Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guidance in Degree Planning Needed for A new resident in USA
TLDR: Too Long Didn't Read: In brief, I vote either UMPI BABA PM & IS, or WGU BSIT, then ladder upwards to the WGU MS ITM instead of WGU MBA.  In regards to getting the MBA later, you can Private Message me if you want and we can decide what may be your best path is, you can do that before you do the following, or after, it doesn't really matter which comes first...

Well, there are some discrepancies on what may be a good route to go or a better route to go.  Originally from OP's answers to my posts, I was thinking more on the lines of doing the UMPI and WGU Bachelors/Masters combo.  UMPI BABA Project Management & Info Systems laddering to the WGU Masters IT Management, this will also get you a CAPM certification that isn't regulated by a state/location such as the CPA...

It really boils down to what OP needs, as I mentioned, there are so many various variables in play, and it can be favorable in several directions, at the end of the day, doing a BA Accounting or a BABA PM & Info Systems is somewhat redundant to their foreign Bachelors.  OP really needs to see what can open more doors, getting stuck with a CPA in one state or having a CAPM that can be used elsewhere.

Not only will it take longer to complete the CPA, but the usability isn't as great as the CAPM or the PMP if they decide to ladder upwards.  In fact, I would recommend another route, to open even more doors as OP mentioned Computers/IT and I mentioned the same, work on Certs, Degree, Experience.  You may actually be better with a "one and done" situation, by opening doors to another vertical, IT!

My suggestion is to complete the WGU's newest degree offering, the Accelerated Bachelors in Science IT and Masters in Information Technology Management.  You can finish BOTH Bachelors and Masters for under $8K and have several Business, IT, CAPM certifications all included in your tuition!  You've already applied to WGU for their masters, ask to get transferred to this program!  You now have more options!

So, OP, did you get more info and did you complete anything more than just apply to WGU, UMPI?  Going the IT route will open two doors, Business & IT, instead of staying in just Business, you now have more options to select from as there are sub specialties other than what's offered in Business.  Having more doors open will give you a greater opportunity to get the career you're looking for!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-25-2022, 01:57 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TLDR: Too Long Didn't Read: In brief, I vote either UMPI BABA PM & IS, or WGU BSIT, then ladder upwards to the WGU MS ITM instead of WGU MBA.  In regards to getting the MBA later, you can Private Message me if you want and we can decide what may be your best path is, you can do that before you do the following, or after, it doesn't really matter which comes first...

Well, there are some discrepancies on what may be a good route to go or a better route to go.  Originally from OP's answers to my posts, I was thinking more on the lines of doing the UMPI and WGU Bachelors/Masters combo.  UMPI BABA Project Management & Info Systems laddering to the WGU Masters IT Management, this will also get you a CAPM certification that isn't regulated by a state/location such as the CPA...

It really boils down to what OP needs, as I mentioned, there are so many various variables in play, and it can be favorable in several directions, at the end of the day, doing a BA Accounting or a BABA PM & Info Systems is somewhat redundant to their foreign Bachelors.  OP really needs to see what can open more doors, getting stuck with a CPA in one state or having a CAPM that can be used elsewhere.

Not only will it take longer to complete the CPA, but the usability isn't as great as the CAPM or the PMP if they decide to ladder upwards.  In fact, I would recommend another route, to open even more doors as OP mentioned Computers/IT and I mentioned the same, work on Certs, Degree, Experience.  You may actually be better with a "one and done" situation, by opening doors to another vertical, IT!

My suggestion is to complete the WGU's newest degree offering, the Accelerated Bachelors in Science IT and Masters in Information Technology Management.  You can finish BOTH Bachelors and Masters for under $8K and have several Business, IT, CAPM certifications all included in your tuition!  You've already applied to WGU for their masters, ask to get transferred to this program!  You now have more options!

So, OP, did you get more info and did you complete anything more than just apply to WGU, UMPI?  Going the IT route will open two doors, Business & IT, instead of staying in just Business, you now have more options to select from as there are sub specialties other than what's offered in Business.  Having more doors open will give you a greater opportunity to get the career you're looking for!

Really appreciate your time. This forum is so valuable and I'm recommending it to all of my friends and family. 
Thank you so much for this piece of thoughtful advice. Well, I applied to the UMPI BA in Accounting and they received my foreign credential evaluation and I'm guessing that I should probably hear from them next week. I also applied for the PMP certification, registered for student membership and I am already preparing my pmp application as i complete the udemy course by Andrew Ramdayal. For the MBA in Business Analytics, I applied sometime back at LSUS and am waiting for their decision which probably will arrive next week as well. As for the job, God helped me and I finally got a salaried office job that requires my brain and not my physical strength. It's with a large shipping company and I work as an import-export coordinator (a Junior position though) and I must say I love it and was actually considering supply chain management as a major. 
I love your proposals and to give your more insights into my interests:
My Strengths - Economics (i have taught economics, accounting, mathematics and financial mgt for close to 10 years now since after my high school -in class and online, from high school to MBA students. The students and my supervisors report that i have excellent teaching skills and the majority of the students i have taught pass well ) But the salaries for Education are so low - 
Passion: Computer Science (i love computer science and I have actually done some python and web development lessons and I believe I can do it if i concentrate on it and do a degree and some certs. Actually my long term plan is to finally end up in any computer science field because it pays well and i know i would love the jobs because I love the field.)
Dreams: Study/ teach/ work at a prestigious university or in a field/ company that blends education, computer science and business, Establish an NGO that transforms people's lives through education around the world, become a leader in the future, etc 
Others: I'm committed and dedicated, and once i set my mind on something i can do it. -Nothing is impossible is my moto - so any suggestion you give me i take it into consideration as long as it gets me where i am heading. 

Now basing on your suggestions - the UMPI BABA PM & IS,  then I ladder upwards to the WGU MS ITM - sounds interesting. How do you apply for the UMPI BABA PM & IS because I asked the enrolment lady about having tripple minors - Accounting, MIS, and Supply Chains mgt and she said the BA in Accounting does not permit that. So how can i apply for the UMPI BABA PM & add the IS?
Since all the google certs are free through the American dream academy, my plan is to complete all of them - use them for credit somewhere. Then add the comptia certs
I have also thought of the DBAs and upgrad offered  the swiss DBA but the reviews are so bad - I dont think I can go through with them

In conclusion - This week is my decision week -And if i don't get any better suggestions, 
- I will change my UMPI BA Accounting into UMPI BABA PM & IS (Do the additional 30 credits at UMPI and get that degree) 
- Request a change of degree from WGU MBA to the WGU MS ITM, (I can do this alongside the UMPI BABA)
- Complete my pmp training and get certified.
-  I dont know what to do about the LSUS MBA in Business Analytics if admitted (Guess I will have to put it on hold for now to create time for the above) 
- Any further suggestions will be highly appreciated.

As for the WGU Accelerated Bachelors & Masters - I dont know how many credits they will transfer in from my bachelors and i also dont have enough information on how easy it is to complete it in a short time. I am not sure if its faster than the above plan. If you have more information about how to complete it faster than the UMPI/WGU route then im up for it. Kind regards
(06-25-2022, 11:44 AM)rkotak2 Wrote: Now basing on your suggestions - the UMPI BABA PM & IS,  then I ladder upwards to the WGU MS ITM - sounds interesting. How do you apply for the UMPI BABA PM & IS because I asked the enrolment lady about having tripple minors - Accounting, MIS, and Supply Chains mgt and she said the BA in Accounting does not permit that. So how can i apply for the UMPI BABA PM & add the IS?
Don't ask the enrollment counselors questions like this. They don't have any idea. The enrollment counselors are not UMPI employees. They are a hired third party who are sales people. She's also wrong. You can complete the BA in Accounting and add minors. You can complete the BABA with Project Management Concentration and add minors. You cannot add the MIS minor to this concentration because you will be completing the Minor courses in the Concentration. You've already applied to UMPI. Once you're accepted and meet with your academic advisor let them know you want to change majors and tell them which degree you want to complete. They'll change everything over on their end.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 5 102 2 hours ago
Last Post: smartfion
  Intl future student looking for guidance James4 6 300 04-18-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 596 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,221 04-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,936 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 211 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,176 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,309 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 174 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 931 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM