Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone taken the english composition 2 tecep test?
(04-15-2020, 02:47 PM)badsoccer Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 01:32 PM)vetvso Wrote: Last year I took the TECEP ENG II and the DSST Principles of Advanced English. Both were easy but the TECEP had required writing assignments. I only remember the DSST as multiple choice but there might have been a few writings I have forgotten about.

Thank you.  Do you remember if the essay part of the TECEP ENG COMP II required research during the test?  I know its at least 4 paragraph argumentative, but wondering if I will need to look up references and put citations in the essay.  And if so, 1) where do they allow the research from (online) or is it provided for you to mine through.  and 2) if needed, do you recommend any sites for researching during the TECEP?

I appreciate the help.  It's my first one and I am a bit anxiety ridden.  Thank You.
What I remember the test provided all of the needed information and I just needed to write my paragraphs using the research and cite everything.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • badsoccer
(04-15-2020, 10:49 AM)badsoccer Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 10:24 AM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Hey! There are some older threads that share how they dealt with the essay portion! I just looked them up last week but don’t have them readily available to link here since I’m on mobile! Let me know if you have any trouble searching for them!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

Thank You!  I tried searching and am not being very successful.  Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...sh-Comp-II

HTH!
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(04-15-2020, 04:46 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 10:49 AM)badsoccer Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 10:24 AM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Hey! There are some older threads that share how they dealt with the essay portion! I just looked them up last week but don’t have them readily available to link here since I’m on mobile! Let me know if you have any trouble searching for them!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

Thank You!  I tried searching and am not being very successful.  Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...sh-Comp-II

HTH!
HUGE HELP!   Absolutely Awesome!  Thank You!
(04-15-2020, 01:32 PM)vetvso Wrote: Last year I took the TECEP ENG II and the DSST Principles of Advanced English. Both were easy but the TECEP had required writing assignments. I only remember the DSST as multiple choice but there might have been a few writings I have forgotten about.

Do you remember what you used for studying for both exams??? I need to take one or both the next few weeks and was looking at Study.com but was iffy about the material...
Tongue 
I opted to take the updated DSST "Principles of Advanced English Composition" (in 2023) instead of the TECEP for ENC-102 because I didn't want to have to write an essay! haha  Blush I did some very minor review of what the exam content would be, then took it cold and got a 453. If DSST/multiple choice is something you'd prefer over having to write an essay, I would opt for the DSST over the TECEP. I found it super easy.

Related, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this, by chance... (please bear with my narrative below, as it's a bit of a ride)
I've been waiting nearly a month for my score from this exam to post to TESU via the DSST test score report, with no update so far, and my TESU Advisor noted they have no record of it yet, so I reached out to DSST/Prometric this week to figure out what's up. DSST/Prometric told me by email that since I had taken this exam already in May of 2019 (which I had completely forgotten!), they (DSST) would not release the score unless I paid them $100 fee for the exam. I'm a military veteran/active DOD civilian so I was exempt from the fee because of it, which is why I didn't do that up-front.  

Here's the question/point of my comment here... Does anyone know if the older version of the DSST exam from 2019 had a course equivalency at TESU or not?
I believe the reason I never got credit from TESU for the prior DSST from 2019 is because they revamped the Princ of Advanced English DSST exam somewhere around 2020/early pandemic. Either that, or I need to have a transcript sent directly from DSST/Prometric to TESU to get the 2019 credit documented properly. It's on my Joint Service Transcript (JST, a military transcript) but I'm thinking maybe they need the score report itself(?).  
Follow-up question... since the exam I took in 2023 differed from (was a revamp, as I understand it) from the one I took in 2019, would Dantes recognize that and agree to fund it since it was different, thus triggering a release of that score report from DSST/Prometric?

Thanks in advance if you are able to help me get this figured out (at least personal expense, hopefully!).
[INDENT]"If we are growing we are always going to be outside our comfort zone." ~ John C. Maxwell[/INDENT]

BA Liberal Arts, Excelsior College - Almost done
CREDITS COMPLETE: 105.00 (Most were prior college or military credits they applied to my degree. I have more excess electives than I know what to do with)

CLEP | English Comp w/o Essay 73 | College Math 48 |
DSST | Tech Writing 439 | Principles of Supervision 438 | Business Ethics 419 | Heres To Your Health 430 | Intro World Religions 389 | Intro Computing 417 | Business Math 302 (ouch) |

Military Aptitude Battery (Ask away!) | ASVAB: 95 | DLAB: 110 | :patriot:
DLPT | French L2+/R2+ | PF L3/R2+ | PD L1+/R2 |
(03-02-2023, 01:39 AM)WhoaSis Wrote: I opted to take the updated DSST "Principles of Advanced English Composition" (in 2023) instead of the TECEP for ENC-102 because I didn't want to have to write an essay! haha  Blush I did some very minor review of what the exam content would be, then took it cold and got a 453. If DSST/multiple choice is something you'd prefer over having to write an essay, I would opt for the DSST over the TECEP. I found it super easy.

Related, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this, by chance... (please bear with my narrative below, as it's a bit of a ride)
I've been waiting nearly a month for my score from this exam to post to TESU via the DSST test score report, with no update so far, and my TESU Advisor noted they have no record of it yet, so I reached out to DSST/Prometric this week to figure out what's up. DSST/Prometric told me by email that since I had taken this exam already in May of 2019 (which I had completely forgotten!), they (DSST) would not release the score unless I paid them $100 fee for the exam. I'm a military veteran/active DOD civilian so I was exempt from the fee because of it, which is why I didn't do that up-front.  

Here's the question/point of my comment here... Does anyone know if the older version of the DSST exam from 2019 had a course equivalency at TESU or not?
I believe the reason I never got credit from TESU for the prior DSST from 2019 is because they revamped the Princ of Advanced English DSST exam somewhere around 2020/early pandemic. Either that, or I need to have a transcript sent directly from DSST/Prometric to TESU to get the 2019 credit documented properly. It's on my Joint Service Transcript (JST, a military transcript) but I'm thinking maybe they need the score report itself(?).  
Follow-up question... since the exam I took in 2023 differed from (was a revamp, as I understand it) from the one I took in 2019, would Dantes recognize that and agree to fund it since it was different, thus triggering a release of that score report from DSST/Prometric?

Thanks in advance if you are able to help me get this figured out (at least personal expense, hopefully!).

This page from early 2020 (April) shows that the Principles of Advanced English Comp DSST was worth ENC-102 credit. https://web.archive.org/web/202004211636...talog/dsst I can't pull up anything earlier than that, unfortunately. However, it was set to expire in 2021. I believe these validity dates are good for 3 or 4 years? Even if it's only 3 years, January 2021 - 3 years = January 2018. Your exam was good.

You need to send the transcript directly from DSST/Prometric.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
TESU has evaluated DSST Principles of Advanced English Composition as equivalent to ENC-102 English Composition II for a long time. Before their current review, which expires in 2025, they gave the same equivalency to an earlier version of the exam with an expiration date of 1/31/21. I think you would fall under that.
You likely need the score report sent directly to TESU from Prometric in order to get credit. The cardinal rule for transfer credits is that all credits must be sent from their original source. TESU, like nearly all institutions, will ignore anything not earned at the place that sent the transcript.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(03-02-2023, 04:28 AM)jch Wrote: TESU has evaluated DSST Principles of Advanced English Composition as equivalent to ENC-102 English Composition II for a long time. Before their current review, which expires in 2025, they gave the same equivalency to an earlier version of the exam with an expiration date of 1/31/21. I think you would fall under that.  
You likely need the score report sent directly to TESU from Prometric in order to get credit. The cardinal rule for transfer credits is that all credits must be sent from their original source. TESU, like nearly all institutions, will ignore anything not earned at the place that sent the transcript.

Got it, thank you!!!  Smile
[INDENT]"If we are growing we are always going to be outside our comfort zone." ~ John C. Maxwell[/INDENT]

BA Liberal Arts, Excelsior College - Almost done
CREDITS COMPLETE: 105.00 (Most were prior college or military credits they applied to my degree. I have more excess electives than I know what to do with)

CLEP | English Comp w/o Essay 73 | College Math 48 |
DSST | Tech Writing 439 | Principles of Supervision 438 | Business Ethics 419 | Heres To Your Health 430 | Intro World Religions 389 | Intro Computing 417 | Business Math 302 (ouch) |

Military Aptitude Battery (Ask away!) | ASVAB: 95 | DLAB: 110 | :patriot:
DLPT | French L2+/R2+ | PF L3/R2+ | PD L1+/R2 |
Has anyone successfully taken the English Comp II TECEP and used the Purdue Owl online handbook for the exam? I'm having trouble laying my hands on a paper copy of any writing handbook and I'm not exactly confident in my ability to do proper MLA or APA without a reference.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Managed to get my hands on a copy of "The Bedford Guide for College Writers" and I'm hoping that's allowed. Reviewing the rules in ProctorU and it says:

Quote:dictionary and writing handbook permitted (including ebooks and PDF books); one sheet of scratch paper at a time, can request additional sheets

Need to see if I can find some sort of PDF/ebook as backup. Might as well look for a dictionary, too, I suppose.

(02-06-2016, 03:05 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Also, I would copy the "thesis" you come up with in one section, because once you leave that section, you can't go back and see what you wrote, and they ask you to expand on what you previously wrote in the next section. If I would have known, I would have copied so I could paste a minute later.

The rules also say:

Quote:You will not be allowed to copy text and images during the exam.

So I don't think the advice from dfrecore will work (now). Sigh. Why do they have to have such a terrible test setup? Better have that paper/pencil ready, I suppose.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technical Writing TECEP - My Experience PreLawCoastie 2 620 03-14-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  What's the best free practice test for US History II Cookseykids 6 469 03-05-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Public Speaking TECEP PreLawCoastie 0 166 02-27-2024, 07:23 AM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  TECEP FIN-3210 Security Analysis & Portfolio Management fmsoa 2 439 01-18-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity PreLawCoastie 10 924 01-11-2024, 06:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 269 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Managerial Comm TECEP saraholson 7 1,590 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  TECEP Federal Income Taxation Kones 9 869 12-13-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Help - how to register for TECEP exam? Carnation 4 339 11-23-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  Learning in the Digital Age TECEP Avidreader 0 220 11-22-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Avidreader