Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Anyone Completed the Straighterline Medical Terminology?
Ok, so I need to get medical terminology on my transcript, but I have taught it for several years, so I would prefer to test out of it, but my prospective school wants to charge me $500 to take their challenge exam. I'm looking for a faster, less expensive method and thought about straighterline. Has anyone here done this through SL? Can I just do the final exam, or do I have to write papers? I don't mind doing some other exams, but I'm just wondering how much work it involves? Would I be able to do the exams without their textbook? Does anyone know of any other options? I need medical terminology and pathophysiology and pharmacology. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
I took the course as a way of familiarising myself with Straighterline. I have many years of medical experience, so I thought it was a good place to start. I decided to buy the book (3rd Ed. cheap on Half.com). I finished in one day with a 93.88%. There are 4 exams (40 questions each), a midterm and final (80 questions each). I also completed 14 "homework" assignments (10 questions each).

The exam questions are straight out of the book. Many prefix, suffix and combining type questions. There is also a selection of physiology type questions, "an overproduction of XXX causes BLANK". You should have no problem with your background.

Gaz
CLEP: Principles of Management (70), Info Systems and Computer Applications (61), Principles of Marketing (66), American Government (52), Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (56), Introductory Sociology (69), Introductory Psychology (69), Introduction to Educational Psychology (68), Human Growth and Development (68) DSST: Drug and Alcohol Abuse (60), Here's to Your Health (455), Introduction to World Religions (469), Management Information Systems (415), Ethics in America (443), Criminal Justice (434) ECE: Abnormal Psychology (B), Organizational Behavior (B) STRAIGHTERLINE: Business Statistics, Medical Terminology

BS Nursing, WGU - In progress
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior - Need Capstone, on hold.
AS Nursing, St. Petersburg College - Dec. 2014
AA, Coastline Community College - Aug. 2009
:iagree: It was a very straightforward course with prior exposure. Have text handy and you will speed through the material. I scored 94 and completed the course in 2days.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Any thoughts on these 2 options for your other 2 needs?

Would the ECE for Pathophysiology work?

Straighterline has Pharmacology "coming soon".
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
You're kidding, right? You've TAUGHT a course, and your prospective school wants you to take it or test out of it. Ridiculous.
NAP, I'm planning on doing the ECE Pathophysiology, but I'm afraid that since their course combines pathophys and pharmocology, they won't take it. I wish SL had their Pharm class up and running because I would take it in a heartbeat.

Bric or Gaz - What text do they use? I didn't see it when I did a quick site view. I probably have the text already since publishers send me texts weekly. Thanks for the feedback!

Latebloomer - I know, I have taught medical terminology for over 10 years in AS degree programs, but because it isn't on my transcript I have to have it. I just can't swallow paying $500 to take it through them though. I wish I could just challenge out of it at my own school, but since I'm the one that teaches the course, I would be creating the challenge exam! Not ethical, so I can't do it, although the school would probably figure out a way for me to do it, plus it would be free! I may ask another instructor who does teach med terms occassionally if she would create a challenge exam for me, then it would be on an RA school transcript instead of worrying about the SL course. I doubt this school has ever heard of SL and challenge exams are brand new to them too.

Just trying to figure out my options.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B

CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
FEMA - PDS + more
That would be great, if you could challenge it through your school and another instructor.

Do not let this delay your plans (as you knows things happen), but keep an eye on SL, while you are working on different options. This post says more SL courses could be available as soon as 2 weeks. http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...post115325

SL website lists this textbook - Thierer, Nina; Breitbard, Lisa. Medical Terminology: Language for Health Care, 3rd edition. McGraw-Hill, 2010. ISBN: 9780077302344

Please keep us updated on your progress.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
marianne202 Wrote:Bric or Gaz - What text do they use? I didn't see it when I did a quick site view. I probably have the text already since publishers send me texts weekly. Thanks for the feedback!

Textbook sold under both ISBN #s. One has extra CD set.

ISBN 978-0077302344 (MP) Medical Terminology: Language for Health Care by Nina Thierer (book/student cdrom and 2-audio cds). I purchased this set for the added 2-CD set and they were well worth it; but I love this stuff. It's going for $15 on amazon (marketplace).

ISBN 978-0073374727 Medical Terminology: Language for Health Care by Nina Thierer (book/student cdrom)

Could you have the course transferred to Excelsior and then request an updated Excelsior transcript sent to the school in question?

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Bric and NAP thanks for the book info. I think I have a copy of this book laying around here...I have about 85 textbooks at home and another 40 or so at work! The only other instructor at my school that could do this has been out sick for the last month. Bric I did talk with EC and they will apply credits to my transcript under unapplied, but I worry that the SL credits will show up as SL on the transcript, like Aleks did and that Stephens may not accept it that way since they are not a SL partner school. That is why I'm trying to look at all my options. Thanks again!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B

CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
FEMA - PDS + more
Would your school take SL credit via ACE?
Next Goal - MS in Pharmacy, Major Pharmaceutical Sciences, concentration Forensic Science via University of Florida
BSAST Health Services Technology 2012
AA General Ed 2012
AAS Medical Laboratory Technician HCC 1994

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
Earned 127, currently enrolled at TESC working on last 6 credits in order to graduate by 6/2012!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 1,010 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 339 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 457 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,148 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 827 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 664 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,972 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,071 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  Finally completed with 3.98 GPA !!! NewatTESU 13 1,831 02-27-2022, 07:15 PM
Last Post: NewatTESU
  Beal U & St George - Medical Direct Admissions bjcheung77 0 473 01-25-2022, 01:45 AM