Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guidance in Degree Planning Needed for A new resident in USA
https://online.umpi.edu/degrees/undergra...arts/acct/

Your general education requirements should automatically be waived since you have the equivalent of an RA bachelor's degree. The accounting major requires 59 to 62 credits of business/accounting courses, and I imagine some of those might be fulfilled by your existing classes. You still need to complete at least 30 credits at UMPI.

I don't know whether evaluations "expire," but UMPI will need to receive your foreign credential evaluation directly from the agency. Academic Evaluation Services is part of NACES, so that meets UMPI's requirement for evaluators.

Edit: Degree plan for someone starting from scratch is available on the wiki at https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
I'm not sure why you'd get another business degree, and many schools won't even let you. There's absolutely no reason to get another bachelor's in business degree at all - you have one.

I would just go straight to an MBA, in Accounting or PM or whatever concentration you're most interested in. For WGU, even 2 terms will be cheaper than LSU, but that's entirely up to you (I'd do WGU just because you can go ham while your wife isn't here yet).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@rkotak2, I looked at your evaluation pictures, the two pictures are just a portion of the evaluation itself. Can you send us the entire evaluation? Generally it will provide more details than what is currently showing. Especially, when you have so many courses available, it should indicate a few more things and may be an extra page or two, you may have missed a page or two... just crop out your personal details as you did the other info.

Anyways as I was about to say... You're going to get various response to your inquiry on which way to go, it's like 360 degrees of variable answers, by updating the info in the template, you have provided us more details. You're basically at a cross road between getting a Bachelors or going straight to the Masters, you really want to look at your variables and see what suits you most. Everyone will have valid advice for you, but you decide what to do with it.

Get this, you're 15 years younger than me, you currently have a factory job (can you tell us more about the factory job? is it automotive, farming, what type of job, warehouse?). What field or position are you looking to get into, management, teaching? By telling us, I don't want a factory job anymore, well, what if you're the team lead or the lead hand and looking to move into management, that's different than say a janitor job at the factory.

You have the energy, money, time right now to "get that education", my suggestion always has been 3 things. Certs, Degree, Experience. I would use this time to get your US equivalent education completed by following your initial plan. UMPI Bachelors then WGU Masters, but you need to decide which major/minors interest you most. You can get to where you want to be sooner or later, it's now punch time to get "this" started.

I am not going to disclose too much until I get additional info and questions asked/answered in my next post, but again, everyone will give you a different answer, you need to decide which way you want to swing things. There are many people here looking at their second Bachelors (some even after they have a Masters), there is no harm in getting an addition one in something different, you do that to keep "learning continuously".

Edit to add: We're all here to root you on, we want you to get that education on the cheap, easy, fast route to the finish line. Having said that, I like to look out for any extra ROI/Value, by doing the Bachelors, you're well within your means of cost, energy, and time you want to finish this by. Don't rush... I'll be linking you to a few posts later, depending on your evaluation picture updates.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-12-2022, 08:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @rkotak2, I looked at your evaluation pictures, the two pictures are just a portion of the evaluation itself.  Can you send us the entire evaluation?  Generally it will provide more details than what is currently showing.  Especially, when you have so many courses available, it should indicate a few more things and may be an extra page or two, you may have missed a page or two... just crop out your personal details as you did the other info.

Anyways as I was about to say... You're going to get various response to your inquiry on which way to go, it's like 360 degrees of variable answers, by updating the info in the template, you have provided us more details.  You're basically at a cross road between getting a Bachelors or going straight to the Masters, you really want to look at your variables and see what suits you most.  Everyone will have valid advice for you, but you decide what to do with it.

Get this, you're 15 years younger than me, you currently have a factory job (can you tell us more about the factory job? is it automotive, farming, what type of job, warehouse?).  What field or position are you looking to get into, management, teaching?  By telling us, I don't want a factory job anymore, well, what if you're the team lead or the lead hand and looking to move into management, that's different than say a janitor job at the factory.

You have the energy, money, time right now to "get that education", my suggestion always has been 3 things. Certs, Degree, Experience.  I would use this time to get your US equivalent education completed by following your initial plan.  UMPI Bachelors then WGU Masters, but you need to decide which major/minors interest you most.  You can get to where you want to be sooner or later, it's now punch time to get "this" started.

I am not going to disclose too much until I get additional info and questions asked/answered in my next post, but again, everyone will give you a different answer, you need to decide which way you want to swing things.  There are many people here looking at their second Bachelors (some even after they have a Masters), there is no harm in getting an addition one in something different, you do that to keep "learning continuously".

