Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you ever felt embarrassed by your lack of a degree?
bluetooth Wrote:The worst part is when the subject comes up in a group setting when people are asking about where they went to school. Do you take the vague route and mention where you have attended school without pointing out that you didn't graduate? Or when directly asked about graduating do you lie? Is telling the truth about a monkey on your back worth looking like a loser? Will the degree, once earned, finally give you relief or will you still find something to be embarassed about? In other words, even though it's accredited, [insert non-traditional school here] wasn't good enough compared to [insert traditional school here].

I tend to avoid the conversation entirely. When asked directly, I tell the truth. When asked where I went to school I tell them where I attended school if only for a semester.

I know what you mean. Someone might ask me where I went to college, and I almost do not know what to think of their question. First thought is they will think I'm dumb for not having a degree. But tell them that I did not go to college (even though I have a few traditional credits on my transcript). Then they are shocked because of how knowledgable I am. And I just tell them I wing it. Smile Sometimes I make myself feel "inferior" with my friends (that I did not go to high school with that did not know that I didn't go to college), my friends that became my friends later in life. [Note: I said I made myself feel inferior they don't. True friends would not do that to you. ] Anyway, making myself feel inferior around a few friends/people in general because they have degrees and I do not. A couple that is good friends of ours (hubbie & me that is) are both engineers. Told them at the restaurant that I was going back to school. Made myself feel like I was not good enough, because I don't even have an Associate's and BOTH of them have Bachlor's, maybe even a Master's degrees.

mom2LLL Wrote:YES! My whole adult life, it has bothered me to not have a degree. I don't know why... My husband doesn't have a degree, nor does he want one and he is perfectly happy with that. He really is the most intelligent person I know. I tell him all the time that he could be one of those people who can get their BA in 4 weeks easily! But he doesn't really care about that. He is a self-made computer software consultant and doesn't see a degree getting him anywhere.

For me though, I made the mistake of going to a 2 year unaccredited art college and now it is usless Sad Most of my working life (I get to be a SAHM now) I continued to have my lack of a degree hold me down. It really affected my self esteem. But I always had a problem with going to a B&M school. I just couldn't take being in the classes. That is why I liked TESC. My first online experience was great, but when I found CLEP I was hooked.

I now feel more confident with every test I take. Since I want to be a teacher and need a degree, I feel like I am finally (20 years later) on the right track.

Kim

I really enjoy reading all your posts. (Even the olders ones.) It helps me to have a little insight of some of your personalities, your goals, background of where you came from, and most importantly where you are headed.

The funny thing about this thread is yesterday I just had this conversation with my friend, who too does not have a degree. Her Uncle works for a company that he is higher up in the company, and is asked ALL the time "Where he went to college?" (Asked mostly by the younger employees with a four year degree.) He just replies something like "You would not know the college, it's a private one in a small town. In reality I know that he went to the local 2yr junior college. The other employees (I was told) are still trying to 'beat it out of him' (so to speak). He still won't share where he went to school. He is embrassed by the fact he did graduate from a BIG name four year University. [ok maybe embrassed is not the word more like, he feels that he will be judged or made fun of because he doe not have a four degree like they do.]

It does not matter wheather you graduated high school, 2yr, 4yr, etc.
Whats important is that you are moving forward in WHAT you desire. And it does not have apply only to education. Go through life with what you hold to be important and not what others do.

I asked my husband if he desires to clep any exams. He said that he was happy with his two little AAS degrees. I am proud of him for the education that he HAS on paper. But more proud of him for being my husband, Father of our child, and hard working firefighter.

For you Moms that are trying to further your eductional dreams that you desired, I know that you can do it!!!! (Some of your posts made me realize that I can do it too!)

I am pursing a degree in Accounting, so that I can have on paper what I already know in my head. Most of the last 15-20 years I have worked in the office field. I have been blessed to have employment with companies as office manager/payroll clerk/vice president right hand person/underwriter assistant/bookkeeper. [I won't mention all the "junky" jobs that I had to go through just to get that "one break" from a company that hired me for my "go get 'em" attitude and not the other gal/guy who had a degree. The junky jobs were tough, but you do what you have to to pay the mortgage & keep "food on the table"]

But the best "job" that I have EVER have had is being a Mom!!! [I say "job" but it is a true gift that I get to care for our child, and not have to go to the office. Not there is anything with that, just saying that we are fortunate to have have me be a stay-at-home parent.] When our child starts school I will return to the "corporate world", (knowing that it will have been a five year absense of employment-some employers do not like this regardless of the reason why) I decided I needed the 'edge' for getting hired. An a degree will give me that edge. Plus that fact I will feel better about knowing I finished a personal goal that I started twenty years earlier!

I thank you all (once again) for your knowledge that you share in this forum. I truly appreciate it. Helps me know that one day I will have that degree too! Wishing you well until I "see" you again. Apologize for the lengthy post.
~ X ~
I would not feel that bad, only 23% of the population in the united states has a 4 year degree and more women are graduating college then men. As social security is diminishing or rising retirement age, college graduates make 81% more money then someone with a highschool/2year degree.

Another interesting fact is that out of the people who attend college 47% of them drop out (mostly men).
Begin rant--

I'm personally not embarrassed but I am pissed I'm being forced to get this silly degree. Basically you are a nobody in today's society unless you have one. I'm talking about getting a decent paying job. I have 24 years in the aircraft industry, the last 12 being in a management position while in the military. However, if I get out, I am "unqualified” because I don't have a 4-year degree. So, here I am, wasting my time getting a BS (a quite fitting acronym) degree in Liberal Studies (What the hell does this mean anyway?). Then after I finish taking all of these CLEP/DSST/ECE tests, I'll be deemed employable by the powers that hire employees. Meanwhile, am I any more qualified to manage, lead, or be more productive? I think not, I feel it just means that I'll have polished my ability to cram for a test I really have no interest in.

Again, I know this opinion won't be too popular here, but it is how I feel. I know there are those who do enjoy school, studying, and learning; more power to them and I wish them nothing but success & happiness. I do enjoy learning too and have completed many high level courses; I just don't like being forced to learn something in which I have no interest in. I have accomplished so much over the years, most of which is character and ability defining, I just don't see how having a general degree makes one a better/more qualified person for a job. It would seem experience would have more relevance in the hiring process, but it appears it doesn't. Regardless, I'll stop my whining and get back to studying for my Adulthood and Aging test, now this exam will make me a winner......To tell people I’m studying for this test, IS something I am embarrassed about.

End rant--
Basket Weaver,

I doubt your opinion will really be that unpopular. Many of us prefer other ways to learn how to do our jobs (experience, technical training, and in my case certifications). It's an unfortunate fact of life that for some companies the degree is simply a box that is checked off when HR decides if they should pass on your resume or throw it in the trash.
BLS CIS & Psychology Excelsior, MS IT & MS IM Aspen University, Pursuing MBA Columbia Southern.
I was never embarrassed before. Right now, I'm itching to get a degree. I feel that it's time for me to get my head around this and do it.
X #911 Wrote:But the best "job" that I have EVER have had is being a Mom!!! [I say "job" but it is a true gift that I get to care for our child, and not have to go to the office. Not there is anything with that, just saying that we are fortunate to have have me be a stay-at-home parent.]

I agree!!! Best job ever. Hardest job I've ever had. Actually I was never so motivated to get a degree until I had children. I have three girls and I want to model the importance of an education. Plus, I didn't realize how much I liked teaching until they got into school. It is important for me to be active in their lives and what a better way than to be involved in their school. Poor them!

X#911 - I loved your post.

Kim
[SIZE="2"]Kim Clark
Student at TESC
BA in Art

Hoping to obtain most of my credits from testing:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]
[SIZE="1"]Took:

Humanities 4/06
A & I Lit 5/06
Intro to Sociology 5/06
American Government 6/06
Psychology of Women 7/06 (TESC)

Planned:

Human Growth & Dev., 9/06
Intro to Psych 9/06
Ed. Psych. 9/06[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Basket Weaver Wrote:Begin rant--

I'm personally not embarrassed but I am pissed I'm being forced to get this silly degree. Basically you are a nobody in today's society unless you have one. I'm talking about getting a decent paying job. I have 24 years in the aircraft industry, the last 12 being in a management position while in the military. However, if I get out, I am "unqualified” because I don't have a 4-year degree. So, here I am, wasting my time getting a BS (a quite fitting acronym) degree in Liberal Studies (What the hell does this mean anyway?). Then after I finish taking all of these CLEP/DSST/ECE tests, I'll be deemed employable by the powers that hire employees. Meanwhile, am I any more qualified to manage, lead, or be more productive? I think not, I feel it just means that I'll have polished my ability to cram for a test I really have no interest in.

Again, I know this opinion won't be too popular here, but it is how I feel. I know there are those who do enjoy school, studying, and learning; more power to them and I wish them nothing but success & happiness. I do enjoy learning too and have completed many high level courses; I just don't like being forced to learn something in which I have no interest in. I have accomplished so much over the years, most of which is character and ability defining, I just don't see how having a general degree makes one a better/more qualified person for a job. It would seem experience would have more relevance in the hiring process, but it appears it doesn't. Regardless, I'll stop my whining and get back to studying for my Adulthood and Aging test, now this exam will make me a winner......To tell people I’m studying for this test, IS something I am embarrassed about.

End rant--

I agree it seems that life experience should be sufficient. The whole reason for completing a degree...especially the crap that has nothing to do with your major...is to give you some rounded academic in many different areas that you may never be exposed to again. Getting that exposure helps you understand people in other fields and backgrounds while telling your employers that you're at least able to do the standard amount of work necessary to complete a 4 year degree. Of course, it sounds like you personally have already gained alot of that experience elsewhere and have proven yourself, but not having that box checked off could still hurt you with unknown employers or when competing against someone who has it already.
[SIZE="1"]CLEPS:
[COLOR="green"]Social Sciences and History
College Math
English Composition (no essay) [/COLOR]

DANTES:
[COLOR="green"]World Religions
Civil War and Reconstruction
Drug & Alcohol Abuse
Management Information Systems [/COLOR]

Excelsior:
[COLOR="Green"]Organizational Behavior
Ethics: Theory and Practice
World Conflicts since 1900
World Population [/COLOR][/SIZE]

All done! 42 credits by exam
Urbannaja Wrote:I agree it seems that life experience should be sufficient. The whole reason for completing a degree...especially the crap that has nothing to do with your major...is to give you some rounded academic in many different areas that you may never be exposed to again. Getting that exposure helps you understand people in other fields and backgrounds while telling your employers that you're at least able to do the standard amount of work necessary to complete a 4 year degree. Of course, it sounds like you personally have already gained alot of that experience elsewhere and have proven yourself, but not having that box checked off could still hurt you with unknown employers or when competing against someone who has it already.

Ahh, but you are assumming that EVERYONE goes to these liberal arts schools you attend. I believe the majority of state schools are not liberal arts. Therefore you do not have to take these bullshit classes. You just take the labs/lectures that correspond with your major, so they assume you got the proper education in hs and they go from there.
spazz Wrote:Ahh, but you are assumming that EVERYONE goes to these liberal arts schools you attend. I believe the majority of state schools are not liberal arts. Therefore you do not have to take these bullshit classes. You just take the labs/lectures that correspond with your major, so they assume you got the proper education in hs and they go from there.

Spazz,

The vast majority of undergraduate degrees require a total of 30-60 credits for a major. That leaves 60-90 credits unaccounted for. Are you suggesting that if a school is not one of "these liberal arts schools you attend" (nice jab Spazz), all those remaining credits will be labs/lectures that correspond to your major?

Am I misunderstanding you? Virtually every college in America is going to require you to obtain a liberal arts education, to some extent, as part of your degree.

Coming from England, I can tell you that to us Brits...EVERY American University is a 'liberal arts' college. In Britain you usually ONLY study subjects directly relating to your degree title, for three years straight...and then you get your degree in that subject. If you are reading Math....that is EXACTLY and ENTIRELY all you will read, for three years!

You are a math major of some kind, right? I find it hard to believe that RIT requires you to earn ALL 120 credits in math subjects and related "labs/lectures". No history? No humanities? No social science?

Here is a quote from the very first paragraph of the RIT School of Science catalog (this school encompasses the math department):
http://www.rit.edu/%7E932www/ugrad_bulle...fs/cos.pdf[INDENT]"Undergraduates in the College of Science receive a unique education, one that emphasizes the applications of science and mathematics in the professional world while providing a comprehensive liberal arts education in the humanities and social sciences."

[/INDENT]So my question is this: What the heck are you talking about?

Please THINK before you post a message to the board Spazz. Just take a second or two to read over what you write, and see if it is a sensible, reasonable, and well thought out thing to say. If it isn't, don't press the button to submit your post to the board.

Remember, if what you have written smells like a piece of crap, you are most likely talking out of your ass.

For all your academic snobbery, you appear to lack maturity, insight, wisdom, and basic common sense.

If you can't manage to come up with anything productive, supportive, encouraging, or even just basically rational to say, then by all means, don't say anything! In so doing, you will do yourself, the members of this board, and the venerable Rochester Institute of Technology, a great service!

Thanks,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Well, since Snazz quoted spazz's message, I got to read it even though I got the ignore switch on.

I picked a state at random and went to a random state school. I then picked a random degree program from that school.

University of Minnesota
BS, Computer Science and Engineering

Quote:General Requirements
All students are required to complete general University and college requirements including writing and liberal education courses. For more information about University-wide requirements, see the liberal education requirements.

Liberal Education requirements

Semester Liberal Education Requirements
The Diversified Core Curriculum

Physical and Biological Sciences:

* At least 8 credits including 1 course with lab or field experience in the physical sciences and 1 course with a lab or field experience in the biological sciences.

Social Sciences/Humanities:
A minimum of at least 15 credits distributed as follows:

* At least 6 credits in the social sciences and
* At least 3 credits in historical perspectives and
* At least 6 credits in the arts and humanities including 1 course in literature and 1 course in other humanities.

Mathematical Thinking:

* A minimum of 1 course totaling at least 3 credits.

Designated Themes of Liberal Education

At least 3 credits in each of the following: Cultural Diversity, International Perspectives, Environment, and Citizenship and Public Ethics.

Writing Intensive

Students need to complete 1-2 first-year writing courses, depending on their college of enrollment, and 4 writing intensive courses. Two of the writing intensive courses must be taken at the upper division level, 1 of which must be taken in the student's major.

No comment on any of the rest.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="blue"]
BS in Accounting(General) from Excelsior College
Enrolled in MBA program at Upper Iowa University.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 572 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 507 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 538 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 943 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
Shocked Businesses Are Shutting Down Due to Lack of Workers!!! LevelUP 37 3,051 08-10-2021, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Dr. Amy Cuddy 8 years for 1 degree ashkir 3 965 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Degree Forgery Alpha 8 1,608 04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,744 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,662 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  For Sale: Southeastern US Bachelor Degree Granting College bjcheung77 6 1,993 06-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Last Post: lillingworth