Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Has Anyone Tried Modern States?
They are actually really short. The quizzes are like the CLEP exam (multiple choice) and don't have many questions per section.
It looks like Business Law has a good bit of homework. It also comes with a free 404 page textbook!
For Psychology, which I'm doing, maybe 30 minutes a section (13 sections, I think?) and I play them at 2x.
I heard you just tell them. Honor code, I think?? I'll update this when I finish the course.
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
Update: It worked! I got my CLEP exam for free: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...-exam.html
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
It is for sure!! Smile

EDIT: this post got kind of mixed up, oops...
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits
My siblings and I have been using Modern States. They paid for my Business Law and my sister's Biology tests last week. They even reimbursed us for the Proctor fee from our testing center. This week they gave us vouchers to pay for another exam each! Now my brother is getting in on the awesome opportunity. Modern States is definitely legit. The courses are short, but they do provide other resources throughout each course as Zapp mentioned. We used IC cards to supplement our study, plus Peterson's practice exams. Not sure you could use the Modern States course as a stand-alone study source, but when paired with IC it works!
Completed: 
TESU BA Social Sciences, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited)
WGU MBA in Healthcare Management (ACBSP Accredited)
In Progress: Creighton University PharmD

[-] The following 1 user Likes Flying-Ace's post:
  • ISKBizz15
Flying-Ace Wrote:My siblings and I have been using Modern States. They paid for my Business Law and my sister's Biology tests last week. They even reimbursed us for the Proctor fee from our testing center. This week they gave us vouchers to pay for another exam each! Now my brother is getting in on the awesome opportunity. Modern States is definitely legit. The courses are short, but they do provide other resources throughout each course as Zapp mentioned. We used IC cards to supplement our study, plus Peterson's practice exams. Not sure you could use the Modern States course as a stand-alone study source, but when paired with IC it works!

Nice!! Are you guys homeschooled?
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits
zapproximator Wrote:Nice!! Are you guys homeschooled?
Yes, we homeschool. I graduated high school last year, followed shortly by my bachelor’s degree from TESU. I’m working on my BSBA now.
Completed: 
TESU BA Social Sciences, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited)
WGU MBA in Healthcare Management (ACBSP Accredited)
In Progress: Creighton University PharmD

Wow, that great. I'm homeschooled as well.
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits
So I went ahead and gave the Modern States Introductory Business Law course a try.

The course has seven modules, which map to the subject area breakdown on the CLEP. Each module has from 3 to 11 subsections -- the number of subsections being roughly proportional to the percentage of coverage on the exam.

Each subsection has a video, accompanied by a transcript. (You can also access the transcripts separately.) The videos ranged from 1.5 minutes to about 17 minutes. You can view the video at anywhere from 1x to 2x speed.

The videos are your basic talking head lectures, with a few caption slides in the background. (The caption slides are also available separately.) I thought the lecturer did a decent job of making the material clear and of not being completely boring and droney in his presentation.

Some subsections (though not all) also have one or two "homework" questions. These are multiple choice questions like the ones you would encounter on the CLEP. In fact, they appear to be derived from the questions in the Official CLEP Study Guide. There were 28 questions in the entire course, so you're effectively getting a free, 28-question practice test.

Each module also has "supplementary reading", which is a chapter from the free, online textbook that is part of the course (downloadable in PDF format). The textbook seemed fairly mediocre to me, but it is another way of accessing the content, for those who prefer reading. Also, there was an occasional topic that was covered in the textbook but not in the lectures.

The syllabus for the course says, "it will take you less than 25 hours to prepare for the exam." If you just go through the course, it will take you a lot less! I probably spent about 5.5 hours, with viewing the videos at accelerated speed and skimming the textbook. I did, however, already have a fair amount of familiarity with legal topics of one sort or another, so YMMV.

I'm not sure if the course covered every single thing you might encounter on the CLEP, but it certainly covers the vast majority of topics you will encounter; at least, that is what I conclude after having taken the sample test in the Official CLEP Study Guide that I borrowed from my local public library. (I scored 87% on the practice exam.)

So, yes, I think it is possible to pass the CLEP just using the Modern States course -- although if you're not at all familiar with the US legal system or legal concepts, you might want to supplement it from other sources -- and I would certainly recommended it if you're looking for a free prep resource.