Edit to add: We're all here to root you on, we want you to get that education on the cheap, easy, fast route to the finish line.  Having said that, I like to look out for any extra ROI/Value, by doing the Bachelors, you're well within your means of cost, energy, and time you want to finish this by.  Don't rush... I'll be linking you to a few posts later, depending on your evaluation picture updates.
Hello, Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my evaluation and for understanding what am going through. I have attached the full evaluation as requested. I think the major in Accounting interests me the most and I'm tending toward that. (The UMPI Bachelors in Accounting then WGU MBA + CPA and other certs like PMP) is my most probable route at the moment for me. I am currently working as a packer in a warehouse but they are too physical and I'm looking for any corporate job at this rate. So any guidance that i can use to quicken the process of getting will be greatly appreciated. Kind regards

Attached Files
.pdf   EVALUATION EDITED.pdf (Size: 1.06 MB / Downloads: 10)
If you just wanted any generic business job, I would agree that you should skip the second bachelor's degree. However, if you want to work in accounting, that's more specific. I don't think that a foreign degree + MBA would be enough to show that you actually know how American accounting works. Accounting is pretty universal, but there are still some quirks that are different in each country; it's not simply about being able to add columns of numbers. Without a US Accounting degree, you'd probably still be able to get hired for something, but maybe not what you actually want to do.

I would probably get the UMPI Accounting degree + Project Management minor because I don't know that your foreign degree would be evaluated as sufficient to take the CPA. Illinois requires you to use NIES to evaluate foreign credits for being able to take the CPA exam: https://crushthecpaexam.com/foreign-cred...-cpa-exam/ You used a different evaluator before; an evaluation from NIES might or might not be less favorable. Different evaluators often give different results. You might be able to get away with UMPI Accounting + current foreign degree, though.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
When I first arrived to study in the US many many moons ago, I remember people talking behind my back that I was "FOB" (Fresh off the Boat). Apparently, I was making a lot of cultural mistakes that were not obvious to me but were something the locals found funny. When I did my internship, apparently they were surprised about the quality of the work I did because they said they didn't expect it from an FOB (exact words from my NY-born and bred boss).

Your degree is probably not the only thing that is hurting your job hunt. You will (like I did when I first arrived) have to adjust to the local ways of dressing, talking and behaving. Those factors are probably way more important for a new immigrant than a new degree. Join your local toastmasters, volunteer your services at a hospital etc - these will help you get acclimated to the new culture you are facing.

An online masters will not help at all. You might be better off doing something local (part-time while you work), to do networking and try to fit in with the local folks. You might meet people in the local program that can provide you the references/leads to get interviews. You have to understand that employers have to consider not just your educational background, but your cultural fit - they have no way of knowing if you will act/react/think the same and work well with the locals on their teams.

Also, location is a big factor in US employment. You said Illinois (probably not in Chicago then?), but if you really wanted an accounting or bookkeeping job - you might have better odds in the big cities nearby like Chicago or Milwaukee. Or do what everyone is doing right now - move to Texas as that's where professional jobs are moving LOL.
(06-14-2022, 08:02 AM)smartdegree Wrote: When I first arrived to study in the US many many moons ago, I remember people talking behind my back that I was "FOB" (Fresh off the Boat).  Apparently, I was making a lot of cultural mistakes that were not obvious to me but were something the locals found funny.  When I did my internship, apparently they were surprised about the quality of the work I did because they said they didn't expect it from an FOB (exact words from my NY-born and bred boss).  

Your degree is probably not the only thing that is hurting your job hunt.  You will (like I did when I first arrived) have to adjust to the local ways of dressing, talking and behaving.  Those factors are probably way more important for a new immigrant than a new degree.  Join your local toastmasters, volunteer your services at a hospital etc - these will help you get acclimated to the new culture you are facing.  

An online masters will not help at all.  You might be better off doing something local (part-time while you work), to do networking and try to fit in with the local folks.  You might meet people in the local program that can provide you the references/leads to get interviews.  You have to understand that employers have to consider not just your educational background, but your cultural fit - they have no way of knowing if you will act/react/think the same and work well with the locals on their teams.    

