Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harvard Extension School
Jennifer,

It is great to hear about your experience at Harvard Extension school. I took two of my undergraduate classes through the school (General Chemistry I and II). My experience wasn't exactly same as yours. I did not have a very positive experience. The material wasn't the hardest material in the world, but it was a very difficult class. I thought the instructor was horrible! I ended spending 12-15 hours of HW a week mainly because I spent so much time learning the material myself through webpages. I passed with a good grade and I understand the information very well. I felt that most people were there so they have something with Harvard on it, and not because the education is the best.

It was good to hear about your experience. Good luck in the future with your courses.

Jonathan
Nymet123 Wrote:I felt that most people were there so they have something with Harvard on it, and not because the education is the best.

This is unfortunate and I hope it does not represent the vast majority of students. My fascination with the idea stems from my perceived challenge of the course work and the enjoyment of taking a class with other students who have a genuine passion for learning. I think we've all known people who were merely "checking the block" and frankly, I don't enjoy being in a class like that. I'm glad Jennifer seems to be having a much more positive experience. I'd love to hear more from other HES students, if you're out there.
B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
graduated Cum Laude
321 total SH of college credit
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)
ImRaddDuhhh Wrote:Bah, I was going to do the chemistry 1-2 during HSS 09, but instead I am just going to begin in the Health Careers Program for my pre-medical diploma in the fall.

It gives me a little bit longer to finish my B.A. at TESC. So I am pleased about that.
>>

That's terrific!! I want to hear all about it!
[QUOTE=Nymet123]Jennifer,

It is great to hear about your experience at Harvard Extension school. I took two of my undergraduate classes through the school (General Chemistry I and II). My experience wasn't exactly same as yours. I did not have a very positive experience. The material wasn't the hardest material in the world, but it was a very difficult class. I thought the instructor was horrible! I ended spending 12-15 hours of HW a week mainly because I spent so much time learning the material myself through webpages. I passed with a good grade and I understand the information very well. I felt that most people were there so they have something with Harvard on it, and not because the education is the best.

It was good to hear about your experience. Good luck in the future with your courses.
>>

Sorry to hear about your experience. Did you go on to do pre-med elsewhere or are you in progress now? (based on the chem sequence-and then being here on a CLEP board- just wondering)

I would agree that the instructor can make or break the class!! I had some terrible instructors over the years (and work with a few too- but that's for another day LOL) I also would say that I watched a lot of the Harvard lectures online before I "picked" my psych instructor (and now my stats instructor). I'm also pretty sure who my summer session professors will be, but I'm also sure I'll get at least one dud before I leave LOL. I doubt that there are too many choices for the science classes.

As for people's motives for attending the school? Why does anyone attend any school? Too many motives to speculate. I hear some people pick their college based on the football team LOL.
Ok, I JUST got my term paper back (an hour ago!) and our final exam is tomorrow! Nothing like a little stress to study by. Anyway, I'm excited to report I didn't fail- I got a 98!! So, I need a 79 or better on my final tomorrow to pull off an A in my first class. Wish me luck!!

P.S. My term paper was on compulsive hoarding if anyone is interested- but the strict APA style required makes for kinda dry reading. My professor's comments are on it too.
cookderosa Wrote:Ok, I JUST got my term paper back (an hour ago!) and our final exam is tomorrow! Nothing like a little stress to study by. Anyway, I'm excited to report I didn't fail- I got a 98!! So, I need a 79 or better on my final tomorrow to pull off an A in my first class. Wish me luck!!

P.S. My term paper was on compulsive hoarding if anyone is interested- but the strict APA style required makes for kinda dry reading. My professor's comments are on it too.

Wow, congrats! What a great score! Good luck with your final & let us know how it goes.
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkBlue"]B.S., Biology, Excelsior College
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
cookderosa Wrote:Ok, I JUST got my term paper back (an hour ago!) and our final exam is tomorrow! Nothing like a little stress to study by. Anyway, I'm excited to report I didn't fail- I got a 98!! So, I need a 79 or better on my final tomorrow to pull off an A in my first class. Wish me luck!!

Awesome! I'm excited for you.
B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
graduated Cum Laude
321 total SH of college credit
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)
-----------
best of luck!

Jennifer,

I must tell you that you have been my inspiration the entire time on here.

Through AS, BS and now into my master's degree I knew that if you can do it with all that you do, then certainly someone like me, only half crazy has absolutely no excuse not to try..

I enrolled in AMU for my masters because it is online, but frankly it has been very hard and the instructors somewhat inflexible.

I am thinking very strongly on going the Harvard Extension route, since if they are going to be inflexible, the diploma might as well say Harvard on it. What do you think?

I will be watching your posts. Thanks for posting.

Congrats on the A on your term paper. You are obviously a great student. mom, teacher, etc. etc. etc. I could go on and on.

Big Grin
ImustStudy
----------------------------------------
A.S. Liberal Arts- Excelsior College 2007
B.S. Criminal Justice- Excelsior College 2008
M.B.A.- California Coast University 2012
EdS- Liberty University 2014
EdD- Liberty University 2016

Miscellaneous graduate coursework from University of The Rockies and California InterContinental University (that did me absolutely NO GOOD whatsoever)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 297 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,079 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,525 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,587 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 909 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 557 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fake Harvard Students Alpha 0 590 11-02-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,064 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,653 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 672 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77