Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone ever completed a BA English Literature Degree at Charter Oak?
I want to get my bachelor's degree out of the way quickly, so I decided to choose a subject I know - English Lit!

These are the classes I've taken at a "brick and mortar" University:
Public Speaking D+
English Composition C
Information Literacy in Business Society A
Film Appreciation B+
Intro to Literature A
Film A
College Math B
Intro to Filmmaking B
The Short Script A

These are the Exams I've taken and Passed:
AP English Literature
AP Psychology
AP Latin
AP U.S. History
CLEP Biology
CLEP English Composition

These are the Exams I am taking:
DSST Principles of Public Speaking (Took it Today! Damn the impromptu speech was hard!)
DSST World Religions Sept.15
DSST Art History Oct. 4
GRE English Lit Oct.15

[U]These are classes I am taking at Charter Oak beginning Oct.24th

ENG 302 World Lit for Children
HIS 250 History of Eastern Religions
IDS 101 Cornerstone Seminar
PHL 485 Business Ethics and Values

If you are taking the time to read then THANK YOU. I need all the help I can get! I have so many questions about Charter Oak, like:

Are the Classes difficult? How are the classes structured?
Are there any other ways I can get this degree out of the way?! I'm trying to graduate before I turn 21!! Smile (I'm 19 now)
What is Charter Oak's policy concerning international students? I'm moving back to the Philippines in January and I was wondering if I could continue my Charter Oak education there...
Any tips, comments, criticisms or exam resources would be extremely helpful. Again if you took the time to read this thank you! :')
Feather90 Wrote:If you are taking the time to read then THANK YOU. I need all the help I can get! I have so many questions about Charter Oak, like:

Are the Classes difficult? How are the classes structured?
Are there any other ways I can get this degree out of the way?! I'm trying to graduate before I turn 21!! Smile (I'm 19 now)
What is Charter Oak's policy concerning international students? I'm moving back to the Philippines in January and I was wondering if I could continue my Charter Oak education there...
Any tips, comments, criticisms or exam resources would be extremely helpful. Again if you took the time to read this thank you! :')

Hi there! I will be curious to see if anyone responds regarding the English Lit major. If I had to guess, I would say that probably 85% of the people here are TESC students, maybe 12% EC and then just a few of us COSC folks and "other."

Regarding difficulty of COSC classes - I only took the Capstone class, which was Strategic Management 499. I didn't think it was difficult, there were a few technical difficulties with Blackboard, which made finding all of the assignments difficult, but I think they've gotten those fixed. Other than that, I would say that the class was relatively challenging, but not nearly as tough as my harder business tests such as Principles of Finance or Money & Banking. I spent much more time studying per night on those than I ever spent on homework in the Capstone.

I would suggest speaking to your advisor (or asking us on the forum) regarding all of your testing options. If you're trying to move quickly, I'm a little unsure as to why you would enroll in a business ethics class when there is a test available. My advice? Take the next week or two studying for the Biz Ethics test and then drop the class. Taking four classes at once will be much MUCH tougher than taking the test AND you'll get UL credit for the Biz Ethics DSST.

Also, do you need the Eastern Religions class for your major? If it's just an elective, I would drop it and replace it with a test that covers the same general ed requirement. You will have already met both your Global Understanding AND your non-US culture requirement with the Intro to World Religions test and a 250-level class won't give you UL credit. Check out COSC's master list of tests in case you haven't already seen it. http://www.charteroak.edu/Current/Academ...r-list.pdf

I can't imagine that they would care where you live.. after all, it's a totally online environment. Of course if you're trying to claim in-state tuition and you don't live in Connecticut, that would probably be a problem, but that's the only issue I can see.

Overall, really take a close look at EVERYTHING you can test out of if you're looking to shave off time and money. If you're not in-state, COSC's classes are about $800 bucks each. Unless you've got money to burn, the $100 bucks or so that a DSST or CLEP costs is a much better deal.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,201 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,858 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,674 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,867 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,777 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,688 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,088 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,004 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU English Career Path? renaissancewoman87 14 4,750 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Last Post: eriehiker