Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone taken Discrete Math at Excelsior?
I barely made it through Trig on Aleks today and have 3 more credits above the level of College Algebra to meet the requirements of the BS in Technology at Excelsior. I am thinking about taking Discrete Math at Excelsior because the prerequisite is high school algebra. Frankly, I am week at math. I scored a 54 on Algebra and a 71% on Trig. I just need to meet the 12 credit requirement and I already have Stats.

Has anyone take Discrete Math at Excelsior? If so, how difficult would you say it is compared to College Algebra and Trig?

Math so far...

Beginning Algebra - Aleks
Intermediate Algebra - Aleks
College Mathematics - CLEP
College Algebra - CLEP
Trigonometry - Aleks
Statistics for Social Science - Aleks

As you can see, it has been a busy year in math and I am about tired of crunching numbers.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
Did you transfer your mathematics courses to EC? I got credits for ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra, Trigonometry,Introduction to Statistics & Pre-Calculus. I was told that CLEP College mathematics & ALEKS College Algebra will duplicate with the above courses.
I'm taking Discrete Math from TESC right now (not Excelsior). I also took Calc 1 and 2 thru Straighterline. In my opinion, the Calc was easier than Discrete Math. Discrete math seems more difficult with figuring out proofs, and complicated counting problems, etc. However, Calculus 1 was just derivatives and integration. It's more straightforward.

If Straighterline Calc is an option, perhaps it's worth considering (don't let the fact that it's Calc dissuade you. It's just algebra dressed up with new rules).

UptonSinclair Wrote:I barely made it through Trig on Aleks today and have 3 more credits above the level of College Algebra to meet the requirements of the BS in Technology at Excelsior. I am thinking about taking Discrete Math at Excelsior because the prerequisite is high school algebra. Frankly, I am week at math. I scored a 54 on Algebra and a 71% on Trig. I just need to meet the 12 credit requirement and I already have Stats.

Has anyone take Discrete Math at Excelsior? If so, how difficult would you say it is compared to College Algebra and Trig?

Math so far...

Beginning Algebra - Aleks
Intermediate Algebra - Aleks
College Mathematics - CLEP
College Algebra - CLEP
Trigonometry - Aleks
Statistics for Social Science - Aleks

As you can see, it has been a busy year in math and I am about tired of crunching numbers.
I was under the assumption that Trig one couldn't get credit for Algebra, Trig and precalc bs13, but I will definitely ask my advisor.

ncpenn Wrote:I'm taking Discrete Math from TESC right now (not Excelsior). I also took Calc 1 and 2 thru Straighterline. In my opinion, the Calc was easier than Discrete Math. Discrete math seems more difficult with figuring out proofs, and complicated counting problems, etc. However, Calculus 1 was just derivatives and integration. It's more straightforward.

If Straighterline Calc is an option, perhaps it's worth considering (don't let the fact that it's Calc dissuade you. It's just algebra dressed up with new rules).

Would you say that Calc I is possible for someone who struggled with Trig?

I was also thinking that calculus I would be easier than discrete math. I always thought calculus was lower than discrete math and linear algebra since it's usually the next course taken after algebra or precalculus.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
UptonSinclair Wrote:Would you say that Calc I is possible for someone who struggled with Trig?

Yes, if you take your time and watch lots of Khan Academy videos (they are excellent for Calculus). I'm not that good at Trig either, but with a good calculator, the internet for researching other ways that some concept is explained, and some patience, I think it's doable.

Sanatone (at least at TESC) is correct that Discrete Math is more advanced than Calculus.
Thanks for all of the input.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,696 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,830 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,171 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,925 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,293 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 964 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,264 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,776 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,220 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,394 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah