Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have a military education exit strategy.
I have been getting several private messages recently and wanted to share my ideas and opinions from an ex-military standpoint. I think others here can also add additional information that can help those leaving the military or are veterans.

Your still active duty and that does help. I don't know your MOS but let's assume you have some experience up to 4 years or more. Your JST transcript will be key and your benefits for the New GI Bill and Chap 31 Voc Rehab apply. 

I prefer military taking the following approach and in retrospect, this is what I did but not entirely. 

1. Save up your vacation to the max for your ETS.

2. Continue testing out on all CLEP/DSST credits while free.

3. Look for ETS program that allows you to stay on active duty but begin school 1 semester or more before your final paperwork.

4. I find TESU to be very good for ex-military. Start setting up your program ASAP and get all of your evaluated.

5. Ensure you capture all injuries before you finish ASAP and hit the doctor before it's too late. Everything must be recorded no matter what. This will impact your schooling later.

6. My preference is the Liberal Arts Degree since we can test out most of this quickly. 

7. If you go with TESU try to get the military to pay for one class now. With 16 credits you should not have to pay the $2500 fee.

8. Use the TESU military office and they will help you waive the fees.

9. You must submit on exit for a disability rating and see if you can qualify for VA Chap 31.

10. Start planning your Master's specialty now, and consider schools, and programs. I'm leaning to Rutgers myself because they have a good online masters program and would have to consider TESU since they are both state New Jersey schools.

11. You also might want to consider an additional BA or BS if you still have undergrad funding from VA ED benefits.

12. Use your vacation time to test out on everything you can. Take every test possible before you exit. Free is good and you can still submit for reimbursement to VA later but it's a hassle.

13. Apply for your FAFSA Student Aid and try to get your Pell Grant each and every year. As your income goes down you should qualify for more.

14. Apply for all of your school's scholarships and grants even if you get chap 31. This will help establish you in the system for graduate school later.

15. Start Planning for Grad school now, and learn what the requirements will be.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 3 users Like vetvso's post:
  • Frogsear, MNomadic, TheMaskedMutant
This is all very solid advice.

Getting injuries documented while in is very important. Go to a doctor's office and tell them about everything you can think of, even if it isn't bothering you at that moment in time. They may look at you silly but injuries tend to only get worse as you age, not better so get them documented in the military and by the VA
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Frogsear
Also, at TESU, when you're active-duty military, TECEP's count for residency. So you could do the cornerstone ($300), 7 easy LL TECEP's ($525 total) , and the capstone ($750), and not pay the Residency waiver or application fee. Your total fees to TESU would be $1,907 (including the graduation fee). Non-military will pay $4305, and won't have those LL TECEP's in that amount.

Combine that with the ability to take free CLEP and DSST's (which has 5 UL exams), and 1 UL course from one of our providers, and your degree would cost a TOTAL of ~ $2000.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Frogsear, MNomadic
(11-26-2018, 10:15 AM)MNomadic Wrote: This is all very solid advice.

Getting injuries documented while in is very important. Go to a doctor's office and tell them about everything you can think of, even if it isn't bothering you at that moment in time. They may look at you silly but injuries tend to only get worse as you age, not better so get them documented in the military and by the VA

This is very important and will be connected to possible education benefits later. My old injuries were not that bad when I first left but over time knees, back and ankles are much worse now. The hardest to get is hearing loss and if you already have some signs please get this documented ASAP. No matter what your first rating is you should consider an appeal because the system is overloaded, and they really don't want to fulfill your contractual obligations with them. It's a paper game for them and you have to play and play this hard. If something bizarre happens to go to your senator's office and ask for help from your VA representative for your congressional office. Trust me it will help and they oversee the VA's budget. 

Once you have a rating apply to the VA chap 31 vocational rehabilitation program. All of you younger vets can pull chap 31 and your New GIbill housing assistance so there is a way to use duel benefits.

If you're out already you can still take CLEP and DSST and get reimbursement from the VA using your current benefits. I'm a huge TESU fan and think the veteran office in New Jersey has done all I have ever asked.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • Frogsear
100% agree with Continue testing out on all CLEP/DSST credits while free.  Do them "all" even if you do not think you need them.

I would enroll in Fayetteville Technical Community College (FTCC) as they take your military JST and put them in real college credit classes with a grade of NC (noncourse) and they are below-the-line credits at FTCC.  The Leadership and Management Certificate is only 12 SH and NCOs get these JST credits.  Most EM MOS will also.  Just take an online class at FTCC to earn it.  About 20 colleges will accept the FTCC block AS degree towards their BS degrees.

Excelsior College is always ranked higher for military and Veterans of the Big 3.  40% of Excelsior College students are these two groups.  They do not hang out here.

Use a mere 5-days of your 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill later to attend an Ivy League college like the Harvard Kennedy School to become an official Alumni.  Add some spice to a no brand name education section on your resume/CV.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Frogsear
I'll add that once you get out and no longer have a CAC you cant sign into JST. Learn you regular login so you'll be able to have it. Your VMET should have everything on it but mistakes happen. Make sure your JST is up to date with any and all applicable schools, certs, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • Frogsear
Thank you to all who posted here. I am active duty and am undecided if I will re up. I have finally taken education seriously over the last couple months and will be using all of this as a guide.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Frogsear's post:
  • TheMaskedMutant
I've never served in the military, but my advice to everyone is to choose your degrees wisely at TESU because you're limited to two at each level. Besides, who wants to waste time, money, or military aid? Let's say you get a BALS. Then, you go back for something a little more marketable such as a BSBA. Afterward, you've finally decided on which career you want and want to earn a BA in Computer Science. Well, you can't at TESU. You'd need to find another school that will award a third degree in computer science, and you can't usually jump into a master's program in computer science without having a related undergraduate degree.

In short, don't waste anything on a degree you don't want and can't really use.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Frogsear, Life Long Learning, MrBossmanJr
I want to add while in get the military to pay for your certifications. Use the heck out of Navycool, DODcool, etc.  There are plenty of Certifications that you can get that correspond with your rate( mos for non-Navy).  If you are Navy get your USMAP journey cert. it looks good on a resume and you can use it to PLA credits at some schools. If you have dependents transfer your GI Bill (ask you NC or CC about it.) While you are in utilize TA and NCPACE and go to as many service schools as possible.  If you have an idea where you want to go about 2 years before you get out utilize the Skillbridge program so you can become an intern.  There are so many resources out there.
[-] The following 2 users Like ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • Madxhatter, MrBossmanJr
I know this is old but it should be updated as more information is available. You can look at your own VMET check it every so often, but keep in mind it will be 1-6 months behind what you have done. It is like that due to when updates are pushed. I can not stress this enough, but every 6 monthe go through your records. Make sure everything is correct it's easier to update things while you are still in. Go through and make sure all your NECs (navy) I think it's secondary mos for other branches are all in your record. Use Elearning while you can, it may seem like you won't need it, but do your SEJPMEs on jko I know they aren't still ACE accredited but some schools (if it's on your JST Excelsior still considers it. If you send your certificate to APUS with your credit evaluation they take it.) still take them for credit. On elearning do your PMEs I've had my guys use that as proof for PLAs.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 2,930 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,581 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,775 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,875 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,925 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,258 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,359 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DraftKings Partners With VetsinTech to Offer Free Coding Training to Ex-Military Memb decimon 0 2,091 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Last Post: decimon
  The most Military/Veteran friendly College Commencements! Life Long Learning 42 8,775 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  65,000 military students have graduated with Excelsior College Life Long Learning 0 2,648 09-27-2017, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning