Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone taken the Sophia Project Management Course?
What was it like? More importantly, how long did it take? Could I tear through it in a week or two?
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
Well since no one replied, I checked it out. And there is a FREE code right now. Just finished the course and have the final to take on Saturday. Did 3 out of 4 parts of the course in a marathon night session and finished the last part the next day.

You are allowed to access the site content during the tests and I recommend doing it since the tests can only be taken once and count double toward the grade. A minimum of 70% is needed to pass the course.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
What was the free code? Or is it just the "try it for free" button on the website? Can you give me more info on that?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I did a quick search after reading the above post, and found coupon code CB2014 at https://onlinecourses.sophia.org/home . Basically, you can take one course for free, but you agree to be contacted by Capella University to try to recruit you. The conditions do state that it's for the first 500 people only, and that you must start the course by March 31st to qualify. I declined to give a valid phone number, because I don't want phone calls from Capella, but they can email me if that'll save me money.

I've just signed up and started the Project Management course, but there are a lot of course options to choose from.
Update: I just completed the first unit. There are only four units for the Project Management course (I don't know about the other courses). The units are divided into sections. There are Challenge Questions, which are three sets of multiple choice, fill in the blank, and matching types of questions. You get three attempts on each question. The answers are found in the Tutorial tab, by watching the short (about 5 minutes each) video lectures and reading the vocabulary definitions. I had to repeat several of the questions, mostly because I didn't watch all of the videos, but still got all answers correct within the allotted attempts. You have to score a 50% or higher to pass each section and proceed to the next (but you need a 70% overall in the course for credit). Then there's the Milestone section. This is basically a review exam of the content covered in the three sets of Challenge Questions. There is only one attempt for the Milestone, but using the tutorials and other course materials are permitted. A 50% or higher is also needed on the Milestone to progress to the next section. (I don't know what happens if you fail a section. This isn't made clear.) I passed with a 72% on the Milestone. Milestone questions weigh double what the challenge questions do. With a 72% on the 25 Milestone questions, and a 100% on each of the thirty total Challenge Questions, I am currently at an 83% in the course.

After the fourth unit, there is a final section. It's an identity-verification thing. It sounds like it'll be from ProctorU, but I haven't reached that point to confirm it. They check identity, then give you questions from the previous four Milestones to answer - but only questions that you answered correctly. You can use the entire course materials, but no other website, and one page of notes as long as they're not the questions from previous Milestones, and you must score a 50% or higher on this section.

I had been working on studying the Saylor Business Statistics, but was struggling with it. It's been twenty years since I took Intro to Statistics, so I was starting over from scratch. With this coupon code, the cost difference is eliminated, and I much, much prefer this Project Management course. I'll probably finish this entire course faster than it'll take me to finish a single unit of the Saylor course. (This and two TECEP's are all I have remaining.)

I hadn't originally planned to take this course due to its cost, but with the new coupon code, that changed. Thank you VERY MUCH to passit1 for sharing the information. For whatever it's worth, I'd recommend this course. I'm enjoying the course, and I expect to finish the course in a single weekend. The only negatives so far are that some of the video lectures are a little dry, but so are most video lectures, and at least these are short.
(02-28-2015, 09:20 PM)PaintTheSunset Wrote: Update:  I just completed the first unit.  There are only four units for the Project Management course (I don't know about the other courses).  The units are divided into sections.  There are Challenge Questions, which are three sets of multiple choice, fill in the blank, and matching types of questions.  You get three attempts on each question.  The answers are found in the Tutorial tab, by watching the short (about 5 minutes each) video lectures and reading the vocabulary definitions.  I had to repeat several of the questions, mostly because I didn't watch all of the videos, but still got all answers correct within the allotted attempts.  You have to score a 50% or higher to pass each section and proceed to the next (but you need a 70% overall in the course for credit).  Then there's the Milestone section.  This is basically a review exam of the content covered in the three sets of Challenge Questions.  There is only one attempt for the Milestone, but using the tutorials and other course materials are permitted.  A 50% or higher is also needed on the Milestone to progress to the next section.  (I don't know what happens if you fail a section.  This isn't made clear.)  I passed with a 72% on the Milestone.  Milestone questions weigh double what the challenge questions do.  With a 72% on the 25 Milestone questions, and a 100% on each of the thirty total Challenge Questions, I am currently at an 83% in the course.

