Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Has Anyone Tried Modern States?
(05-09-2017, 08:50 AM)zapproximator Wrote:
bghill Wrote:So I went ahead and gave the Modern States Introductory Business Law course a try.

The course has seven modules, which map to the subject area breakdown on the CLEP. Each module has from 3 to 11 subsections -- the number of subsections being roughly proportional to the percentage of coverage on the exam.

Each subsection has a video, accompanied by a transcript. (You can also access the transcripts separately.) The videos ranged from 1.5 minutes to about 17 minutes. You can view the video at anywhere from 1x to 2x speed.

The videos are your basic talking head lectures, with a few caption slides in the background. (The caption slides are also available separately.) I thought the lecturer did a decent job of making the material clear and of not being completely boring and droney in his presentation.

Some subsections (though not all) also have one or two "homework" questions. These are multiple choice questions like the ones you would encounter on the CLEP. In fact, they appear to be derived from the questions in the Official CLEP Study Guide. There were 28 questions in the entire course, so you're effectively getting a free, 28-question practice test.

Each module also has "supplementary reading", which is a chapter from the free, online textbook that is part of the course (downloadable in PDF format). The textbook seemed fairly mediocre to me, but it is another way of accessing the content, for those who prefer reading. Also, there was an occasional topic that was covered in the textbook but not in the lectures.

The syllabus for the course says, "it will take you less than 25 hours to prepare for the exam." If you just go through the course, it will take you a lot less! I probably spent about 5.5 hours, with viewing the videos at accelerated speed and skimming the textbook. I did, however, already have a fair amount of familiarity with legal topics of one sort or another, so YMMV.

I'm not sure if the course covered every single thing you might encounter on the CLEP, but it certainly covers the vast majority of topics you will encounter; at least, that is what I conclude after having taken the sample test in the Official CLEP Study Guide that I borrowed from my local public library. (I scored 87% on the practice exam.)

So, yes, I think you could pass the CLEP just using the Modern States course -- although if you're not at all familiar with the US legal system or legal concepts, you might want to supplement it from other sources -- and I would definitely recommended it if you're looking for a free prep resource.

I never got the email that some others received, but once I finished the course, I emailed whitney@modernstates.org (as mentioned upthread) and asked if the voucher was still available. She emailed me back a voucher code for the CLEP fee, and instructions on how to get the proctor fee reimbursed. When I went to register on the CLEP site, the voucher code worked like a charm -- the registration cost dropped to $0!

So, I don't know how long the offer lasts, or whether you can use it for more than one course/CLEP, but I'm getting my Introductory Business Law CLEP for free! Thank you Modern States, and thank you zapproximator for the tip!

That's awesome!!
Hope the exam goes well.

What would you suggest as a supplement to Modern States for this exam. Need to take it this semester if I want to graduate in the Spring.

(06-01-2018, 07:56 AM)Jimmy999 Wrote: I've completed 8 CLEP through Modern States all for FREE. Great program, however you do need to use other materials to prepare. I buy old REA books off ebay for $4 or $5 delivered and use the disks with sample tests on them to prepare. I'm undefeated so far!

Wow, I wish I could find the books that cheap on eBay as I haven't been able to locate any of them even close that price so far.I need to take 4 CLEP exams this Fall to have the change to graduate in the spring and would love some suggestions on what to use as a supplement to the Modern States courses. Here's a list of the exams I need to take:
Principles of Marketing
Principles of Management
Information Systems
Business Law
I just saw this while preparing to make my first posting here...is this still a thing?! Can these credits be transfered to places like TESU or WGU?
Yes and yes.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • CassandraMT
I used it as a study reference for Macro Econ CLEP. I think by itself I would not have passed. It seemed to be too general. Not a bad resource but not complete. I felt ACDC guy on youtube was the best resource. Sample size of one course so I may not be a great resource on this.
For MacroEcon I used ACDC, Crash Course Econ (which also stars Mr. Clifford) and MS. Barely eeked out a pass, but I'll take it.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I want Modern States to be in every student’s wheelhouse bjcheung77 0 365 09-28-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Modern States: At 60... & ICYMI... bjcheung77 2 370 08-28-2023, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  50 States - Average cost of college 2023 bjcheung77 1 378 08-16-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  More than a third of community college students have vanished in the United States JPN 18 2,084 04-12-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Free College Is Now a Reality in Nearly 30 States LevelUP 13 1,545 04-14-2022, 09:16 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Modern States: Mention of TESU+WGU (DF member?) bjcheung77 2 936 10-28-2021, 05:28 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack
  States refuse to fund higher ed? List from top to bottom Life Long Learning 13 1,727 10-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Help - Modern States Question evsimoian 7 4,688 06-18-2020, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Giantzebra
  In-state tuition at NMJC through WUE (for residents of some Western states) wow 3 1,458 01-14-2020, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Modern State web page down? jdfan14 2 1,196 09-03-2019, 05:42 PM
Last Post: jdfan14