Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guidance Needed
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Hello Everyone,

I'm not really new to the forum; however, i've been away from it for quite a while and recently found my way back. I've decided on TESC, and will be sending my application today.

My issue is that I have Fema & College credits as well as lots of professional experience ranging from musician, legal, training etc.

I understand that they have a PRIOR LEARNING ASSESSMENT course or options to attain credit at this school, only I'm not sure if I should declare my major?

I'm confused and do not think I'm understanding this whole process correctly.

So, I will try and get my point accross as simple as non confusing as possible

If I choose a Liberal Arts Degree, will my school allow these credits to be transfered? I'm under the impression that they will evaluate all that I have done/taken and will basically for a lack of a better word " lump" them all together into a degree?

I apologize for being nieve; however, It's confusing to me for some reason.

At this point, I need to graduate as quickly as possible and hoping they will just allow me to transfer any and all credits into my degree...

Confused in CT!!
[QUOTE=2oldforskewl]:confused: :confused: :confused:
Hello Everyone,

I'm not really new to the forum; however, i've been away from it for quite a while and recently found my way back. I've decided on TESC, and will be sending my application today.

My issue is that I have Fema & College credits as well as lots of professional experience ranging from musician, legal, training etc.

I understand that they have a PRIOR LEARNING ASSESSMENT course or options to attain credit at this school, only I'm not sure if I should declare my major?

I'm confused and do not think I'm understanding this whole process correctly.

So, I will try and get my point accross as simple as non confusing as possible

If I choose a Liberal Arts Degree, will my school allow these credits to be transfered? I'm under the impression that they will evaluate all that I have done/taken and will basically for a lack of a better word " lump" them all together into a degree?

I apologize for being nieve; however, It's confusing to me for some reason.

Hello!
Your not naive, you just need to take some time to work this all out. I spent hours, weeks, months (!) figuring out how to make a plan that worked for me.

A few things-
your credits won't be lumped. You can't have an odd assortment of 120 credits and have it packaged up as a degree, you will have to fill each requirement with the right type of credit. That's not as hard as it seems at first.
Next- prior learning assessments would not be my first step. I actually decided to go back and earn 60 new credits rather than try and get my 60 previous credits from culinary school in as prior learning assessments. For starters, you pay full price! Second, they don't automatically grant them- in other words, could pay-do the work- and then they can deny your PLA! PLAs are a lot of work, do a forum search to see the experience of other people here. In my opinion, PLAs are a marketing tool used to entice people into a program, and not worth much UNLESS you are doing a very special class for a specific degree that you already have college level learning for. In that case, it might make a lot of sense.

Picking a major/concentration isn't that important on the first day. Just decide between Business and Not Business. That's the only really distinct difference you should make before sending in your $75.
You didn't say what your previous credit was in, but if you can tell me, I can help you see where they might plug it in for you.

Fast is relative. It's all fast. You could, technically, enroll today and complete your degree this month- but it will depend on your ability to find ways of meeting the degree requirements. Testing, classes, etc are what take time. I don't think Liberal Arts is necessarily "faster" but it can be easier to achieve because you can use CLEPs and DSST exams fully without needing course work.
Ok, So I can't remember my log in for my 2oldforskwel account and it has been quite sometime since I post anything; however, I just wanted to say how grateful I am to soo many of you for posting information on degrees, testing and courses.

When I started in this forum I had some credits through University of Bridgeport (approx. 34-36) credits. In 2012, I finally obtained my Bachelor of Science Degree from Thomas Edison State College. I must say that it took me about 1 year to complete, simply following the advice of some of the contributors to this forum. Thank you all very much for the information and guidance. Here is what I did:

clep exam Spanish approx 9 credits
ALEKS courses/exams approx 12 credits
Fema Credits approx 24-30 credits (FREE)
2 science exams
The rest were TESC courses which took me about 8 months to complete

If someone needs more info, I can provide specifics as to how many classes exactly, etc.

Luis E. Velez Jr.
Bachelor of Science - Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness
Thomas Edison State College - Class of 2012
LVelezjr Wrote:Ok, So I can't remember my log in for my 2oldforskwel account and it has been quite sometime since I post anything; however, I just wanted to say how grateful I am to soo many of you for posting information on degrees, testing and courses.

When I started in this forum I had some credits through University of Bridgeport (approx. 34-36) credits. In 2012, I finally obtained my Bachelor of Science Degree from Thomas Edison State College. I must say that it took me about 1 year to complete, simply following the advice of some of the contributors to this forum. Thank you all very much for the information and guidance. Here is what I did:

clep exam Spanish approx 9 credits
ALEKS courses/exams approx 12 credits
Fema Credits approx 24-30 credits (FREE)
2 science exams
The rest were TESC courses which took me about 8 months to complete

If someone needs more info, I can provide specifics as to how many classes exactly, etc.

Luis E. Velez Jr.
Bachelor of Science - Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness
Thomas Edison State College - Class of 2012

Wow!! 6 years! I revisited this thread when I got a notification that someone "liked" my post. Everytime that happens, I worry that I might have said something stupid (cuz I'm soooo much wiser now lol hilarious) but how AWESOME that you took the time to do an updated post! Congratulations to you, and welcome back! Smile
:o I didn't notice that this was an old thread until I got to the post after yours, Jennifer. I found your advice sound and very encouraging for the op, hence the "like". Anyway...

Congratulations on completing the degree, Luis, and for proving that you weren't too old for school!! hilarious
BA in Social Sciences at TESC, June 2014 (Arnold Fletcher Award)

CLEP
American Government 51, Intro Psychology 59, A&I Literature 71, Human Growth & Development 55, Intro Sociology 70, German Language 80, English Comp w/ Essay 61, S[SIZE=1]ocial Sciences and History 75, History of the US I 57, History of the US II[/SIZE] 59
DSST
Personal Finance 63, Biz Math 70, Intro To Biz 65, Intro To Computing 74, Intro To World Religions 408, Environment And Humanity 61, Ethics In America 437, Human Resource Management 62, Org Behavior 60, Principles of Supervision 441, Biz Ethics and Society 452, Here's To Your Health 465, Substance Abuse 429,
Human/Cultural Geography 66, Western Europe since 1945 70, Intro to the Modern Middle East 61, History of the Vietnam War 60, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 62, Civil War and Reconstruction 50
BYU
Geog120 World Regional Geography A-
ALEKS
Intermediate + College Algebra
TEEX
Cyber Security (6 courses-4 sh)
TESC
LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone B+

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Degree plan - advice needed please Tripletmom 9 2,105 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Tripletmom
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,779 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  Help! Advice needed! TESU enrollment expiring. Lewis.Yim 15 4,370 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Last Post: sheptr
  Need some guidance rfisher1977 0 707 04-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Last Post: rfisher1977
Big Grin TESU guidance needed please Tripletmom 8 1,874 03-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Math - Looking for Guidance Gloddy 4 1,261 12-25-2017, 02:09 AM
Last Post: bsimi
  New to this - Advice Needed cleper123 3 1,196 12-04-2017, 09:32 PM
Last Post: cleper123
  AA or BA guidance cookderosa 4 1,667 09-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Tesu ba psychology course guidance needed please lovewins 8 2,487 07-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA CIS degree help/guidance! interocitor 2 1,042 05-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Last Post: dfrecore