Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having issues getting started
I posted on here awhile back and then never really did anything with it. I understand the idea of the degree plans and testing out but there is one question I have that I feel likely has a very obvious answer:

What are you doing with that General Education courses? Are they being done on StraighterLine or somewhere similar? Sorry if this is a simple answer but I can't seem to find anything about doing those lol. Do you just use MOOCs and then CLEP them? Should this all be done before you even apply to the selected college?

Thanks in advance. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Here is a guide:
Sanantone's TESC General Education Options After July 1, 2015 - Degree Forum Wiki - Wikia

If I were to do it again I would just study for CLEPs and DSSTs before going to a college. If there are some courses like math or english that you need some help with, I would recommend taking those at a community college
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
With the Big 3, there's no real downside to applying to the college up front. That way you get whatever credits you might already have evaluated and slotted into a degree plan, and you lock in the catalog requirements. The worst that can happen is that you end up having to pay another application fee later if you never get started taking tests or courses at the school. I usually suggest that people go ahead and apply to all three. I found it VERY motivating to see all my old CC credits in my TESU evaluation all accepted and slotted into my degree requirements.

There are a number of options for getting your GenEds done. There are tests for almost everything, or you can do courses, or use free courses to study for tests...Saylor.org StraighterLine, and lots of others. you just need a list of credits to fulfill, and people here can tell you where to go!

The most important advice I can give is to START! Fill out an application for the college, or schedule a course somewhere, or make an appointment for a CLEP so that you have a deadline to study to. Do something to get yourself going. Do it today, if at all possible. I started out applying to TESU, then after a bit, I signed up for Saylor's Intro to Computers. At the end of three weeks, I had my academic evaluation in hand, and I was sending off my first new credits to the school. There was no stopping me after that.

As they say at Nike, "Just do it."
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Hey, here's your previous post.
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...rting.html
Anyways, I'm wondering which degree are you wanting to go for? The CIS or English, maybe something else?

Next off, what college courses, if any, have you completed? What do you do for fun or for a living?
You can use your prior learning for credits through PLA from the college of your choice, I suggest the Big 3 as well.
It might be beneficial for you to create a speadsheet for reference and tracking your progress.

Sanantone's TESC General Education Options After July 1, 2015 - Degree Forum Wiki - Wikia
Essentially, you decide which method is best for you to get credit and the style of study.
Either testing by CLEP/DSST or courses such as ALEKS for math, Saylor or Straighterline, Penn Foster, etc.

As mentioned, you just have to START and keep pushing. I've run into roadblocks.
But after so many years away from school, I am back to finish according to plan.
Thanks,
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coursera WIKI Display Issues graduatesoon 4 434 10-02-2022, 10:12 AM
Last Post: graduatesoon
Question Why People Take SO LONG to Get Started? LevelUP 13 1,710 03-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Anyone else having issues accessing TEEX lessons? delightfulwilderness 2 570 10-26-2021, 09:54 AM
Last Post: delightfulwilderness
  Admissions/Transcript issues *ugh* Vle045 12 1,557 07-17-2021, 04:34 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ProctorU Premium Fee Issues ctcarl 2 1,263 05-04-2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  Getting started with BALS (Template Q&A) CiggyTardust 24 4,814 12-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Last Post: davewill
Big Grin Desperately Need Help To Get Started Risingstar 12 2,233 10-18-2019, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Risingstar
Shocked ProctorU issues? mariorun 6 1,454 10-17-2019, 07:27 AM
Last Post: BrighterFuture88
  in 2017 I gave up on this before I even started. Now I'm serious, but I need help. David.Hamad 21 3,274 05-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  MOOCs you've done or started, and your opinion of them Ideas 16 2,533 03-10-2018, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Ideas