Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone used this?
Have you used this https://www.cybrary.it/catalog/
Would 
Would love
Began Aug 2014
I've taken a couple courses from there. It's fairly decent.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • alab21
I was not impressed with the quality or presentation of any of the Cybrary courses I tried, but I've only looked at a handful. I hate the interface too.

Are you using it to study anything in particular?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(03-02-2019, 06:06 PM)My son wants to change his degree and not finish TESU for computer science. I’m frustrated because it’s going to cost much more. jsd Wrote: I was not impressed with the quality or presentation of any of the Cybrary courses I tried, but I've only looked at a handful. I hate the interface too.

Began Aug 2014
Cybrary is focused on studying for certifications. Is he looking at specific certifications?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(03-03-2019, 08:40 PM)geissingert Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 06:06 PM)My son wants to change his degree and not finish TESU for computer science. I’m frustrated because it’s going to cost much more. jsd Wrote: I was not impressed with the quality or presentation of any of the Cybrary courses I tried, but I've only looked at a handful. I hate the interface too.

As a parent, if you're paying, you do have the option of saying "no."  My kids know this going into college.  Now, I am not saying that they have to go to one of the Big 3, but I am certainly saying that I won't be paying for 4 years at a state school.  Their choice is CC, CLEP/AP, and scholarships if they want that.  AND, they know that out-of-state is DEFINITELY not an option.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If the son wants to change his plan then a valuable exercise would be having him explain the reasons why changing from the previously agreed upon plan would be more beneficial to justify the increased costs. Then he would research and come up with a good way to offset the increased cost via working a part time or summer job, applying for more financial aid and scholarships, etc. If he can't explain why it would be better and come up with a solution to finance it, then you as the parent don't have to finance it. I'm not saying there isn't room for compromise, though.

How far into it is he?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • dfrecore
(03-04-2019, 02:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote: As a parent, if you're paying, you do have the option of saying "no."  My kids know this going into college.  Now, I am not saying that they have to go to one of the Big 3, but I am certainly saying that I won't be paying for 4 years at a state school.  Their choice is CC, CLEP/AP, and scholarships if they want that.  AND, they know that out-of-state is DEFINITELY not an option.

When I was in HS, my parents could not afford to provide any assistance towards college costs, so going into it I knew that if I wanted to get a degree that I'd be responsible for it myself. Of course, I failed to complete a college degree after high school, but that was more because I ended up working full time, eventually moving into starting up my own business, so I didn't really have the time or ability to do that and pursue an education.

By the time my daughter is ready for college, I believe that the educational landscape will be vastly different. Hopefully, online education will become the predominant way that people earn degrees, so this discussion may no longer be relevant then. However, if not, I plan to take a similar approach as you, with the caveat that if my kid wants to attend an expensive or out of state college they will need to come up with a way to pay for the majority of it themselves via scholarships, grants, saving money from summer jobs, or what not. I do contribute towards a college fund set up for her which will hopefully cover reasonable traditional college costs if she elects that path, but I'm sure it won't pay for an expensive out of state school, or an ivy league (or ivy plus) school, and I don't plan to supplement that college fund.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(03-04-2019, 07:01 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 02:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote: As a parent, if you're paying, you do have the option of saying "no."  My kids know this going into college.  Now, I am not saying that they have to go to one of the Big 3, but I am certainly saying that I won't be paying for 4 years at a state school.  Their choice is CC, CLEP/AP, and scholarships if they want that.  AND, they know that out-of-state is DEFINITELY not an option.

When I was in HS, my parents could not afford to provide any assistance towards college costs, so going into it I knew that if I wanted to get a degree that I'd be responsible for it myself. Of course, I failed to complete a college degree after high school, but that was more because I ended up working full time, eventually moving into starting up my own business, so I didn't really have the time or ability to do that and pursue an education.

By the time my daughter is ready for college, I believe that the educational landscape will be vastly different. Hopefully, online education will become the predominant way that people earn degrees, so this discussion may no longer be relevant then. However, if not, I plan to take a similar approach as you, with the caveat that if my kid wants to attend an expensive or out of state college they will need to come up with a way to pay for the majority of it themselves via scholarships, grants, saving money from summer jobs, or what not. I do contribute towards a college fund set up for her which will hopefully cover reasonable traditional college costs if she elects that path, but I'm sure it won't pay for an expensive out of state school, or an ivy league (or ivy plus) school, and I don't plan to supplement that college fund.

Honestly, what I can afford to pay for, and what I will choose to pay for are not the same.  Just because I can afford to waste money on an out-of-state school doesn't mean that I will (I won't).

Setting their expectations early, and discussing it as the years go is a good plan.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-04-2019, 10:16 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 07:01 PM)Merlin Wrote:

Honestly, what I can afford to pay for, and what I will choose to pay for are not the same.  Just because I can afford to waste money on an out-of-state school doesn't mean that I will (I won't).

Setting their expectations early, and discussing it as the years go is a good plan.

That is my perspective as well. We're trying to teach her the value of money and why it is important to save for the future. So by the time college comes around, she should have clear expectations.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador