Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you had problems with the class approval, appeal and grievance process at TESU?
Hello,

I intend to submit a report to Thomas Edison's Accrediting Agency due to the following grievances:

- Lack of transparency and impartiality in the appeal process 
- Dishonesty or misleading information given by academic advisors
- Courses turned down for no reason other than to force one to take courses at TESU and not elsewhere

These are serious violations to the ethical statement that TESU must agree to abide by in their accreditation process.

If you think you have experienced any of these or other violations, and if you have correspondence that can prove it, please contact me to have the evidence presented to TESU's accrediting agency. Names of students will be edited out, so there is no need to far repercussions from the University administration.

send your experiences to: shoshanafeu@gmail.com

Thomas Edison Student
From my experience, their accrediting agency won't do anything. TESU does respond to BBB complaints.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I wonder what went wrong with OP's evaluation or something. More details please on the complaint, all schools including the Big3/WGU have their "pros and cons - you know their ins/outs"...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-28-2018, 12:57 PM)sanantone Wrote: From my experience, their accrediting agency won't do anything. TESU does respond to BBB complaints.

If you do have experience please share it with me privately, I do believe that the accrediting agency will act if enough people lodge a formal mass complaint with each abuse cited, and I am willing to undertake this.

send to: shoshanafeu@gmail.com
May I ask what courses they turned down?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
a 400-level Biochemistry Course at the University of California San Diego Extension.

The details are not important, what is telling, I think, is the process, which was fraught with dishonesty, and I believe that I am not alone in this experience.

The accrediting agency has a list of their standards that all institutions accredited by them must adhere to here: https://www.msche.org/standards/

Under Standard II, Ethics and Integrity, it says:

"3. a grievance policy that is documented and disseminated to address complaints or grievances raised by students, faculty, or staff. The institution’s policies and procedures are fair and impartial, and assure that grievances are addressed promptly, appropriately, and equitably;"

In my case, I can demonstrate that:
- an appeal that returns for a final decision to the first office that issued a denial is not a fair appeal, it is a sham appeal. Appeals must be handled by a separate authority that reviews the first decision, not throws it back to the same person/office to decide.
- academic advisors who, when asked about an appeal process, state that decisions are final and there is no chance for appeal are dishonest
- decisions made are arbitrary and reflect more the desire to create income for TESU than serve the student's interests

I think we can collectively force the issue to be addressed.
I know I went through an appeal; and although I did not get the credit applied (evaluated) the way I had hoped, I can say it definitely was handed off and escalated to the proper school administrator(s) within the university.   It was for a course I had earned credit for at a B&M prior to applying to TESU; not something I took at another school as an enrolled TESU student and planned in advance (with advising) as a set transfer equivalency to fit my TESU degree program and then have it applied as something totally different.

The TESU's appeal process is clearly stated on their site, I assume you took the escalation steps outlined: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/p...guidelines
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Thankfully the only transfer credit appeals I needed took a single email to resolve within a couple of business days.

Sorry you had trouble with them.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(11-28-2018, 02:03 PM)TESUstudent Wrote: a 400-level Biochemistry Course at the University of California San Diego Extension.

The details are not important, what is telling, I think, is the process, which was fraught with dishonesty, and I believe that I am not alone in this experience.
[...]
I think we can collectively force the issue to be addressed.

There are usually ways to remedy these kinds of situations in a way that is much more likely to gain results. There is an escalation process. If your advisor doesn't approve your request, and you have grounds for appeal, you can appeal through the evaluations team (which is where it sounds like you ended up). If that doesn't work out, you can escalate to the dean of the college within TESU that your degree applies to. If that doesn't work or you don't feel it is impartial, you can appeal from there up to TESU's president. If that doesn't work then I suspect you may be out of luck. Appealing to the accrediting board will not do anything. From there you may be better off just changing schools.

Not to mention, even if you have a legit grievance, TESU is known for being one of the most flexible institutions when it comes to accepting credits. As long as the school is RA and the course doesn't duplicate something else on your transcript, you should get credit. It may not always apply the way you think it should (i.e., it isn't guaranteed to meet a degree requirement for a specific course), but you will get credit for it.

How a transfer course is evaluated is usually dependent on a comparison of learning outcomes/syllabus of the external course vs a TESU course to determine where to slot it at TESU. If TESU doesn't offer a comparable course, it may get slotted as an X99 course.

I don't know on what basis you're making your impartiality claim, but you must also keep in mind that the advisory team's job to help you select courses within TESU, they are not well informed about transfer credits or even how that process works in many cases.

As for the dishonesty/misleading stuff. I don't believe the advisors intend to be dishonest but they are known for being wrong... a lot. I think it is generally a lack of communication within the TESU advisory organization. When the advisors don't know the answer to a question (which happens a lot with transfer credit), or don't know for sure, it often seems like they will just make an educated guess or assumption rather than running down the answer and confirming it internally. But in many cases those guesses are wrong.

So yeah, they definitely need to fix the communications problems and improve their customer service and response speeds, but those are outside the realm of the accreditation body's purview. My guess is the team is probably short-handed due to tight budgets and are putting in minimal effort to try to get as many things done as possible.

In any case, I think you should try to get the dean of your school (and/or the president of the university) on the phone first to air your issues. That is the most likely way to get a result. Trying to get them in trouble with their accreditation board is unlikely to provide the results you're looking for. Particularly given that schools aren't required to accept transfer credits at all.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 3 users Like Merlin's post:
  • jsd, mudball, Muldoon
UC San Diego Extension is complicated because it's hard to tell which courses are worth college credit. Many of their courses are for professional development.

When I had a grievance, I couldn't get a response when I needed to escalate it. It wasn't until I went through external channels that TESU did anything. Mine involved their change in residency requirements and how they decided to move my credits after they were pre-approved. I was allowed to graduate after I complained to BBB.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jsd, Life_One

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 495 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 444 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 465 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,281 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 257 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,216 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 231 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 367 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Which class to take? ACI 6 220 03-27-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: AllThose299s
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 299 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az