Also, location is a big factor in US employment.  You said Illinois (probably not in Chicago then?), but if you really wanted an accounting or bookkeeping job - you might have better odds in the big cities nearby like Chicago or Milwaukee.  Or do what everyone is doing right now - move to Texas as that's where professional jobs are moving LOL.
Thanks for your opinion. I understand what you mean. Ofcourse i am sure i make many cultural mistakes too  but I am in Chicago, Illinois and i have been here for almost 3 years and have interacted and worked with the locals over that time so i can say that is not the biggest factor here. The reason i need an American degree is for my profile- sometimes it can be hard to get past the HR systems if the degree is foreign. I dont want to be in a position where i always have to explain more on my degree. And an online masters is a masters degree as long as it is accredited- it serves the purpose. Education is valuable regardless of whether it helps me get the job i want now or never. And i have joined few network chapters to help me connect with the people in the fields i need to work in but truth is i need to speak their language and need the right qualifications to be able to benefit from the networks i make.  And that's why i am taking up @rachel83az advice to go for a UMPI Accounting degree + MBA and CPA. With those in hand i can join all the networks available and should be enough to get my foot in the door. What do you think about that? Thanks for your time

(06-13-2022, 03:41 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you just wanted any generic business job, I would agree that you should skip the second bachelor's degree. However, if you want to work in accounting, that's more specific. I don't think that a foreign degree + MBA would be enough to show that you actually know how American accounting works. Accounting is pretty universal, but there are still some quirks that are different in each country; it's not simply about being able to add columns of numbers. Without a US Accounting degree, you'd probably still be able to get hired for something, but maybe not what you actually want to do.

I would probably get the UMPI Accounting degree + Project Management minor because I don't know that your foreign degree would be evaluated as sufficient to take the CPA. Illinois requires you to use NIES to evaluate foreign credits for being able to take the CPA exam: https://crushthecpaexam.com/foreign-cred...-cpa-exam/ You used a different evaluator before; an evaluation from NIES might or might not be less favorable. Different evaluators often give different results. You might be able to get away with UMPI Accounting + current foreign degree, though.
Thank you @rachel83az. I am working on this already. Yesterday i called UMPI and talked to the enrollment advisor and i filled up the application and have requested the Academic Evaluation Services to forward the evaluation to them so i can get the picture of what courses i need to complete. I want to first work on this ASAP and then get my MBA and my CPA hopefully before 2023. Any degree plans of someone who managed to get a both the degree and the MBA in 6months would be appreciated or any links that can help me in this journey. Thanks alot for the priceless advice.
(06-14-2022, 12:23 PM)rkotak2 Wrote: Thanks for your opinion. I understand what you mean. Ofcourse i am sure i make many cultural mistakes too  but I am in Chicago, Illinois and i have been here for almost 3 years and have interacted and worked with the locals over that time so i can say that is not the biggest factor here. The reason i need an American degree is for my profile- sometimes it can be hard to get past the HR systems if the degree is foreign. I dont want to be in a position where i always have to explain more on my degree. And an online masters is a masters degree as long as it is accredited- it serves the purpose. Education is valuable regardless of whether it helps me get the job i want now or never. And i have joined few network chapters to help me connect with the people in the fields i need to work in but truth is i need to speak their language and need the right qualifications to be able to benefit from the networks i make.  And that's why i am taking up @rachel83az advice to go for a UMPI Accounting degree + MBA and CPA. With those in hand i can join all the networks available and should be enough to get my foot in the door. What do you think about that? Thanks for your time

If you have your mind set on online programs, you should consider UIUC's online programs (either the online masters in accounting or online masters in management).  You can't beat UIUC's network in Illinois and even though it will be online, it will probably help your resume get a second look from locals.
(06-14-2022, 12:23 PM)rkotak2 Wrote: Thank you @rachel83az. I am working on this already. Yesterday i called UMPI and talked to the enrollment advisor and i filled up the application and have requested the Academic Evaluation Services to forward the evaluation to them so i can get the picture of what courses i need to complete. I want to first work on this ASAP and then get my MBA and my CPA hopefully before 2023. Any degree plans of someone who managed to get a both the degree and the MBA in 6months would be appreciated or any links that can help me in this journey. Thanks alot for the priceless advice.

Filled out the application is what we say. You want an UMPI degree, MBA, and CPA within 6 months? Sorry, but I don't see that happening. You may not be able to start on July 5th which is the next session. The next one is in August. Each session is 8 weeks long. If they accept your foreign degree, you're waived from the GEC requirement. You still have to meet the remaining degree requirements. The accounting degree is known for not being one which can be completed super quickly unlike the BLS. I would plan for 2-3 sessions for that degree. That's 16-24 weeks. It is extraordinarily rare for someone to complete WGU's MBA in under 6 months. You'd only have like 3 months to finish it before 2023. You also need to find out from Illinois what the CPA requirements are. Having a degree isn't all that there is to the requirements.
The BLS is a good site to find what types of jobs there are in the U.S.
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/

Key figures are the number of current jobs, new jobs, degrees, and if work experience is required to get the job.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 159 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 137 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,726 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 195 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,551 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 213 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Intl future student looking for guidance James4 6 327 04-18-2024, 04:16 PM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 624 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,082 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 252 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az