Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HES Poetry - "HarvardKey" Login Question
Hello All,

Yet another question for those of you who have taken the HES poetry courses. Yesterday I registered for the "Mayflower-Emerson" course, received a DCE (Dept of Continuing Ed) ID Number, created the DCE Pin necessary for logging into the site, signed up and paid for the course. However, in order to actually access the class or other Harvard info, I evidently need a "HarvardKey"? Claiming the "Key" requires a Harvard University ID -  different from the DCE ID. After looking through the all the info - I'm lost. I emailed the (hopefully) appropriate dept. asking for help, but received no response so far (I know...it's the weekend).

If anyone can help me I'd greatly appreciate it. Do I actually need a "HarvardKey" to log in to the class Sept 4th? If so, were you provided with the special Harvard University ID needed to set all this up?

I'm taking all this as a bad sign and my bravery is rapidly failing. If I can't even manage the login process Confused , I'm assuming the actual class will be quite a bit above my present level of knowledge...ACK!!!

Thanks so much!!!
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
Harvard Extension has one website for registration, academic records, etc. and another login for its canvas learning system.

This is the link for the registration:

https://www.extension.harvard.edu/login

This is the link for the canvas login:

https://canvas.harvard.edu/

If you go to the first link, you can login with the DCE ID and pin. On the same page, you can register for the canvas login key. Once that is activated, you can login to the second web site.

It is more confusing that it should be. Just so you know, Harvard also uses secondary authentication. This means that when you login to the course, you will need a cell phone that can receive a call from Harvard or has a Duo app installed that can generate a code or push a notification.

Haha! This might be toughest part of the class.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • SuZQ2
(08-25-2019, 01:03 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Harvard Extension has one website for registration, academic records, etc. and another login for its canvas learning system.

This is the link for the registration:

https://www.extension.harvard.edu/login

This is the link for the canvas login:

https://canvas.harvard.edu/

If you go to the first link, you can login with the DCE ID and pin.  On the same page, you can register for the canvas login key.  Once that is activated, you can login to the second web site.

It is more confusing that it should be.  Just so you know, Harvard also uses secondary authentication.  This means that when you login to the course, you will need a cell phone that can receive a call from Harvard or has a Duo app installed that can generate a code or push a notification.

Haha!  This might be toughest part of the class.

eriehiker to the rescue again!!  I've successfully used the extension login - I was emailed a DCE ID and temporary PIN...However, I still need a Harvard University ID to create the HarvardKey. I have the instructions from HarvardKey Help and HarvardKey Claim Checklist - still  Huh

When I was looking at the instructions, this is what I found...

What is my HUID?

Your Harvard University ID (HUID) is a unique eight-digit identification number assigned to you by Harvard. You should have received this number in an official communication such as an admissions packet, Registrar's letter, or HR paperwork. If you have a plastic Harvard ID card, your HUID is listed on the front of the card (do not include the extra ninth digit that may appear on the plastic card). 

To my knowledge, I was not issued a "HUID"

Were you emailed a secondary ID number (apart from the DCE ID)?

I'm beginning to think it's going to take a miracle for me to actually "see" the first day of class! Ughhhhhh!
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
I went back into my emails and it was sent to me when I registered. It is eight numbers long. They also gave me this link to us the HUID:

https://key.harvard.edu/
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • SuZQ2
(08-25-2019, 03:00 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I went back into my emails and it was sent to me when I registered.  It is eight numbers long.  They also gave me this link to us the HUID:

https://key.harvard.edu/

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond...I'm still stumped... Blush
This is from the Harvard login website...

DCE ID Number and DCEKey
Your DCE ID number uniquely identifies you within the Division of Continuing Education (DCE). It begins with the “@” symbol and is assigned to you the first time you create an online services account. 
Your DCEKey allows you initial access to DCE online applications, including online services. If you are new to Harvard and do not have a HarvardKey, you can create a DCEKey by selecting "create account" on the online services login page. If you already have a HarvardKey, you do not need to create a DCEKey. You may log in to DCE online applications using your HarvardKey.

I received this info in an email...All good.

Harvard Extension School Registration Confirmation
----------------------------------------------------------------

Name: SuZQ2

DCE ID Number
----------------------------------------------------------------
DCE ID number: @12345678

You've completed the first step of the registration process
To complete your course registration log in at

https://dceweb.harvard.edu/login/.

Still good...

Now, things get complicated
https://dceweb.harvard.edu/prod/gowlogn3...=extension

This is the initial login page. 

Login help
Welcome to Harvard Extension School Online Services!
In this online portal, new and current students can plan their academic journey - including registering for and managing courses, tracking certificate progress, and applying to degree programs.

