Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you ever felt embarrassed by your lack of a degree?
snazzlefrag Wrote:Spazz,

The vast majority of undergraduate degrees require a total of 30-60 credits for a major. That leaves 60-90 credits unaccounted for. Are you suggesting that if a school is not one of "these liberal arts schools you attend" (nice jab Spazz), all those remaining credits will be labs/lectures that correspond to your major?

Am I misunderstanding you? Virtually every college in America is going to require you to obtain a liberal arts education, to some extent, as part of your degree.

Coming from England, I can tell you that to us Brits...EVERY American University is a 'liberal arts' college. In Britain you usually ONLY study subjects directly relating to your degree title, for three years straight...and then you get your degree in that subject. If you are reading Math....that is EXACTLY and ENTIRELY all you will read, for three years!

You are a math major of some kind, right? I find it hard to believe that RIT requires you to earn ALL 120 credits in math subjects and related "labs/lectures". No history? No humanities? No social science?

Here is a quote from the very first paragraph of the RIT School of Science catalog (this school encompasses the math department):
http://www.rit.edu/%7E932www/ugrad_bulle...fs/cos.pdf[INDENT]"Undergraduates in the College of Science receive a unique education, one that emphasizes the applications of science and mathematics in the professional world while providing a comprehensive liberal arts education in the humanities and social sciences."

[/INDENT]So my question is this: What the heck are you talking about?

Please THINK before you post a message to the board Spazz. Just take a second or two to read over what you write, and see if it is a sensible, reasonable, and well thought out thing to say. If it isn't, don't press the button to submit your post to the board.

Remember, if what you have written smells like a piece of crap, you are most likely talking out of your ass.

For all your academic snobbery, you appear to lack maturity, insight, wisdom, and basic common sense.

If you can't manage to come up with anything productive, supportive, encouraging, or even just basically rational to say, then by all means, don't say anything! In so doing, you will do yourself, the members of this board, and the venerable Rochester Institute of Technology, a great service!

Thanks,
Snazzlefrag

Uhhh??? WHAT school only has 30 major requirements? Most schools in the United states are not Liberal arts schools so they do not have many of these "bullshit" classes. (I never said liberal arts schools are bad, that is something you assumed) I will say that most schools do have between 15-30 credits of classes considered bullshit, but fundamental to their curriculm (Oral comm, Specialized ENG, etc) This is because of the high school system in the US is so below average, that we have added 1 year to reteach everything that you were supposed to learn in highschool. Hence why British University is only 3 years instead of the US 4 years.

One of the admins made a post about how opinions are welcome but insults are not (I believe this was you, but anyway).

You should take your own advice and stop these direct attacks (academic snobbery, you appear to lack maturity, insight, wisdom, and basic common sense.).

You are in no position to make these assumptions. Not only because you attend an online school with no status in society, but I have probably achieved more in the last year, then you have in your entire life.

Maybe you should stop reading this forum and start focusing on society to get the big picture. People generally look down on distance learning and specially testing out of subjects. Like I have explained before it is very superficial, but now I realize that YOU are very superficial. You obviously have a hard time seeing reality while in your little bubble.
spazz Wrote:You are in no position to make these assumptions. Not only because you attend an online school with no status in society, but I have probably achieved more in the last year, then you have in your entire life.

Now you can add getting banned from this forum to your resume!

Good luck,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
A BIG round of applause!

All things in IC universe are right again.

Back to the subject line of "have you ever felt embarrassed..." I had the experience today of being embarrassed for a room full of professionals. There is a real deficit of intellect in our corporations and professional services.

There should really be a class called Google and how to use so you don't look clueless in front of your clients.

Met with a very large corporation and their architect on a building they are planning. The corp being the client. They wanted to try a new product in their building (which our company does not sell by the way) so I spent about 12 hours researching and getting familiar with the subject.

About five minutes into the meeting it was pretty clear that I was the only one in the room who even had a clue what was going on.

ps I was going to use the word Troll in this post but decided not to.Cool
Dale H.
half way...
Enrolled - BS-BGB Excelsior
Completed - 65 credits
Togo - 4 CLEP, 6 DSST, 2 ECE, 1 EC Course, 1 TECEP
dhlvrsn Wrote:There should really be a class called Google and how to use so you don't look clueless in front of your clients.

It sounds as though they might benefit from Excelsior's Information Literacy course.
hilarious

You were wise to go in there having already done your research. Sometimes 'learning' alone is not enough. It is often 'wisdom' that sets you apart. It certainly set you apart today. I wonder how many MBAs were sitting in that meeting scratching their heads because they weren't wise enough to do their OWN research on the product!

Good for you Dale,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Urbannaja Wrote:I agree it seems that life experience should be sufficient. The whole reason for completing a degree...especially the crap that has nothing to do with your major...is to give you some rounded academic in many different areas that you may never be exposed to again. Getting that exposure helps you understand people in other fields and backgrounds while telling your employers that you're at least able to do the standard amount of work necessary to complete a 4 year degree. Of course, it sounds like you personally have already gained alot of that experience elsewhere and have proven yourself, but not having that box checked off could still hurt you with unknown employers or when competing against someone who has it already.

Thanks for the reply and yes, I agree with you. I guess I am just getting burned out and a bit "edgy" from studying these "subjects". I look at each one with dread and can't wait until I finish with the test so I can open the proverbial brain drain. This is a lot of effort to simply fill a block, it would probably mean much more if the studies were actually something practical. 7 more tests and I can get back to enjoying life, I have a 1 y/o son and I resent the time I have to spend on this. Though in the end it will enable me to get a better job, which in turn, will improve our quality of life.
I don't know all the details but in England there are careers that you can apprentice for instead of the schooling. Perhaps one of our friends across the pond could illuminate.
Dale H.
half way...
Completed - 65 credits
Yes, you're quite right, in America and here in England, there are jobs like this. My issue is I'm already doing a manarger's job here in the military. However, to even get your foot in the door in the civilian sector, or have your resume seen, you have to have this "must have 4-year degree" block filled. They could care less if the degree is in basket weaving (Thus my pen name) It also doesn't matter that you have been doing the job for 10+ years, although this plus the degree are deal makers for the most part.

To get out and have to start as an apprentice all over again would be a stretch, not to mention I would be making very poor wages while doing so. If the job were interesting enough it may be worth it; I have learned to never say never. Thanks for the inputs, its always good to get other points of views.
I have a friend from Scotland that has a degree. But instead classes he was able to get his experience and knowledge "on the job." Kind of like what the degree mills profess to do...

I'm in the same boat as you but already in the private sector. I've got what they call a set of golden handcuffs. I can't go anywhere else and get a job at the level I'm at or the pay that I make due to my degree situation. This in spite of the fact that among my peers I'm in the 99th percentile. (Sorry studying for principles of statistics)

It's the same old story though. I try and encourage everyone to do what I'm doing. The common answer that I get is "nah, I'd be XX old by the time I got a degree." I tell them that birthday is coming anyway...
Dale H.
half way...
Completed - 65 credits
I graduated salutorian from my high school- so yes I am embarrassed. It was always expected from my parents and teachers that I would immediately go to college. I joined the Army instead, much to the dismay and shock of everyone. But even in making that step toward independence, my parents voices were still with me in every decision I made. They said that the military wasn't for women and that if I intended to join I better choose an MOS that was a position a "good girl" like myself could be respectable in. I finished high school early and wasn't yet 18. My father told the recruiter he wouldn't sign the papers allowing me to go unless he found a position that would be more suitable for me. Well, I should have waited till I was 18 and not bended to my father's whims.

When it was time to pick what Mos I was interested in, my recruiter steered me to pick something that was medical despite the fact there were other things I wanted to try. So instead I ended up being a medic. Eventually that lead me to being a licensed practical nurse. My parents couldn't be happier. They now expected me to go on to become an RN.

The truth is- I was never passionate about being an LPN. I did the dutiful thing after I got out of the Army and went to school intending to become a full fledged RN. I took all those science courses,,,,all those math courses....and then I quit. I wanted to do something I always yearned to do.

So I took dance lessons. I learned Spanish on my own combined with constantly practicing with a Mexican roomate I used to have, and became fluent without taking a college course! I went on and got my personal training certificate because this former nerd who wasn't allowed to play sports as a child (because it wasn't proper)always wanted to be active and I thank the Army for bringing it out in me. Although I am now bilingual, can chacha and waltz and run marathons and triathlons just for fun... 10 years later this former Salutorian is still an Lpn with no degree. I know I have accomplished much but without that degree there are times I felt like nothing.

I hate when conversations would start with -" what do you do? Where did you go to school?" I'd much rather people asked what my hobbies were. When it comes down to it, it's my hobbies that make me the interesting person I am, not my alma mater.

Although I've moved 500 miles from home, my friends and my husband's family are surprised that I have just a high school education. Times like those are when I want to dig myself in a hole.

Recently after a family reunion back in my old Hometown one of my aunts said ,"No degree and still a lpn?"

I finally decided to go back and get my degree after the birth of my son. I decided once and for all I would get that RN degree to make my family proud. But like before I took a class here, a class there and didn't quite commit myself.

It was my husband who told me,"You've been trying to get your degree for years. Maybe you haven't finished because nursing isn't what you want to do. Do something that makes you happy!"

He's always known I like learning for learning's sake. Without my degree I still feel I've amassed alot of knowledge. I am constantly kicking everyone's butt in Trivial Pursuit and am always answering the questions on Jeopardy.

I decided to go ahead and get that degree in something I enjoy! Right now I am unsure what, but it most definately will be something other than nursing! Thus far, I have taken the sociology test and passed- only going over instantcert's questions once!

I am taking Intro to Psych next at the end of the month and US history II. I am on a roll here and excited. I have a few credits from the schools I attended and my Army training. I am unsure where I want to enroll. I've been looking at Excelsior, Thomas Edison and Charter Oak.

It feels good to finally get that degree on my own terms. Sure it's 10 years later but it is better than never.
Wow, nice first post! Best of luck to you finishing what you start this time. Big Grin
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 542 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 489 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 528 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 929 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
Shocked Businesses Are Shutting Down Due to Lack of Workers!!! LevelUP 37 3,013 08-10-2021, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Dr. Amy Cuddy 8 years for 1 degree ashkir 3 950 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Degree Forgery Alpha 8 1,568 04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,667 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,637 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  For Sale: Southeastern US Bachelor Degree Granting College bjcheung77 6 1,954 06-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Last Post: lillingworth