Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone here gotten a Master's from TESU, COSC, or Excelsior?
Just curious.
For a little while, I was considering Excelsior for their Master's in Liberal Arts degree, but there were just so many more cheaper options out there.

Was just wondering if anybody happened to get a MA or MS from one of the big three - and if so, how was your experience?
Even if you transfer in the max amount for credit transfer to a Big 3 grad degree, you're over paying. Like you said, lots of cheaper options.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(05-09-2019, 05:13 PM)kevinmane Wrote: Just curious.
For a little while, I was considering Excelsior for their Master's in Liberal Arts degree, but there were just so many more cheaper options out there.

Was just wondering if anybody happened to get a MA or MS from one of the big three - and if so, how was your experience?

I think the master's in liberal arts is gone. They took it off the website, and it's not in the graduate catalog.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Graduate tuitions per semester hour are…

Charter Oak 529 (outside CT) 509 (in CT)
Excelsior 645 (all programs)
TESU 668 (or higher for MBA, DBA, or DNP)

So a 33 sh Charter Oak master's is below 20k. Not in the deep bargain basement like Amberton or an aggressively fast max-out of some competency-based degrees, but right around popular consumer choices like CSU Global or Liberty, and below some like SNHU or Brandman. COSC's only master's degree, the MS in Organizational Effectiveness and Leadership (concentration in either Business or Nonprofit), only started courses in Fall 2016 though, so don't expect a large alumni population.
(05-09-2019, 08:05 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: Graduate tuitions per semester hour are…

Charter Oak 529 (outside CT) 509 (in CT)
Excelsior 645 (all programs)
TESU 668 (or higher for MBA, DBA, or DNP)

So a 33 sh Charter Oak master's is below 20k. Not in the deep bargain basement like Amberton or an aggressively fast max-out of some competency-based degrees, but right around popular consumer choices like CSU Global or Liberty, and below some like SNHU or Brandman. COSC's only master's degree, the MS in Organizational Effectiveness and Leadership (concentration in either Business or Nonprofit), only started courses in Fall 2016 though, so don't expect a large alumni population.

That's way overpriced for a MA degree from a no-name school.  There's just no point.

If you're going to spend $20k for a MA/MBA, there are plenty of places where you can do so and get other benefits like networking.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd
(05-10-2019, 12:52 AM)dfrecore Wrote: That's way overpriced for a MA degree from a no-name school.  There's just no point.

If you're going to spend $20k for a MA/MBA, there are plenty of places where you can do so and get other benefits like networking.

COSC's MS OEL is currently #26, in the middle of the pack, among GetEducated's Best Buy master's degrees in leadership. It would also place mid-pack if we inserted it among their Best Buy master's in management or the Best Buy master's in nonprofit management.

I see the case that a B&M with a decently ranked traditional undergraduate program, on-campus recruiting, and alumni association with a very extensive face-to-face event schedule has some things Charter Oak doesn't.

For some students, this could be a significant value add. For others, I don't think it would mean all that much. Regional B&M X comes out a few thousand cheaper than Charter Oak. If I'm not in their region, am I going to be flying to their B&M events? Are their alumni networks on LinkedIn or Facebook going to do much for me that Charter Oak's couldn't?

Conversely, some prospective students will value that Charter Oak is a distance-first institution since 1973. Their distance programs aren't a second tier, they aren't ironing out the kinks in their learning platform, and there isn't a for-profit online program management company between the student and school. They have a real alumni association too.

The COSC MS OEL also has no undergraduate prerequisites. That's often a barrier or added cost for master's in this subject space.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • Muldoon
I'm not opposed to the cost for graduate credit, and I'm not even opposed to using one of the big 3 for a graduate credit - but in that same price tier, there are just a million other options that give you a little more oomph.
Once upon a time, I'd considered their program that allows you to start your masters inside your bachelor's (for undergrad tuition price) but didn't because if I changed my mind, I wouldn't be able to use that credit elsewhere (I found time and time again grad credit restrictions on having already used that credit would exclude it).

In my opinion, if your undergrad is in something general, grad school should be more specific.
If your undergrad is from a noname school, grad school should be from a better name.
Since my undergrad was both general and noname, I picked a program that was both specific and highly regarded. (which cost more than I would have paid at the big 3 but it was a good match for me)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 5 123 5 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,730 535,827 5 hours ago
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,090 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Utah Eccles Master of Business Creation (MBC) Jonathan Whatley 0 187 03-29-2024, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 598 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Recognition of Execute Master Lorvey 10 584 03-19-2024, 02:31 AM
  Master of Public Administration BSBRose21 9 1,650 03-18-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,814 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 263 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 656 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger