Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone been overlooked for a degree
(08-27-2018, 07:28 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 07:22 PM)jsd Wrote: With some exceptions for more prestigious career paths, businesses generally don’t care or ask about your GPA. HR/recruiting just wants to check the box that says you have an accredited degree (sometimes in fact just in ANY major).

It's not so much the GPA I'm worried about, but rather the questions that come along with the degree. "Did you attend the TESU campus?" which then leads to "So you did the distance program?" which is where things could possibly go downhill.

I don't see how this is a concern. Many reputable colleges have wonderful online classes that are sometimes better than dealing the hassle and distraction of driving back and forth, changing study locations, and having some student hold up class by asking a million question because they aren't studying. Self-study and distance learning is for driven and mature people who keep a schedule and stick to it. If anything, I actually think it looks better (and, by the way, no one is looking).
I've only ever been asked once how one of my degrees was earned, and as the requisite chuckle face was forming on the interviewer I educated him on the fact that even Harvard, Eastern Virginia Medical School and Johns Hopkins has online degree programs and that chuckle face quickly dissolved.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • katelynn
(08-27-2018, 10:08 PM)eLearner Wrote: I've only ever been asked once how one of my degrees was earned, and as the requisite chuckle face was forming on the interviewer I educated him on the fact that even Harvard, Eastern Virginia Medical School and Johns Hopkins has online degree programs and that chuckle face quickly dissolved.

Did you get the job?
(08-27-2018, 07:05 PM)jsd Wrote: Speaking of law school, you definitely need graded credits to satisfy LSAC’s requirements for any ranked school.

Is there a link that you could give me that goes into more details about this? I tried a quick Google search without much luck.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(08-27-2018, 06:08 PM)Crt Wrote: Hello -

I am preparing to embark on the credit by exam journey.  

I wondered if anyone has had problems with their degree since there are not trasnscripts that show a grade.

Also, How can I test for the advance classes needed for an Accounting Bachelors Degree?  at THomas Edison?

Thank you for your help!

C

Whether or not you have grades on your transcript is based on what options you choose. If you want grades, take classes. I have a boatload of grades on my TESU transcript.
(08-27-2018, 11:41 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 10:08 PM)eLearner Wrote: I've only ever been asked once how one of my degrees was earned, and as the requisite chuckle face was forming on the interviewer I educated him on the fact that even Harvard, Eastern Virginia Medical School and Johns Hopkins has online degree programs and that chuckle face quickly dissolved.

Did you get the job?

I did. I wish I hadn't. It was one of the worst experiences of my entire life. Luckily that was many years ago now.
(08-28-2018, 12:01 AM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 07:05 PM)jsd Wrote: Speaking of law school, you definitely need graded credits to satisfy LSAC’s requirements for any ranked school.

Is there a link that you could give me that goes into more details about this? I tried a quick Google search without much luck.

All ABA law schools go through LSAC for their applications (transcript submissions, LSAT scores, etc). Here is LSAC’s GPA recalculation politicy:

https://www.lsac.org/aboutlsac/policies/...marization

If you have under 60 grades credits, they don’t calculate a GPA for the law schools you’re applying to.

To clarify what I said above, it’s not REQUIRED that you have a GPA to apply to law school, each one has their own admissions requirements. But the highly ranked law schools use GPA and LSAT scores as their two primary criteria. Without a GPA, you’d better have a perfect LSAT. And even then it’d be an uphil battle at the top schools.

And in the field of law, degree pedigree still actually matters.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(08-27-2018, 07:29 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: I can attest to that as well. Everywhere I have worked, they just wanted to know what qualifications you had, not look at your transcript for a grade point average. Nobody cares if you physically attended a campus or not.

True.  Most employers barely glance at your degree, or they MAY contact the school to verify that you actually earned it.  They won't ask for a transcript, which is where they would see your grades.

If you think you're going to want to go to a highly competitive grad school, or work on Wall Street at Goldman Sachs (do they even exist anymore?), then don't do TESU/Alternative Credit.  But for the 99.9% of everyone else, a degree, ANY degree from ANY RA school is fine.  And for a large % in there, they don't even know the difference between an RA or NA school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-28-2018, 08:25 AM)jsd Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 12:01 AM)mysonx3 Wrote:

All ABA law schools go through LSAC for their applications (transcript submissions, LSAT scores, etc). Here is LSAC’s GPA recalculation politicy:

https://www.lsac.org/aboutlsac/policies/...marization

If you have under 60 grades credits, they don’t calculate a GPA for the law schools you’re applying to.

To clarify what I said above, it’s not REQUIRED that you have a GPA to apply to law school, each one has their own admissions requirements. But the highly ranked law schools use GPA and LSAT scores as their two primary criteria. Without a GPA, you’d better have a perfect LSAT. And even then it’d be an uphil battle at the top schools.

And in the field of law, degree pedigree still actually matters.

Homeschoolers have used TESU (before their age issue) for law school admission. One of the parents who moderate my Ohio homeschool Facebook page is a good example- her son graduated from TESU at age 18 and finished law school last year (age 21). He received 3 full ride scholarships to 3 different law schools. She shares her story on my blog and is happy to help parents navigate the process, but the point is that most of the myths that create fear are just that- myths. Read about Susan's son- https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...s-stories/
I love that story Smile

But he had a GPA vis his community college and he scored high in LSATs according to that post. It’s not contradicting my points.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,154 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,619 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,894 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM