Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harvard University Kennedy School of Government Pathway
Hi all! I don't usually post, but I'm always lurking. I haven't seen anyone share this, but I thought it'd be of interest so I'm sharing it here. 

First and foremost, some background! As plenty of you know, EdX is an invaluable resource. So much so, that I, wanting to go to Harvard Extension School, signed up for the MITX pathway program DEDP MicroMasters program- Data, Economics, and Development Practice. Originally, I had planned on doing a Development Practice master's degree by transferring my MITX MicroMasters to Harvard University's Extension School. That didn't work out so well for me. Even though the program advertises itself as not requiring programming or advanced mathematics knowledge, it does. I greatly struggled with the content, and decided to stop doing the certificate/MicroMasters program after three attempts. 

What's interesting though, is that I saw an interesting announcement on Harvard's website. I was looking for online certificate programs, as I'd done a few before, and I really enjoyed them, and that's how I stumbled upon Harvard Kennedy Schools Public Leadership credential: https://www.hks.harvard.edu/educational-...spect_drip

Cost is $5150 for the full module set with an expected price increase to $995 per module in January.

What's interesting about the program is it seems to serve as somewhat of a pathway. 

Per the website: Why the Public Leadership Credential?
Learn 100 percent online
Equip yourself with a toolkit for taking immediate action in your community
Enroll in one course, take multiple courses, or complete all six courses and the capstone to earn the credential
Become eligible to apply for a special pathway to Harvard Kennedy School’s MC/MPA Degree
Become eligible to apply for a special pathway to Harvard Extension School’s Master of Liberal Arts program in Government

Very interesting. I checked the Extension Schools page for this program as well. Anyone who completes the certificate, will only need to complete a specific writing course to then be able to apply for full admission (some programs require 3 or 4 classes even for the masters degrees before you can be admitted) and the credential satisfies some coursework for the MC/MPA, and Government program at the extension school as well. For anyone interested in government, politics, public administration, etc. this is an option.

I think this is an interesting opportunity and amazing value. I thought I'd share. I start the credential in January. I think there will be more programs like this to come in the future. 

If anyone is interested (in me following up on this as I progress), please let me know, and I'll keep you updated.
Harvard Extension School- HESA President- 2024
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy- In Prog.
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English- In Prog., Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- May 2024
Harvard Uni- Kennedy School of Gov.- PLC- Public Leadership Credential- 01/2023
Bottega Uni- MBA-Feb. 2022
Kennesaw State Uni- BA English-Dec. 2021
Charter Oak State College- BS/AS Psychology- 2013
[-] The following 8 users Like collegecareerstudent's post:
  • allvia, ARhead, ashkir, FastTrackDegree, hsfamfun, neutrino, Pikachu, SteveFoerster
Quite interesting info!!!
Thanks for sharing it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kab's post:
  • collegecareerstudent
(10-06-2020, 01:57 PM)Kab Wrote: Quite interesting info!!!
Thanks for sharing it.

It's my pleasure. I'm quite a nerd about this stuff! I think more programs like this will pop up in the future for multiple schools, but it seems like Harvard is leading the way at this time.
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy- In Prog.
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English- In Prog., Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- May 2024
Interesting indeed!
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatBankDude's post:
  • collegecareerstudent
For those interested in more details, see their FAQ page: https://www.hks.harvard.edu/educational-.../about/faq

To quote:
How can I use the PLC as a pathway to the MC/MPA program at Harvard Kennedy School?
Learners who have earned the Public Leadership Credential may apply to the Mid-Career Master in Public Administration (MC/MPA) during the standard admissions cycle. If accepted, the PLC credential replaces three of the eight courses required for the MC/MPA. This path allows learners to attend the MC/MPA program for just the summer session and one semester instead of a whole year. This will also reduce the overall cost of the MC/MPA program by the equivalent of three courses.

How can I use the PLC as a pathway to an ALM degree in government at Harvard Extension School?
After completing the PLC, learners can enroll in the proseminar for the ALM in Government (SSCI 100b – Proseminar: Introduction to Graduate Studies and Scholarly Writing in the Social Sciences – Government and History) at Harvard Extension School (HES). If they receive a grade of B or better in the proseminar course, they will be eligible to apply for ALM admissions. If accepted, the completed PLC counts as 12 credits toward the 48 credit ALM degree. Credit is only awarded for a complete PLC credential; individual PLC courses are not available for credit at HES. The PLC program will email a letter of completion confirmation upon request – to admissions@extension.harvard.edu. For additional information please visit the Harvard Extension School's website.
(10-08-2020, 01:01 AM)collegecareerstudent Wrote: For those interested in more details, see their FAQ page: https://www.hks.harvard.edu/educational-.../about/faq

To quote:
How can I use the PLC as a pathway to the MC/MPA program at Harvard Kennedy School?
Learners who have earned the Public Leadership Credential may apply to the Mid-Career Master in Public Administration (MC/MPA) during the standard admissions cycle. If accepted, the PLC credential replaces three of the eight courses required for the MC/MPA. This path allows learners to attend the MC/MPA program for just the summer session and one semester instead of a whole year. This will also reduce the overall cost of the MC/MPA program by the equivalent of three courses.

How can I use the PLC as a pathway to an ALM degree in government at Harvard Extension School?
After completing the PLC, learners can enroll in the proseminar for the ALM in Government (SSCI 100b – Proseminar: Introduction to Graduate Studies and Scholarly Writing in the Social Sciences – Government and History) at Harvard Extension School (HES). If they receive a grade of B or better in the proseminar course, they will be eligible to apply for ALM admissions. If accepted, the completed PLC counts as 12 credits toward the 48 credit ALM degree. Credit is only awarded for a complete PLC credential; individual PLC courses are not available for credit at HES. The PLC program will email a letter of completion confirmation upon request – to admissions@extension.harvard.edu. For additional information please visit the Harvard Extension School's website.

Thanks for the reviews. How's your PLC experience so far?
Hey Robby, I got your private message and this post, as well as some other ones. I'm in three degree programs right now and finishing finals this month. I will respond, in detail, at the end of the month on this thread and in your PMs. Overwhelmingly, it's been a positive experience.
I have a friend who earned an ALB (History) from the Extension school and then got accepted into the Harvard PhD program in History.  She is very smart, had a great GPA and already knew a bunch of the Professors.  I've been led to believe that this is fairly common throughout the University.  Sorry, but I have only anecdotal evidence for this.  I think the idea is that Harvard respects their own degrees and recognizes that excellence at HES can translate well into any grad school, even their own.  So it doesn't surprise me that there's a way to translate a cert into a grad program admission.  Of course, I think it takes more than simply completing a few courses. I'd guess that you have to knock them all out of the park.
[-] The following 3 users Like Alpha's post:
  • collegecareerstudent, FastTrackDegree, Pikachu
I'm a Masters student at the Extension School now. My emphasis is in English, though you can get a graduate degree in Government from HES by completing the HKS Certificate Program. I've completed two of the required courses thus far for the certificate- scoring an 88 in one and a 91 in the other. If you normally get a 70 or higher, you are considered passing. You're required to meet in groups live per week per class to do group assignments, so it's a bit of a time investment. One of the people in my group won Philippines Idol and has a family history of politicians. I bought her music album on Amazon. It's pretty rare to get a HES degree and then parlay that into one of the other graduate schools. Then again, I am pretty sure after grad school, most students aren't looking for a second masters or even a PhD. However, if you go to HES, you can usually be approved during your tenure at the school to take a class at either the Graduate School of Education or the Divinity School to add to your transcript. I hope this information helps for some people considering!
[-] The following 1 user Likes collegecareerstudent's post:
  • Pikachu
Hello everyone! I'm bringing this thread back to life. My transcript is attached. Next week, week 6 of my final class is underway. Also, my capstone launches in January, after which I'll have the PLC credential. Once I obtain it, I'll post an image of that as well. Let me know if you have any questions!

.png   hkstrans.png (Size: 142.38 KB / Downloads: 124)
[-] The following 4 users Like collegecareerstudent's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, Londinensi, Pikachu, smartdegree

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 224 Today, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,057 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 880 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,453 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,842 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,970 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,362 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,310 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000