Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone finished Saylor classes quickly? If so what is your go-to study method?
Like many others, I plan to transfer in as many credits as possible before starting WGU. I have already taken two classes on Sophia and four classes on Study. I found that taking the quizzes right off the bat and studying them really helped me on my final exam. If there was a question from the quiz that I struggled to understand, I would watch the video on that topic. Since Saylor seems more article-based, what would be the best studying strategy? Could I just study the quizzes and go back to the material if there is a question I don't quite understand? Any advice is welcome!
(03-14-2022, 05:14 PM)theglassboxman Wrote: Like many others, I plan to transfer in as many credits as possible before starting WGU. I have already taken two classes on Sophia and four classes on Study. I found that taking the quizzes right off the bat and studying them really helped me on my final exam. If there was a question from the quiz that I struggled to understand, I would watch the video on that topic. Since Saylor seems more article-based, what would be the best studying strategy? Could I just study the quizzes and go back to the material if there is a question I don't quite understand? Any advice is welcome!

My friend I try that to practice all the quizzes and what I can tell you is that the final exam is not the same none of the quizzes I learned I see you need to study the material complete.
I try also to one exam a couple of years ago the networking one and the quizzes and the final exam was very similar but this time I try doing other exam and it was not the same.
also you need to hurry because almost 70% of their courses are going to expire by the and of this month end some others going to expire in may. I'm trying to at least get one for $5,- is a gift.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
[-] The following 1 user Likes gams007's post:
  • theglassboxman
If you are going to do Saylor courses, I suggest investing in a 2nd monitor because your 1st monitor will likely stop working after you chuck it out the window after failing an exam!

Seriously folks, stay away from Saylor, do CLEPs or anything but Saylor.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • , jsd, theglassboxman
(03-14-2022, 06:51 PM)LevelUP Wrote: If you are going to do Saylor courses, I suggest investing in a 2nd monitor because your 1st monitor will likely stop working after you chuck it out the window after failing an exam!

Seriously folks, stay away from Saylor, do CLEPs or anything but Saylor.

Dang, so you really think it is that bad? Man, that sucks because $5 for the whole class seemed like a crazy good deal.
You can give it a shot, $5 isn't that big of a loss if things go south, but I haven't seen anyone with anything positive to say about them.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I think the best things you can say about them is that they are cheap.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • , FastTrackDegree
Not all their courses are that bad, an example is their Marketing course, I took that exam back when they were $25 and scored pretty high and got the credits cheaply as I know that subject. Instead of clicking onto their links, I used other course material to make sure I know the basics and also used Saylors OER PDFs/text for quick reviews... I did the job inexpensively.

I don't think many people use Saylor because most of their courses do have issues and there are other cheaper options such as the CLEP/MS route, or going for Sophia.org all you can complete in a month. However, other students/people such as Supermind took at least 5 exams because the courses were usable towards their degree and the material worked for them.

Saylor's saving grace is the cheap affordability of exam credit and they have some UL such as Operations Management, Software Engineering, Project Management, these are pretty good courses if you can "review" and take the exam by preparing with other resources as well, example, taking Sophia's Project Management and quickly reviewing Saylor's course by skimming and doing the practice test before the credit exam.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-14-2022, 08:37 PM)theglassboxman Wrote: Dang, so you really think it is that bad? Man, that sucks because $5 for the whole class seemed like a crazy good deal.

I think this is one of those glaring examples of the old adage 'you get what you pay for.'

I would class onlinedegree.com in the same category: Price is right (free) but in this case, the catch is that it will take you absolutely forever to complete each class because you have to watch Every. Single. Video. To. Completion. and there are no transcripts you can read to shortcut it.

If you insist on free, ModernStates + CLEP is a much better option in my opinion (though not as broad in offerings).  You don't have to watch all the videos, you can breeze through the quizzes pretty quickly, and you can take your CLEP exam either at a testing center, or at home (though their proctor and software is on the janky side.)
OnlineDegree's history course is actually pretty interesting and fun, IMO. Not sure about the others. OnlineDegree is still faster than a typical B&M course, though having to watch all the videos is going to be frustrating when compared to Sophia/SDC.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Vle045
I wonder if those videos would have been helpful to me. I didn’t mind onlinedegree’s videos. I never tried the tests though. Sometimes I play course videos in the background while I am working…. In hopes that something will sink in.. LOL
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,275 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,468 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,577 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 299 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 966 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,810 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 549 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle