Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
!!!HELP!!! Need as many credits as possible AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
Hey all,
new to the forum, been lurking for about a week or so. I was pretty ecstatic about using the FEMA classes to transfer over for easy credits for a police job I am planning on applying to. Problem is... as most of you already know TESC isnt accepting these anymore. Ive done quite a bit of searching and most of the info ive found is pretty outdated so I'm looking for some help with the most recent info possible. I'm still looking into my best option as far as TESC, COSC, and Excelsior and im kinda stuck on what the best option is at this point. I am currently still in the national guard (for about another 2 months) and looking to maximize my benefits for as long as i can. The quick list of questions i have so far are as follows but if anybody else has any helpful tips tricks or comments im open to listening... AGAIN, I've searched the forum for different answers but I have struggled finding recently updated information.

Questions:

1. What college is the best option for prior military looking to maximize training credits?
2. What college will more than likely transfer all of my previous community college credits?
3. What college will allow me to get some SUPER EASY AND QUICK credits (like FEMA previously)?
4. What other online courses are there that are quick and easy that transfer in?
mloc51 Wrote:Hey all,
new to the forum, been lurking for about a week or so. I was pretty ecstatic about using the FEMA classes to transfer over for easy credits for a police job I am planning on applying to. Problem is... as most of you already know TESC isnt accepting these anymore. Ive done quite a bit of searching and most of the info ive found is pretty outdated so I'm looking for some help with the most recent info possible. I'm still looking into my best option as far as TESC, COSC, and Excelsior and im kinda stuck on what the best option is at this point. I am currently still in the national guard (for about another 2 months) and looking to maximize my benefits for as long as i can. The quick list of questions i have so far are as follows but if anybody else has any helpful tips tricks or comments im open to listening... AGAIN, I've searched the forum for different answers but I have struggled finding recently updated information.

Questions:

1. What college is the best option for prior military looking to maximize training credits?
I found that TESC gave me the most between TESC and COSC.
2. What college will more than likely transfer all of my previous community college credits?
Both should be pretty good about it.
3. What college will allow me to get some SUPER EASY AND QUICK credits (like FEMA previously)?
I'm pretty sure from what I have seen that COSC still accepts FEMA. Easy and quick are all about perspective. I find the CLEPs and DSSTs quick and easy, or are you talking more along the lines of strictly FEMA?
4. What other online courses are there that are quick and easy that transfer in?
SL
TECEP
ePAKs
there are those cyber courses from texx or something like that. Im sure there are more.
If I were you I would start signing up for some CLEP and DSST exams as they are free for those in the military, and they transfer to most colleges. There is plenty of study material for these tests online and here in the forum, especially if you subscribe to instacert.

As far as which credits to go for, it would be easier to help determine that if the forum knew what credits you already had and what your desired degree would be. I say this because there are tons of sources of credit you could just start accumulating, but it might be a waste of time for you if it doesn't fit into your degree plan.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
COSC state college still accepts FEMA for direct transfer.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
If the sole purpose of your credit quest is to present a transcript with X number of credits to an employer have you thought about a credit bank?

Years ago I was thinking of applying to the ANG State OCS program. At the time you did not need a degree, just a transcript with a minimum of 60 semester hours from a regionally accredited college. I started a credit bank with Excelsior; I think it is now called the "One Transcript." I do not remember the fee, but it was less than enrolling and paying all the other associated fees. You would need to check with Excelsior, but back when I actively used this service they would transcript most credit through sources such as ACE. Some of the credit they allow on the "One Transcript" are courses they would not accept for an actual degree program. Some courses that would be considered duplicates may show up individually. Such as Bio 100 and Biology CLEP. Again, check with Excelsior for the most current information. It seems within the realm of possibility that they would transcript FEMA even though they do not accept it towards a degree program.

The way I discovered this is when I finally applied and had my transcripts evaluated for the Liberal Studies program they threw out duplicates and other credits that they did not accept towards their degree.
CLEP: Principles of Management (70), Info Systems and Computer Applications (61), Principles of Marketing (66), American Government (52), Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (56), Introductory Sociology (69), Introductory Psychology (69), Introduction to Educational Psychology (68), Human Growth and Development (68) DSST: Drug and Alcohol Abuse (60), Here's to Your Health (455), Introduction to World Religions (469), Management Information Systems (415), Ethics in America (443), Criminal Justice (434) ECE: Abnormal Psychology (B), Organizational Behavior (B) STRAIGHTERLINE: Business Statistics, Medical Terminology

BS Nursing, WGU - In progress
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior - Need Capstone, on hold.
AS Nursing, St. Petersburg College - Dec. 2014
AA, Coastline Community College - Aug. 2009
If you are still in the National Guard drive to your State HQ (call first Education Department) to see who tests for the National Guard with CLEP/DSST. Go take as many as you can in two months.

mloc51 Wrote:Hey all,

Questions:

Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Download unofficial JST transcript and make sure all your military courses are listed. Mine was not. You can upload them to JST for review.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

This is getting a little old and the prices have changed a little since I put it together. But below find an AS degree plan that utilizes FEMA at COSC and ends with an AS degree. this is what I usually refer people to when they have a situation like yours:

Charter Oak State College AS Degree (2 year pre-bachelors) CLEP/DSST Plan
Requirements in Red

Literature and Fine Arts (a) (3cr): Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP (6cr)

Social/Behavioral Science (b) (3cr): Criminal Justice DSST (3cr) or Psychology CLEP (3cr)

Ethics (d) (3cr): Ethics in America DSST (3cr) Saylor BUS205 Business Ethics/law may work (3cr)

Information Literacy (y) (1-3cr): COSC proficiency test will satisfy for free

Communication (6cr and 3cr): College Composition CLEP (credit for English 1 and 2 for 6cr) and DSST Public Speaking (3 cr) note two separate tests here!...you can probably get the speech requirement waived if you can demonstrate any history of public speaking or teaching.

US Gov (u) (3cr): US Government CLEP (3cr)

Non US History/Culture (n) (3cr):
Global Understanding (g) (3): DSST Human Cultural Geography (3cr) Satisfies BOTH

Mathematics (q) (3cr): College Math Clep (6cr) or Straighterline College Algebra (3cr) or ALEKS College Algebra (3cr) if ALEKS doesn’t look like it will work just do the Straighterline option to complete this.

Natural Science (s) (7 cr): CLEP Biology or Chemistry, DSST Natural History, DSST Astronomy, CC Science with Lab, Straighterline Science with Lab. Straighterline is an excellent choice for this requirement…likely the least painful way! Perhaps College Biology with a lab for non-majors? Local CC is a great source for this one as well. You must complete two courses in science; one of those must be a science course with a lab. Saylor.org has a couple of options that might be doable, at least they would be cheap.

Using the above you would roughly have about 31 credits via CLEP,DSST, Saylor, or Straighterline,. Another 30 or so credits would be completed via FEMA IS courses for FREE. Saylor also has several cheap courses (less than $30) that can be applied to the degree…this are preferable, perhaps, to FEMA as they offer more utility in your bachelors later on.

Rough Cost:
8 CLEP/DSST Exams @ $100 each = $800
2 Straighterline Courses approx. $180 (if finished in 30 days, Math/Science requirements)
COSC Matriculation/Graduation Fee’s, and the cost of the Cornerstone Course (3cr) roughly $1200
TOTAL = $2180

Online College Courses For Credits Towards Your Degree | StraighterLine
Legacy Courses and Majors | Saylor Academy
Free Clep Prep.com
Emergency Management Institute - Independent Study (IS) | Course List
ACE Credit Courses

With the above completed you would be halfway to a Bachelors degree. We can then re-assess where we are and where you wish to go.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Are you in the Air National Guard, or another branch? If the Air Force, take a bunch of CLEPs/DSSTs like other have said, but you wont need to use a credit bank or anything, they will show up on your CCAF transcript.
Intro to Computing - 67; Ethics in America - 53; Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 53; Principles of Management - 58; Lifespan Dev Psyc - 51; Human Resource Management - 46; Info Sys & comp Applications - 61; Principles of Supervision - 47; Human Cultural Geography - 51; Public Speaking - 55; College Mathmatics - 55; College Comp w/essay - 53; Technical Writing - 59;

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,085 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,220 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,671 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,814 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,576 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,357 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,761 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan warriortaupou 4 1,408 05-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Upper Level Credits at Excelsior - via ACE? Silly_Me 27 10,594 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: scout2family
Wink 6 Credits to Go! Rqst Help (Tesu BSBA) FinishTHEM 3 1,497 05-11-2018, 04:11 AM
Last Post: Yenisei