Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP BACHELOR COSC
(01-18-2021, 12:43 AM)Pathfinder Wrote: You can get 6 lower level credits by taking a Uexcel Spanish language exam if near a testing center.  That should count as regional credit which Is important since you will need at least 24 total regional credits for COSC.  I took it and it cost $110 for the exam, $55 for the administration fee at the testing center and $20 technological fee.  That's $185 for one exam but results in  6 credits total which is really good, quick and cheap!  These would overlap/duplicate the cleps so you would need to see which is more beneficial...... Cleps give you more credits but not RA credits.
I am checking with TESU to see how those 12 UL credits transfer.

If that is the case this is the cheapest, quickest path for UL credits for TESU BALS (At only $108 per exam)
(01-17-2021, 08:20 PM)Seagull Wrote:
(01-17-2021, 07:14 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(01-17-2021, 07:08 PM)Seagull Wrote: Would all those credits satisfy a BALS at TESU with no concentration? For the UL portion of 15 credits (including the TEEX UL course?)

I'm not sure what you're asking. Yes, you can use the ACTFL language tests to get a BALS at TESU.
If all 12 UL satisfy the required 4 UL courses for the BALS? And with TEEX UL course (3credits) you get the 5 UL courses needed for the BALS

You can use exactly that to get a BALS, yes. This is something that bjcheung77 has advised before. It's a good path for someone who is fluent in a foreign language.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
So is better to get the test instead of the Clep. I get 6 RA where do you recommend to get the rest of the 24 credits for COSC. I’m on a tight budget. Thanks ?

(01-18-2021, 12:43 AM)Pathfinder Wrote: You can get 6 lower level credits by taking a Uexcel Spanish language exam if near a testing center.  That should count as regional credit which Is important since you will need at least 24 total regional credits for COSC.  I took it and it cost $110 for the exam, $55 for the administration fee at the testing center and $20 technological fee.  That's $185 for one exam but results in  6 credits total which is really good, quick and cheap!  These would overlap/duplicate the cleps so you would need to see which is more beneficial...... Cleps give you more credits but not RA credits.
I think I would do that instead of the Clep exam. I would like to do the Spanish concentration but I don’t know how else I can fulfill the other Spanish credits for that??
For RA credits, I strongly reccomend using Olivet Nazarene University. They are $50/credit and you only pay AFTER you finish the class and want to add it to your transcript. Your remaining 18 credits would wind up costing $900 there. This is only slightly more than the same amount of credits would cost with SDC! And they have two UL options. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University

Another option would be TEL Learning. They cost about $66/credit. From what I can tell, they're a bit more effort in addition to requiring payment up front. So, you have to choose your course(s) carefully before proceeding. Some courses are worth more than 3 credits at some colleges, so you'd want to choose carefully here. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/TEL_Learning

A final option, which would cost about as much as Olivet, would be to take some TECEP exams. Some of these, such as the English Comp ones, are supposed to be way easier than the classes that they represent. Others are going to be much more difficult.

To get more Spanish credits wouldn't be easy nor necessarily cheap.

BYU has an UL Business Spanish course for $636: https://is.byu.edu/catalog/MSB-596R-M001

Western New Mexico University has some UL Spanish classes but they cost $352/credit: https://fuse.wnmu.edu/webtm/sched.jsp?ut...down-menus Choose Spanish as a subject in the dropdown menu and look for the online ones. "Introduction to Culture & Advanced Grammar in Spanish" is the only one that appears relevant right now.

Oregon State has advanced Spanish courses for $318/credit. https://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-d...panish.htm

But you are NOT going to find the other foreign language requirements (literature, culture, etc.) cheaply. If you're on a budget, this concentration is NOT going to work! It just is NOT AN INEXPENSIVE degree.

Instead, since you are on a budget, I would suggest that you get a generic BALS at COSC or the BALS with an Educational Studies minor at UMPI: https://online.umpi.edu/programs/bls-edu...minor.aspx This will save you money for step 2.

STEP 2: Obtain a Basic Diploma in Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language. http://dibeele.cepe.unam.mx/index.php The total cost for this diploma is 13400 Mexican pesos approximately $660 USD.

STEP 3: Obtain the Advanced Diploma for Spanish as a Foreign Language Teachers. http://diapele.cepe.unam.mx/index.php Maybe. The process for this one appears to be more difficult and I'm not sure that it can be done entirely online. This one costs 25900 Mexican pesos or approximately $1300 USD.

These diplomas appear to be equivalent to TEFL or CELTA certificates for teaching English. There may be better/cheaper options out there but I lack the Spanish skills to be able to find them.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Before going down this path, have you checked your state requirements for becoming a foreign language teacher? Some states have crazy licensing requirements and some won't accept ACE credits or are difficult to get them accepted. If the foreign language program doesn't work, maybe consider a bachelor's in liberal studies/arts. Some states require a master's degree for teaching so I would check into that as well and see what the requirements are. UMPI has a BLS with an education minor available. 
Having spent the day adding to the Sources of Credit page on the wiki, it appears that Ohio State MIGHT have the courses that you'd need to get a Spanish Language degree. However, these courses are NOT self-paced nor are they cheap. They're about $400/credit.

The foreign language concentration at COSC requires 9 credits IN the specific language. That'd be about $3600 just for those classes. I am unclear if the literature and "additional related electives" must also be about the foreign language (i.e. Spanish Literature and Spanish Philosphy) but that would add additional costs if so.

I still recommend the BALS at UMPI with the add-on Spanish language certificate.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(01-17-2021, 06:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-16-2021, 11:21 PM)VAG8088 Wrote: I need help with how to get a bachelor at Charter Oak to become a Spanish teacher, I’m thinking to do a general studies bachelor with a foreign language concentration. I’m s Spanish speaker. I’m very overwhelmed with how to start. I read many threads with info about so many places to start. I wake thinking to do the Spanish Clep, and Sophia courses.... please help what else ??

Have you looked at the courses COSC requires for the Foreign Language requirements?  I don't think they're easy to meet. https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...nguage.php

And, the cheapest way to bring in foreign language credits is to take the ACTFL exams through LTI - you can do the OPIc (oral) and WPT Internet (writing) exams for $108 each and if you pass with the high score, you get 6cr of UL and 6cr of UL for EACH exam.  24cr for $216 is a steal ($9/cr), and all from the comfort of your own home.  Unfortunately, COSC won't give you any credit for these exams because it's not on their Preferred Provider list.  So you'd be better off with a school that will give you credit for these, or one that has an inexpensive program (not sure which one that is).

EC has a BALS that would work, except that they've gotten rid of their AoF, so you can't list Spanish on your transcript - it's a bummer, since it would have worked perfectly.
Would TESU give me 24 credits if I do the ACtFl Spanish tests?
Yes, TESU gives credit for the ACTFL tests.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(07-04-2021, 11:13 AM)VAG8088 Wrote:
(01-17-2021, 06:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-16-2021, 11:21 PM)VAG8088 Wrote: I need help with how to get a bachelor at Charter Oak to become a Spanish teacher, I’m thinking to do a general studies bachelor with a foreign language concentration. I’m s Spanish speaker. I’m very overwhelmed with how to start. I read many threads with info about so many places to start. I wake thinking to do the Spanish Clep, and Sophia courses.... please help what else ??

Have you looked at the courses COSC requires for the Foreign Language requirements?  I don't think they're easy to meet. https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...nguage.php

And, the cheapest way to bring in foreign language credits is to take the ACTFL exams through LTI - you can do the OPIc (oral) and WPT Internet (writing) exams for $108 each and if you pass with the high score, you get 6cr of UL and 6cr of UL for EACH exam.  24cr for $216 is a steal ($9/cr), and all from the comfort of your own home.  Unfortunately, COSC won't give you any credit for these exams because it's not on their Preferred Provider list.  So you'd be better off with a school that will give you credit for these, or one that has an inexpensive program (not sure which one that is).

EC has a BALS that would work, except that they've gotten rid of their AoF, so you can't list Spanish on your transcript - it's a bummer, since it would have worked perfectly.
Would TESU give me 24 credits if I do the ACtFl Spanish tests?

Yes, if you score high enough, you can get more than 24cr - you can get up to 6cr LL for the LPT, 6cr LL for the RPT, 6cr LL+6cr UL for the OPIc or OPI, and 6cr LL+6cr UL for the WPT.  You can also get up to 9cr LL for the CLEP.

You can also take Study.com's SPA 105: Spanish for the Workplace for an additional 3cr.  You'll probably run out of space to put all of these credits at some point...

None of these are duplicating credits, so a max of 45cr at TESU for the 5 exams and 1 course.

And with a BALS, you can use all 36cr LL and 12cr UL in the AoS, the GE, and/or the Free Electives areas.  So you can complete almost an entire AoS with just these credits (I think you just need 1 UL course outside of this). You can literally do 40% of the degree with these credits.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • park0902

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,680 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,284 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,643 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,162 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,620 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso