Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone been overlooked for a degree
Hello -

I am preparing to embark on the credit by exam journey.  

I wondered if anyone has had problems with their degree since there are not trasnscripts that show a grade.

Also, How can I test for the advance classes needed for an Accounting Bachelors Degree?  at THomas Edison?

Thank you for your help!

C
Not having grades generally won’t be what hurts you. Hell, Yale Law doesn’t give grades. Plenty of schools don’t. If you get any pushback it’d more likely be because the credits themselves are from non traditional sources, not because they didn’t have grades.

But it really does depend on your end game and what you’re trying to do. A super competitive grad school? Look into their admissions requirements, you might need a specific amount of grades credits with a certain GPA or a certain GPA within your field, etc. Speaking of law school, you definitely need graded credits to satisfy LSAC’s requirements for any ranked school.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • High_Order1
This is why my mother is so concerned. She's afraid I'll put in all this work for a BSBA, just for employers to overlook it. I try to reassure her, but honestly, I have my worries too.
With some exceptions for more prestigious career paths, businesses generally don’t care or ask about your GPA. HR/recruiting just wants to check the box that says you have an accredited degree (sometimes in fact just in ANY major).

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

• katelynn
(08-27-2018, 07:22 PM)jsd Wrote: With some exceptions for more prestigious career paths, businesses generally don’t care or ask about your GPA. HR/recruiting just wants to check the box that says you have an accredited degree (sometimes in fact just in ANY major).

It's not so much the GPA I'm worried about, but rather the questions that come along with the degree. "Did you attend the TESU campus?" which then leads to "So you did the distance program?" which is where things could possibly go downhill.
I can attest to that as well. Everywhere I have worked, they just wanted to know what qualifications you had, not look at your transcript for a grade point average. Nobody cares if you physically attended a campus or not.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes zzzz24's post:
  • katelynn
So many people have degrees these days, its usually just to 'tick the box' most employers just want someone who can do the job...see all these false papers fiascos floating around? Many prominent CEOs and managers have been able to get to that position because they said thay had a degree! They proved they could do the job and degree or no degree theu proved they can. Many people here including me are in a position where they are doing a job and just need a degree for formality because degree or no degree we can do the job.

Study hard for your degree but dont use it as the best thing about you, show your potential employer ypu can do the job and go for it. Or better yet if you study business just start your own.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 4 users Like armstrongsubero's post:
  • hsfamfun, jsd, katelynn, shadowgem
(08-27-2018, 07:31 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: So many people have degrees these days, its usually just to 'tick the box' most employers just want someone who can do the job...see all  these false papers fiascos floating around? Many prominent CEOs and managers have been able to get to that position because they said thay had a degree! They proved they could do the job and degree or no degree theu proved they can. Many people here including me are in a position where they are doing a job and just need a degree for formality because degree or no degree we can do the job.

Study hard for your degree but dont use it as the best thing about you, show your potential employer ypu can do the job and go for it. Or better yet if you study business just start your own.

That was actually pretty inspiring. 

The real reason I'm pursuing a business degree is that I'm currently running a small business, and want to be taken more seriously in hopes of being able to grow it. I don't plan on actually needing the degree, so I guess it's more for my confidence in moving forward in the business world as a young woman. Maybe it'll open up more opportunities. The way I see it, it'll either further my career or work as a plan B if everything crashes and burns.
(08-27-2018, 07:28 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 07:22 PM)jsd Wrote: With some exceptions for more prestigious career paths, businesses generally don’t care or ask about your GPA. HR/recruiting just wants to check the box that says you have an accredited degree (sometimes in fact just in ANY major).

It's not so much the GPA I'm worried about, but rather the questions that come along with the degree. "Did you attend the TESU campus?" which then leads to "So you did the distance program?" which is where things could possibly go downhill.

“I completed my degree online” is an honest answer that is completely acceptable in 2018 for probably 90% of the job market.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

• katelynn
I'm not too worried about it. Granted, my main reason for wanting a degree is because I want to go work in a country that requires it for visa reasons. However, even if that wasn't the case a TESU degree wouldn't worry me. At the end of the day you having a degree is just one of the criteria that people are going to look at. Where your degree comes from will matter even less in the grand scheme of things.
TESU BA Liberal Studies /Communications 

[-] The following 1 user Likes BSLIONS's post:
  • katelynn

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,153 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,618 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,653 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,894 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM