Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone here ever tried learning Esperanto to help in their language studies?
I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in 'off topic', but I came across a few things about Esperanto that I thought was interesting. It's apparently quick and simple to learn, and can have the (albeit anecdotal) effect of 'springboarding' your study of languages by increasing confidence and helping you learn 'how to learn' other languages.
It's a constructed language from the 1880s, initially intended for people to use when they come from two different nations who don't share a language.

Here's a TEDx Talk about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gSAkUOElsg

A Wikipedia page on the springboarding aspect:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaedeut..._Esperanto

A Freakanomics episode about it:
http://freakonomics.com/podcast/why-lear...l-feature/

A Duolingo course:
https://www.duolingo.com/course/eo/en/Le...nto-Online

Let me know what you guys think!
Yes, I have tried. It may work for some people, but I'm not sure it works for everyone all of the time. My main problem with learning languages is remembering the vocabulary and that's not really something that studying Esperanto helps with, IMO.
I've struggled with learning Spanish, and thought Esperanto sounded great. I would love to know Esperanto.

I took a few lessons and Esperanto seems easier, but I feel like my current level of knowledge of Spanish gets in the way because of the similarities. I feel like it would be great for someone who didn't already know part of a language.

I'd still like to know both someday, but I won't have time for a while.

This reminds me of the argument that learning Latin helps you to learn other languages. Notice that fewer and fewer schools offer Latin. Learning Latin isn't going to help you learn Asian or African languages. If you learn Latin before learning a western European language, the knowledge of Latin will help. But it is more efficient in terms of total time and effort to skip Latin and learn the other language directly.

Learn Esperanto to learn Esperanto, not to learn something else.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
[-] The following 2 users Like clep3705's post:
  • bluebooger, rachel83az
Knowing a second language, any other language, CAN help you to learn a third language. In that way, Esperanto can help you to learn Japanese. But you won't get quite the same boost out of learning Japanese as you would, say, French or Spanish.

If you already know the basics of another language, Esperanto probably isn't going to help you as much.
(03-20-2018, 01:15 PM)clep3705 Wrote: This reminds me of the argument that learning Latin helps you to learn other languages. Notice that fewer and fewer schools offer Latin. Learning Latin isn't going to help you learn Asian or African languages. If you learn Latin before learning a western European language, the knowledge of Latin will help. But it is more efficient in terms of total time and effort to skip Latin and learn the other language directly.

Learn Esperanto to learn Esperanto, not to learn something else.

Not that I entirely disagree, but Esperanto can be learned very quickly compared to other languages, which I assume is what the basis of the springboard argument is. In a study, students that spent a year studying Esperanto and three years studying French were more proficient in French than students who studied no Esperanto and studied four years of French.

Edit: Esperanto can be learned in as little as a few months, depending on time devoted. Latin on the other hand would at least take a year or two
[-] The following 2 users Like leland.kirk's post:
  • Ideas, rachel83az
(03-20-2018, 03:31 PM)leland.kirk Wrote: Not that I entirely disagree, but Esperanto can be learned very quickly compared to other languages, which I assume is what the basis of the springboard argument is. In a study, students that spent a year studying Esperanto and three years studying French were more proficient than students who studied no Esperanto and studied four years of French.

I'd be curious for my situation. I've studied Spanish on and off, but let's say it's 1 year of Spanish. I'm not sure if I would be better off studying Esperanto for a year and Spanish for 2 years, in terms of Spanish skills. (I think I'd be better off studying Spanish for 3 years.) But at least I'd know Esperanto.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • leland.kirk
(03-20-2018, 03:35 PM)Ideas Wrote: I'd be curious for my situation. I've studied Spanish on and off, but let's say it's 1 year of Spanish. I'm not sure if I would be better off studying Esperanto for a year and Spanish for 2 years, in terms of Spanish skills. (I think I'd be better off studying Spanish for 3 years.) But at least I'd know Esperanto.

I'd be even more curious for the argument of learning them alongside each other, but I'm sure this would feel a lot slower.

A debate for the usefulness of Esperanto in general could also be made, I'm sure. It's growing, but with only two million speakers, that's uh 0.028% of the world population?
(03-20-2018, 03:35 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 03:31 PM)leland.kirk Wrote: Not that I entirely disagree, but Esperanto can be learned very quickly compared to other languages, which I assume is what the basis of the springboard argument is. In a study, students that spent a year studying Esperanto and three years studying French were more proficient than students who studied no Esperanto and studied four years of French.

I'd be curious for my situation. I've studied Spanish on and off, but let's say it's 1 year of Spanish. I'm not sure if I would be better off studying Esperanto for a year and Spanish for 2 years, in terms of Spanish skills. (I think I'd be better off studying Spanish for 3 years.) But at least I'd know Esperanto.

If you kept with it, learning Esperanto can be a great advantage. But it's slightly harder to study and keep interested in, IMO, because it's not like there are many Esperanto resources. You can watch movies & TV shows in Spanish, you can read newspapers and books in Spanish, but you can't really find these things in Esperanto.
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Ideas, leland.kirk
(03-20-2018, 03:46 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 03:35 PM)Ideas Wrote:

If you kept with it, learning Esperanto can be a great advantage. But it's slightly harder to study and keep interested in, IMO, because it's not like there are many Esperanto resources. You can watch movies & TV shows in Spanish, you can read newspapers and books in Spanish, but you can't really find these things in Esperanto.

Let's not forget that depending on where you live, you might also hear, read, and have the opportunity to speak Spanish on a daily basis.  I live in the San Diego area, I hear Spanish every single day that I leave the house.  All of our school forms have English on the front and Spanish on the back.  I don't even know what Esperanto is.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 788 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 283 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,101 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 460 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  TEL Learning? faptaincrunch 9 1,348 11-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: suzume
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,214 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Anyone complete any of these studies? (Mexican/Spanish Propios) bjcheung77 7 1,065 09-20-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Peruvian university PUCP online language courses Avidreader 1 556 08-15-2023, 02:31 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Ukrainian-founded Duolingo rival Preply (language app) focusing on A.I bjcheung77 1 348 08-04-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Distance Learning Information and Conversation Discord Server ThatBankDude 5 825 06-28-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: xianbd