Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of Phlebotomy Workshop
If you haven't heard of these, there are companies across the country that offer phlebotomy training. On Allnurses.com, they've talked about one-day workshops. In Texas, I've only seen two-day workshops offered by two companies. One is $350, and the other is $450. 

I went to one of these workshops. It's not accredited, but it's regulated by the Texas Workforce Commission. The owner is a former RN and medical assistant. Most of the instructors are CNAs, phlebotomists, and medical assistants. The first day was entirely didactic, and we had a 100-question, take-home test. The second day involved seven venipunctures. There were no capillary sticks. We completed the venipunctures that we were supposed to complete, but the instructor didn't really take her time to make sure everyone got everything because she was in a rush to go home early. The good part, though, is that you only have to pay $50 to show up on the second day of future classes to get more practice. 

What I've gathered from the classmates I had and the instructor's stories, the people who take these workshops are mostly CNAs, corrections officers or deputies from sheriff's departments who need to take blood from DUI suspects, researchers, and nursing students who need a flexible job while in school. I would not recommend these workshops for those who want to become phlebotomists. I would recommend programs that include 30-100 venipunctures plus 10 capillary sticks for national certification purposes and the necessary experience to be a good phlebotomist. 

The instructor was kind of misleading when it came to job opportunities. She said that we could get any phlebotomy job now with our certificate of completion, and that national certification was only for higher pay. This is not quite true. When you don't graduate from an accredited program that is at least a couple of hundred hours long, a lot of employers are going to want experience and/or national certification. There are some people who get hired because some employers don't know anything about these workshops, but the institute I attended has had some complaints from students who said that employers didn't recognize their certificates of completion. 

Some hospitals require one of the recognized certifications regardless of where you received your training. The instructor talked about blood banks and plasma centers, but these employers often don't care about what training you have because they regularly hire people with no experience and train them themselves. I used to work for one. However, the full phlebotomy training programs are usually over $1,000 and require several weeks of training. Phlebotomists normally make $10-16 an hour, so this may not be a good investment. Medical assistant programs normally include phlebotomy training. 

For national certification, almost every organization requires 30+ venipunctures and 10 capillary sticks. But, you know me. I'm always coming up with life hacks. There's this lesser-known organization that doesn't have a minimum unless you live in a state that requires a minimum. That organization is the American Medical Certification Association. I didn't find any jobs in Texas that mention AMCA, but most phlebotomy and medical assistant job ads don't specify which certification they want. I did find many job ads in other states that mention AMCA. I think its mostly known in the East. It's a partner with NOCTI and is approved by NCCA, the New Jersey Board of Medical Examiners, the New Jersey Department of Labor, and Job Corps. Additionally, it's accepted by Louisiana, which is one of the strictest states when it comes to phlebotomy regulation; but, Louisiana residents have to complete 100 venipunctures to sit for the exam.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • cookderosa
Thanks for the info. My DD eventually hopes to go into medicine and was thinking that her undergrad job should have something that relates to her field. We've thought of everything from nursing assistant to pharmacy tech to phlebotomy. It's hard because we live in a small college town, so there might not be too many opportunities.

Based on what you've posted, I might want to rule out phlebotomy... sounds a bit involved. I've studied pharm tech before and it's much simpler.... but I'll pass this along to her at any rate.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(01-12-2018, 01:06 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Thanks for the info.  My DD eventually hopes to go into medicine and was thinking that her undergrad job should have something that relates to her field.  We've thought of everything from nursing assistant to pharmacy tech to phlebotomy.   It's hard because we live in a small college town, so there might not be too many opportunities.

Based on what you've posted, I might want to rule out phlebotomy... sounds a bit involved.   I've studied pharm tech before and it's much simpler.... but I'll pass this along to her at any rate.

I think becoming a CNA, MA, or EMT would be best. Some EMTs work as ER techs instead of on ambulances. A traditional MA program would take longest. EMT school would be second longest. A lot of CNA programs are only a month. Phlebotomists don't have the variety of duties and patient care that CNAs, MAs, and EMTs have. 

From the research I did many years ago, it's hard to get a hospital position as a pharmacy technician with no experience. Entry-level pharmacy techs are usually in retail. In general, this isn't a job that involves patient care or much contact with doctors, especially in retail.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(01-12-2018, 09:01 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 01:06 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Thanks for the info.  My DD eventually hopes to go into medicine and was thinking that her undergrad job should have something that relates to her field.  We've thought of everything from nursing assistant to pharmacy tech to phlebotomy.   It's hard because we live in a small college town, so there might not be too many opportunities.

Based on what you've posted, I might want to rule out phlebotomy... sounds a bit involved.   I've studied pharm tech before and it's much simpler.... but I'll pass this along to her at any rate.

I think becoming a CNA, MA, or EMT would be best. Some EMTs work as ER techs instead of on ambulances. A traditional MA program would take longest. EMT school would be second longest. A lot of CNA programs are only a month. Phlebotomists don't have the variety of duties and patient care that CNAs, MAs, and EMTs have. 

From the research I did many years ago, it's hard to get a hospital position as a pharmacy technician with no experience. Entry-level pharmacy techs are usually in retail. In general, this isn't a job that involves patient care or much contact with doctors, especially in retail.

Good point. Maybe CNA might be the best... I don't want her to work too much while she's studying since she's a chem major. (LOL it seems impossible to this business major!)

Thanks again Smile
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
When I was in my early twenties (centuries ago), I worked for a few months as a phlebotomist. My local hospital had an on-the-job training program. They had me drawing blood my first day on the job. Really, certification programs aren't even necessary for this type of work. Yes, I understand that many hospitals require certification, but are they really necessary? No, they are not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Marcus Aurelius's post:
  • burbuja0512
(01-16-2018, 01:21 PM)Marcus Aurelius Wrote: Really, certification programs aren't even necessary for this type of work. Yes, I understand that many hospitals require certification, but are they really necessary? No, they are not.

That's because most hospitals are no longer willing to provide training. However, there are blood banks and plasma centers that will provide training. At a blood bank, you may not receive phlebotomy training right away, though. They might start you on other duties, such as screening donors to see if they meet the requirements.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P