Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have a lot of credits, want a BA, need advice please!
(04-04-2021, 08:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So it just depends on what you think is "low cost" since that's completely relative.  If you truly want the lowest cost for the Big 3, then COSC would be the best.  Fastest would be TESU.  If you have financial aid, then really I'd look at out-of-pocket for each option.

For TESU's full-time tuition, trying to complete the degree in a single term, it will be a lot of work - you'd need 16cr there, and the cornerstone and capstone, plus the e-Pack courses.  And you'd still need to do an Ethics course, they don't have one as an e-Pack.  Nor are any of the 1cr courses e-Pack-able.  So, in looking at taking 16cr at TESU for a single term (12 weeks), you're looking at a total cost of $5,066.  Still quite a bit more than COSC, but a bit less than EC.

(04-04-2021, 05:00 PM)natshar Wrote: I'd recommend taking:
-American gov pos 110 3 cr (as an e-pack which makes it more self-paced)
-a six-credit course like social psych (maybe as an epack)
-pla 100 1 cr (its only 4 weeks long)
Social Psych as an e-Pack course is only 3cr (it's called Social Psych I there).
For sure I'd take CIS-107: Computer Concepts & Applications as an e-Pack.  I might even take something OP has taken previously like Intro to Soc or Intro to Psych, and replace those courses with something easy from Saylor or something.[url=https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=CIS-107&sem=][/url]
OP might also consider an ACTFL exam if they're fluent in Spanish.  If you score high enough on the speaking portion, it's worth UL credit (not really needed) and doesn't overlap with the previously taken Spanish courses.

Those are good points. CIS-107 does sound easy I think I've seen posts here about how easy it is. And remember that cost is assuming they get no financial aid.
Thank you all so much! There is so much information here that I have been trying to absorb it all!

I think I will look into your TESU and COSC suggestions. I think the tuition costs you gave are doable for me, and I would want an option where I could take things relatively slow. I have taken some self-paced continuing educations courses online, so that route will work for me. The Capstone course scares me but surely I could do it if I just worked through it.
Wow, I can't believe I might have a way to get a bachelors degree. I never thought I would do it!
I hate to ask this question, but do TESU or COSC accept D grades? If so, I may have a few more credits (embarrassing)! I just didn't care back then.
I think both of them accept D grades but they put them in electives or something like that. You would not be able to use a D grade in English Comp to prove that you know English Comp.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
TESU Wrote:Policy on D Grades
Students may transfer in or apply Thomas Edison State University course grades of D to their non area of study requirements as long as their overall grade point average is at least a 2.0, or higher as determined by the School in which they are enrolled, with the following exceptions:
  • All area of study courses must be graded C or better in order to apply to area of study requirements

• All required composition courses must be graded C or better

• No course in which a student earned a D- grade will be accepted in transfer

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/p...on-grading
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
And for COSC, it's here, pretty much the same thing as TESU: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...policy.php

Charter Oak accepts in transfer grades of D- and above. Grades of C (2.0) or above are required in concentration and major courses, and English Composition. Neither the Cornerstone nor the Capstone course may be taken at another institution; these courses must be taken at Charter Oak State College.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-04-2021, 10:49 PM)Kreid01 Wrote: Thank you all so much!  There is so much information here that I have been trying to absorb it all!

I think I will look into your TESU and COSC suggestions. I think the tuition costs you gave are doable for me, and I would want an option where I could take things relatively slow. I have taken some self-paced continuing educations courses online, so that route will work for me.  The Capstone course scares me but surely I could do it if I just worked through it.
Wow, I can't believe I might have a way to get a bachelors degree.  I never thought I would do it!
I hate to ask this question, but do TESU or COSC accept D grades? If so, I may have a few more credits (embarrassing)!  I just didn't care back then.

Post the bad grades too!  It's ok, we've all had bad times...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-06-2021, 11:06 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Post the bad grades too!  It's ok, we've all had bad times...

Yeah, this is hardly the place where all the valedictorians hang out...
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(04-06-2021, 11:06 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 10:49 PM)Kreid01 Wrote: Thank you all so much!  There is so much information here that I have been trying to absorb it all!

I think I will look into your TESU and COSC suggestions. I think the tuition costs you gave are doable for me, and I would want an option where I could take things relatively slow. I have taken some self-paced continuing educations courses online, so that route will work for me.  The Capstone course scares me but surely I could do it if I just worked through it.
Wow, I can't believe I might have a way to get a bachelors degree.  I never thought I would do it!
I hate to ask this question, but do TESU or COSC accept D grades? If so, I may have a few more credits (embarrassing)!  I just didn't care back then.

Here are the Ds:
Biol 114 Environmental Life Science Lab-2
Sosci 237 Geography of Kansas-3
Eng 300 Spanish Poetry-3

Thanks!
(04-06-2021, 04:01 PM)Kreid01 Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 11:06 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Here are the Ds:
Biol 114 Environmental Life Science Lab-2
Sosci 237 Geography of Kansas-3
Eng 300 Spanish Poetry-3

Thanks!

Are they straight D's? Not D-?

So for COSC, there's no change (they don't fulfill any requirements, and you have enough credits).
For EC, they don't take D's, so no change.
For TESU, they fulfill the remaining credits you need in the Free Electives area, so you are down to just needing 12cr - Ethics, Am Govt, Cornerstone & capstone.

That would probably push me to TESU...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Wow.  4 classes?  I would be crazy to not do it.  I'm scared of the capstone, but this is the way to go!

Thanks to you guys, it would have been hard for me to figure this out by myself.  I'm gonna get the process started!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 3 53 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Confused Brit looking for advice BritStudent 30 1,938 10 hours ago
Last Post: allvia
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 377 Yesterday, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 23 1,034 04-13-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 160 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 520 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 4 294 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,284 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  Degree planning advice, fastest way, need help Bikingrox211 19 1,277 04-06-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  Advice Needed. PML0924 2 145 04-01-2024, 09:22 PM