New to Harvard Extension? Create an account below.
Fall registration is now open!
Register for courses through August 29. See course descriptions for dates and deadlines specific to each course. See below for information about meeting the English Proficiency requirement and taking the test of critical reading and writing skills.

Returning Students

Login with HarvardKey or DCEKey
This option is available to members of the Harvard community with a HarvardKey and to Harvard Extension and Summer School faculty, students, and admitted applicants with a DCEKey.
Login
Login with DCE ID and DCE PIN
DCE ID number:  DCE PIN:

New Students
You must be at least 15 years old to create a student account. If you do not already have a HarvardKey or DCEKey login credential, you will be prompted to create a DCEKey before creating your student account.

Create Account

I clicked Create Account. Up comes my email/password I used for my initial registration, then it asks for my name/birthdate/phone#... OK...Then it says the user already exists. Yup, I do exist. However, I do not have access to the HarvardKey...
I also tried Claim Your HarvardKey using the DCE ID with and without the @ symbol...Nope, doesn't work...

Well, after...
1. Bashing my head into my keyboard
2. Convincing myself I am definitely not "Harvard" material
I will try a last ditch effort tomorrow and call one of the multitudinous phone numbers provided by Harvard and utterly humiliate myself by trying to solve this...If I'm missing some utterly obvious point here...AHHHHHH...Maybe it's not too late to register at "Wossamotta U" instead! Wink
2011-12  CLEP

Update:

I received an email response from "The Big H" Wink  this morning giving me detailed instructions as to the location of my "HarvardKey". Followed the directions...Nope, Harvard ID "Not Yet Assigned". I called the Extension School Registrar's Office as per the "if you still cannot locate your ID" instructions and after a few phone transfers/conversations the upshot is...

I signed up for my class over the weekend when the school office was closed. I should receive the necessary info by August 28th.

Great News...I evidently am not a complete blockhead (just panic-stricken and in a rush). Big Grin

Again, many thanks to the Awesomely Awesome eriehiker for all his help yesterday!

(I've said this many times over the years - IC Forum members are the B-E-S-T!)
2011-12  CLEP

(08-26-2019, 10:12 AM)SuZQ2 Wrote: Update:

I received an email response from "The Big H" Wink  this morning giving me detailed instructions as to the location of my "HarvardKey". Followed the directions...Nope, Harvard ID "Not Yet Assigned". I called the Extension School Registrar's Office as per the "if you still cannot locate your ID" instructions and after a few phone transfers/conversations the upshot is...

I signed up for my class over the weekend when the school office was closed. I should receive the necessary info by August 28th.

Great News...I evidently am not a complete blockhead (just panic-stricken and in a rush). Big Grin

Again, many thanks to the Awesomely Awesome eriehiker for all his help yesterday!

(I've said this many times over the years - IC Forum members are the B-E-S-T!)

See, and you were writing yourself off as not up to the challenge. Pfffffttttt
Go get em! Smile
(08-26-2019, 08:46 PM)cookderosa Wrote: See, and you were writing yourself off as not up to the challenge. Pfffffttttt
Go get em! Smile

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Jennifer!

Still haven't become "real" to "The Great H" - I see another phone call in my future... Big Grin
2011-12  CLEP

Update to the Update Big Grin 

I can now (virtually) stroll through the Hallowed Halls of Harvard...After performing more computer steps than a NASA mission, I'm officially logged in and ready to go....

However, life will have its little jokes...I'm now prepping for Hurricane Dorian...Yup... Rolleyes
2011-12  CLEP

[-] The following 1 user Likes SuZQ2's post:
  • eriehiker
Like, but yikes. Good luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  masters in UX design or human computer interaction - MOOC question Sara143 7 638 01-04-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Sara143
  Question for Amberton University MAPD/Counseling students/grads Amberlinjeanne 3 686 06-21-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Anyone know anything about Arkansas State Online? Also have a question about doctorat Randyb100 7 1,166 03-15-2023, 09:01 PM
Last Post: siersema
  Question about ENEB Big Data Masters OTmina 3 1,128 02-17-2023, 08:05 PM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
Big Grin Where are my Amberton peeps? Have a question suzycupcake 7 1,124 10-30-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  Walden MBA transcript question Whitepines 9 1,506 07-30-2021, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Whitepines
  Harvard Extension quality of classes question rpmranger 6 1,603 09-07-2020, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Question on seminar graduate course Imbanewbie 9 1,745 08-28-2020, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Harvard Extension Admissions/Poetry In America mog538 10 2,801 04-08-2020, 09:37 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Question? dewisant 12 2,336 02-13-2020, 12:58 AM
Last Post: dewisant