After the fourth unit, there is a final section.  It's an identity-verification thing.  It sounds like it'll be from ProctorU, but I haven't reached that point to confirm it.  They check identity, then give you questions from the previous four Milestones to answer - but only questions that you answered correctly.  You can use the entire course materials, but no other website, and one page of notes as long as they're not the questions from previous Milestones, and you must score a 50% or higher on this section.  

I had been working on studying the Saylor Business Statistics, but was struggling with it.  It's been twenty years since I took Intro to Statistics, so I was starting over from scratch.  With this coupon code, the cost difference is eliminated, and I much, much prefer this Project Management course.  I'll probably finish this entire course faster than it'll take me to finish a single unit of the Saylor course.  (This and two TECEP's are all I have remaining.)  

I hadn't originally planned to take this course due to its cost, but with the new coupon code, that changed.  Thank you VERY MUCH to passit1 for sharing the information.  For whatever it's worth, I'd recommend this course.  I'm enjoying the course, and I expect to finish the course in a single weekend.  The only negatives so far are that some of the video lectures are a little dry, but so are most video lectures, and at least these are short.

(02-28-2015, 09:20 PM)PaintTheSunset Wrote: Update:  I just completed the first unit.  There are only four units for the Project Management course (I don't know about the other courses).  The units are divided into sections.  There are Challenge Questions, which are three sets of multiple choice, fill in the blank, and matching types of questions.  You get three attempts on each question.  The answers are found in the Tutorial tab, by watching the short (about 5 minutes each) video lectures and reading the vocabulary definitions.  I had to repeat several of the questions, mostly because I didn't watch all of the videos, but still got all answers correct within the allotted attempts.  You have to score a 50% or higher to pass each section and proceed to the next (but you need a 70% overall in the course for credit).  Then there's the Milestone section.  This is basically a review exam of the content covered in the three sets of Challenge Questions.  There is only one attempt for the Milestone, but using the tutorials and other course materials are permitted.  A 50% or higher is also needed on the Milestone to progress to the next section.  (I don't know what happens if you fail a section.  This isn't made clear.)  I passed with a 72% on the Milestone.  Milestone questions weigh double what the challenge questions do.  With a 72% on the 25 Milestone questions, and a 100% on each of the thirty total Challenge Questions, I am currently at an 83% in the course.

After the fourth unit, there is a final section.  It's an identity-verification thing.  It sounds like it'll be from ProctorU, but I haven't reached that point to confirm it.  They check identity, then give you questions from the previous four Milestones to answer - but only questions that you answered correctly.  You can use the entire course materials, but no other website, and one page of notes as long as they're not the questions from previous Milestones, and you must score a 50% or higher on this section.  

I had been working on studying the Saylor Business Statistics, but was struggling with it.  It's been twenty years since I took Intro to Statistics, so I was starting over from scratch.  With this coupon code, the cost difference is eliminated, and I much, much prefer this Project Management course.  I'll probably finish this entire course faster than it'll take me to finish a single unit of the Saylor course.  (This and two TECEP's are all I have remaining.)  

I hadn't originally planned to take this course due to its cost, but with the new coupon code, that changed.  Thank you VERY MUCH to passit1 for sharing the information.  For whatever it's worth, I'd recommend this course.  I'm enjoying the course, and I expect to finish the course in a single weekend.  The only negatives so far are that some of the video lectures are a little dry, but so are most video lectures, and at least these are short.
was the final easy

was the final easy?
You're responding to a four year old thread.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project Management Training: ENEB, Google or others? JPN 9 2,318 12-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  SOPHIA----Opinions on courses??? midnite123 19 1,638 11-01-2023, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,767 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  TECEP Operations Management colinsr 4 576 10-09-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What's the fasted online college for someone who has 18 Sophia credits? StubbedMyToeWhileSleeping 6 854 08-20-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE/Sophia Learning - Student of the year 2022 winners! bjcheung77 9 998 05-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Univ of People partners with Sophia.org for degree pathway! bjcheung77 3 740 05-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Applying for internships / jobs while doing Sophia courses Schlafen 2 818 03-31-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,025 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 457 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP