Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have any younger people found a career with their degree from "The Big3"
Ubuntu_user Wrote:Well, I guess you could say that I'm an example of what you're asking about... I'm within your specified age range, just finished up my first degree from TESC and got a job in my field a few months before I was even finished.

This was what happened for me, this spring I was called up cold turkey by an investing company and was asked if I would allow them to consider me for their financial analyst position. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I said "yes." A few weeks later I had a phone interview and submitted my rÃsumÃ, and shortly after that they said that they wanted to hire me. They knew before they hired me that I wasn't even quite done with school, and technically the position required me to have my degree done, but they chose to overlook that.
I would say what got me in the door, or what made them come after me, was that I kind of knew a couple of their employees. So I somewhat had internal recommendations.

The most crucial thing in any situation is who you know... not what you know. That's what will land you a job every time, whether you graduated from one school or another. And if you show self-motivation, then you don't even have to necessarily be done with your degree before you land an amazing job (like what happened to me).

That's exactly the kind of story I wanted to hear Ubuntu. Can I ask what your degree from TESC was in? Econ..Finance..?

The finance world is definitely a career path where you need connections to succeed. Connections that are made in a B&M program; not as easily in an online/cbe program.
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
Oh yes, my degrees are in Accounting and Finance.

You're right - connections are vitally important in business. And that's one thing that online college doesn't offer - the in-person meet-ups and get-togethers. However, networking is still entirely possible, it just requires more work to make those connections, IMHO.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei
This thread is exactly what I was looking for. I just finished my A.A. at a community college and enrolled at the local University where tuition is over $1000 for one class! I decided not to go into debt and started to look at the Big 3 and decided that Excelsior was a good fit for me, but for the past few weeks I kept second guessing myself if I would be taken seriously with a Business degree from the Big 3. I am not expecting to make big bucks right away and willing to put in work to prove myself. Daithi answered that question for me.
This is something I want to know as well. I'm completing my degree from TESC..will turn 28 this month and have not had a stable career. I do have some volunteer experience, but I have mainly earned my keep through freelance editing and writing. I hope to get into healthcare management..something within the helping profession. I expect that I will have to get some type of experience with a low paid hourly job after getting my degree before being able to leap into a secure, stable career path. It has been the case for others that I have known in my situation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,159 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,823 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,623 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,753 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,946 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU English Career Path? renaissancewoman87 14 4,717 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,939 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627