I never got the email that some others received, but once I finished the course, I emailed whitney@modernstates.org (as mentioned upthread) and asked if the voucher was still available. She emailed me back a voucher code for the CLEP fee, and instructions on how to get the proctor fee reimbursed. When I went to register on the CLEP site, the voucher code worked like a charm -- the registration cost dropped to $0!

So, I don't know how long the offer lasts, or whether you can use it for more than one course/CLEP, but I'm getting my Introductory Business Law CLEP for free! Thank you Modern States, and thank you zapproximator for the tip!
[-] The following 1 user Likes bghill's post:
  • ISKBizz15
bghill Wrote:So I went ahead and gave the Modern States Introductory Business Law course a try.

The course has seven modules, which map to the subject area breakdown on the CLEP. Each module has from 3 to 11 subsections -- the number of subsections being roughly proportional to the percentage of coverage on the exam.

Each subsection has a video, accompanied by a transcript. (You can also access the transcripts separately.) The videos ranged from 1.5 minutes to about 17 minutes. You can view the video at anywhere from 1x to 2x speed.

The videos are your basic talking head lectures, with a few caption slides in the background. (The caption slides are also available separately.) I thought the lecturer did a decent job of making the material clear and of not being completely boring and droney in his presentation.

Some subsections (though not all) also have one or two "homework" questions. These are multiple choice questions like the ones you would encounter on the CLEP. In fact, they appear to be derived from the questions in the Official CLEP Study Guide. There were 28 questions in the entire course, so you're effectively getting a free, 28-question practice test.

Each module also has "supplementary reading", which is a chapter from the free, online textbook that is part of the course (downloadable in PDF format). The textbook seemed fairly mediocre to me, but it is another way of accessing the content, for those who prefer reading. Also, there was an occasional topic that was covered in the textbook but not in the lectures.

The syllabus for the course says, "it will take you less than 25 hours to prepare for the exam." If you just go through the course, it will take you a lot less! I probably spent about 5.5 hours, with viewing the videos at accelerated speed and skimming the textbook. I did, however, already have a fair amount of familiarity with legal topics of one sort or another, so YMMV.

I'm not sure if the course covered every single thing you might encounter on the CLEP, but it certainly covers the vast majority of topics you will encounter; at least, that is what I conclude after having taken the sample test in the Official CLEP Study Guide that I borrowed from my local public library. (I scored 87% on the practice exam.)

So, yes, I think you could pass the CLEP just using the Modern States course -- although if you're not at all familiar with the US legal system or legal concepts, you might want to supplement it from other sources -- and I would definitely recommended it if you're looking for a free prep resource.

I never got the email that some others received, but once I finished the course, I emailed whitney@modernstates.org (as mentioned upthread) and asked if the voucher was still available. She emailed me back a voucher code for the CLEP fee, and instructions on how to get the proctor fee reimbursed. When I went to register on the CLEP site, the voucher code worked like a charm -- the registration cost dropped to $0!

So, I don't know how long the offer lasts, or whether you can use it for more than one course/CLEP, but I'm getting my Introductory Business Law CLEP for free! Thank you Modern States, and thank you zapproximator for the tip!

That's awesome!!
Hope the exam goes well.
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits
I got this email from Modern States today:

"Have you registered for your CLEP exam, yet? As a reminder, the voucher that I provided you with expires 6/30/2017.
Let me know if you have any questions."

So it may be that the free voucher thing will end on June 30 (unless they're just going to change codes at that point).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I want Modern States to be in every student’s wheelhouse bjcheung77 0 387 09-28-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Modern States: At 60... & ICYMI... bjcheung77 2 404 08-28-2023, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  50 States - Average cost of college 2023 bjcheung77 1 405 08-16-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  More than a third of community college students have vanished in the United States JPN 18 2,159 04-12-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Free College Is Now a Reality in Nearly 30 States LevelUP 13 1,581 04-14-2022, 09:16 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Modern States: Mention of TESU+WGU (DF member?) bjcheung77 2 958 10-28-2021, 05:28 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack
  States refuse to fund higher ed? List from top to bottom Life Long Learning 13 1,752 10-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Help - Modern States Question evsimoian 7 4,768 06-18-2020, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Giantzebra
  In-state tuition at NMJC through WUE (for residents of some Western states) wow 3 1,493 01-14-2020, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Modern State web page down? jdfan14 2 1,219 09-03-2019, 05:42 PM
Last Post: jdfan14