • camjenks
Congrats! That’s awesome!
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
[-] The following 1 user Likes TexasTink's post:
  • camjenks
Nice job Cam!!!
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • camjenks
Congrats! Great work! If I were in your shoes, I would email TESU and have the ASNSM Computer Science added into your programs list and have them audit you for graduation. You get that absolutely free.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 4 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • alab21, allvia, AwardTour, camjenks
Congratulations!!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • camjenks
Congratulations! It's really nice to see someone who took advantage of the Saylor courses too. I don't think a lot of people mention those in their graduation posts.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • camjenks
Congratulations! Wish you all the best going forward!
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • camjenks

Congratulations! This is great advice. Thanks for taking the time to type it out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Murdockb's post:
  • camjenks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Max Credit Transfer and graduation speed? ecdw94 3 693 02-01-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: jch
  Residency waiver beyond graduation gams007 15 1,384 01-15-2024, 03:48 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  When to apply for graduation? Kones 1 225 01-06-2024, 02:13 PM
  Almost finished with dual CIS/CS degree - HELP! ACI 22 2,015 01-04-2024, 03:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  How to enroll after graduation? No INTERNSHIP!! mt_1994 9 702 10-19-2023, 01:21 PM
  TESU transcript before graduation spohara 2 693 10-16-2022, 08:45 AM
Last Post: spohara
  Graduation question gams007 5 724 07-28-2022, 11:02 AM
Last Post: gams007
  Theoretical question: Adding ACE credits to a TESU transcript after graduation? studyingfortests 12 1,583 06-10-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  Double Graduation Fee Concern Sallym 2 685 05-22-2022, 03:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Graduation Application for multiple degrees? elenlushk 4 1,020 12-12-2021, 10:32 PM