Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HES Poetry in America
(06-01-2019, 06:09 PM)Ideas Wrote: I made at least two posts about my impressions, so you may want to see my history.

Thanks so much for guiding me to your prior posts - they were extremely helpful! Smile From your description, the course does sound daunting.

I think the sample essay will help me gauge where I am with regards to my formal writing skills (and if I need a refresher course). For me, essay writing has always induced instant panic,Confused which is why I go overboard with pre-class prep.
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
(06-02-2019, 06:13 PM)SuZQ2 Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 08:27 PM)elbebopkid Wrote: I've found them to be a lot of fun and not difficult. I got an 85 on one essay, 90 on another, and 95 on the third (with EFFUSIVE praise from the TA). They definitely provide sample essays, which I will post for you if you really want to see them. I can also post one of my own if you like. The course will either have unproctored, no time limit, open book weekly quizzes of 4-5 questions(which I prefer). Or a 50 question 12 hr time limit unproctored open book "take home" exam at the end of the course instead of the quizzes. But not both. I prefer the quizzes. They drop your two lowest quiz scores, so you can absolutely bomb two quizzes and still make 100.

You get 40% on discussion board participation - and it's solely on participation. I believe you really could start talking about Fred Van Vleet's ability to shut down Steph Curry's offense (basketball) and still get the participation score on discussion board. There's a limit of say 40-45 points in a week and you have to hit a target number of total points, which is easy to do early if you're consistent. The portal keeps track of your participation score, so it's easy to see if you're hitting your mark for the week. Comments count toward participation, so comment early and often. The ability to miss a few weeks and still get Max discussion board points is built in so people have a little flexibility in case work/life gets in the way.

You get 10% on your thesis paragraph that you turn in separately from the full essay to get feedback on. And again it's not graded. If you do it at all you get the full 10%. That's 50% of your grade knocked out right there. If you're wildly off course on your thesis paragraph, they'll steer you in the right direction with the feedback.

I don't want to call anyone out, but I have knowledge that someone turned out a 700 word essay of half hearted effort when it required 1500 words, got a C on the paper, and still managed a B+ based on the essay being so small a part of the grade.
The paper requires no outside academic research. They don't care or even want you to find academic sources and cite them. They want you to do a deep reading and form your own ideas, interpretations and thoughts on the poem(s), meanings, language and symbolism. It's pretty wide open what you can write about, though they offer topic suggestions. (I prefer a compare/contrast of two works so I have more to write about.)

I went from feeling like one of the smarter folks in my COSC cohorts to feeling like the dumbest person in the Harvard discussion group. (And that's a good thing. I love being the dumbest guy in the room, because I'll always learn so much!) It elevated my level of thinking about poetry. The course video material is really good and has a good variety. It's rarely ever just a classroom lecture.
Sign up ASAP. Don't be intimidated. I promise you won't regret it. You have nothing to lose but $250. Best deal in the last 20 years. Take it!
Thank you so much for your in-depth post - you really provided me with tremendous insight regarding the inner workings of the class.

Your offer to share both a sample essay and your own is tremendously kind – and GREATLY appreciated!! I have quite a bit of self-doubt when it comes to multi-page essay assignments, as my only experience in producing "long-ish" papers centered around SL Comp and my Capstone. I really think seeing what is expected regarding a 1500 word Harvard-level essay will be the deciding factor for me - I’ll know if I’m ready to jump in or if I need to boost my skills with a writing refresher course.

Again, many thanks for your help – and congratulations on your successful achievements! (85% - 95% on Harvard essays…very, very impressive! Smile )

I've PM'd you a link to a Google Drive folder containing the sample essays and my essay. Check your Private Messages. You can do this class.
(06-03-2019, 04:58 PM)elbebopkid Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 06:13 PM)SuZQ2 Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 08:27 PM)elbebopkid Wrote: I've found them to be a lot of fun and not difficult. I got an 85 on one essay, 90 on another, and 95 on the third (with EFFUSIVE praise from the TA). They definitely provide sample essays, which I will post for you if you really want to see them. I can also post one of my own if you like. The course will either have unproctored, no time limit, open book weekly quizzes of 4-5 questions(which I prefer). Or a 50 question 12 hr time limit unproctored open book "take home" exam at the end of the course instead of the quizzes. But not both. I prefer the quizzes. They drop your two lowest quiz scores, so you can absolutely bomb two quizzes and still make 100.

You get 40% on discussion board participation - and it's solely on participation. I believe you really could start talking about Fred Van Vleet's ability to shut down Steph Curry's offense (basketball) and still get the participation score on discussion board. There's a limit of say 40-45 points in a week and you have to hit a target number of total points, which is easy to do early if you're consistent. The portal keeps track of your participation score, so it's easy to see if you're hitting your mark for the week. Comments count toward participation, so comment early and often. The ability to miss a few weeks and still get Max discussion board points is built in so people have a little flexibility in case work/life gets in the way.

You get 10% on your thesis paragraph that you turn in separately from the full essay to get feedback on. And again it's not graded. If you do it at all you get the full 10%. That's 50% of your grade knocked out right there. If you're wildly off course on your thesis paragraph, they'll steer you in the right direction with the feedback.

I don't want to call anyone out, but I have knowledge that someone turned out a 700 word essay of half hearted effort when it required 1500 words, got a C on the paper, and still managed a B+ based on the essay being so small a part of the grade.
The paper requires no outside academic research. They don't care or even want you to find academic sources and cite them. They want you to do a deep reading and form your own ideas, interpretations and thoughts on the poem(s), meanings, language and symbolism. It's pretty wide open what you can write about, though they offer topic suggestions. (I prefer a compare/contrast of two works so I have more to write about.)

I went from feeling like one of the smarter folks in my COSC cohorts to feeling like the dumbest person in the Harvard discussion group. (And that's a good thing. I love being the dumbest guy in the room, because I'll always learn so much!) It elevated my level of thinking about poetry. The course video material is really good and has a good variety. It's rarely ever just a classroom lecture.
Sign up ASAP. Don't be intimidated. I promise you won't regret it. You have nothing to lose but $250. Best deal in the last 20 years. Take it!
Thank you so much for your in-depth post - you really provided me with tremendous insight regarding the inner workings of the class.

Your offer to share both a sample essay and your own is tremendously kind – and GREATLY appreciated!! I have quite a bit of self-doubt when it comes to multi-page essay assignments, as my only experience in producing "long-ish" papers centered around SL Comp and my Capstone. I really think seeing what is expected regarding a 1500 word Harvard-level essay will be the deciding factor for me - I’ll know if I’m ready to jump in or if I need to boost my skills with a writing refresher course.

Again, many thanks for your help – and congratulations on your successful achievements! (85% - 95% on Harvard essays…very, very impressive! Smile )

I've PM'd you a link to a Google Drive folder containing the sample essays and my essay. Check your Private Messages. You can do this class.
I can't thank you enough for taking all this time and trouble to help me. Unfortunately, for some reason I was unable to access your Google Drive folder without first receiving permission using a Google email address. I attempted to PM you my email address, but it seems your PM has been disabled. If I've missed something, please let me know...I guess I need to add a computer skills class to my "to do" list...ughh...
Again, many thanks... And thanks for the vote of confidence! I look forward to reading the essays. Smile
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
I think it's because I used my harvard account google drive. (My personal one is completely full!) It looks like they have different google drive default permissions. I fixed it, I think.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • SuZQ2
(06-04-2019, 09:02 AM)elbebopkid Wrote: I think it's because I used my harvard account google drive. (My personal one is completely full!) It looks like they have different google drive default permissions. I fixed it, I think.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Smile  I got it...literally as well as figuratively!! I was able to see your sample essays and discover exactly what the course is looking for - essentially, take a poem, go through it line by line, find and write about the deeper meaning/themes, etc.

My plan now is to take a poem and produce a "practice" essay using your samples as guides. This will not only help me brush up on my MLA formatting (something I haven't done in six years) but see if I can actually create some sort of insightful analysis.

Wow, again, thanks so much. You've opened a door to something I never in a million years thought would be possible!
2011-12  CLEP

(06-03-2019, 03:46 PM)SuZQ2 Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 06:09 PM)Ideas Wrote: I made at least two posts about my impressions, so you may want to see my history.

Thanks so much for guiding me to your prior posts - they were extremely helpful! Smile From your description, the course does sound daunting.

I think the sample essay will help me gauge where I am with regards to my formal writing skills (and if I need a refresher course). For me, essay writing has always induced instant panic,Confused which is why I go overboard with pre-class prep.

Well, I don't want to scare anyone away. As mentioned by someone else, you can still get a great grade even if you don't ace the essay. My feedback backs up what was said before too -- that they care about your thoughts, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unity College: America's Environmental College bjcheung77 0 890 08-23-2020, 06:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Harvard Extension Admissions/Poetry In America mog538 10 2,801 04-08-2020, 09:37 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Harvard Poetry in America: Season #2 Coming Soon eriehiker 1 978 11-17-2019, 06:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Harvard Poetry Teacher/HS Student Discount to $250 eriehiker 4 2,144 09-02-2019, 02:24 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  HES Poetry - "HarvardKey" Login Question SuZQ2 10 4,803 09-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Last Post: SuZQ2
  HES Poetry - Registration Question SuZQ2 8 2,593 08-07-2019, 09:39 AM
Last Post: SuZQ2
  Harvard Poetry In America Series Tuition Increase to $1000 ReyMysterioso 13 2,972 07-05-2019, 07:54 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Goal Achieved: 20 Grad. English Credits/Harvard Poetry Series Complete eriehiker 8 2,113 05-30-2019, 10:34 AM
Last Post: ChilliDawg
  HES Poetry in America Courses hsfamfun 1 1,187 11-21-2018, 09:09 PM
Last Post: eriehiker