Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA
collegechick Wrote:They've accepted me.  However, they are not associated with the National Student Clearing House transcript verification service. I discovered this when trying to submit my official transcripts.  The dean just wrote me and confirmed they are not registered with them.  This is red flag for me

Sorry, but I don't understand. That service has nothing to do with a school's quality or credibility.

HAU is a little known, small, regionally accredited, private non-profit. That works for some people, but not for others.

In my case, it would make no difference if I had an MBA from HAU or an MBA from, say, University of Illinois. I'd rather put the $17,000 difference into buying my first house, which is likely to be a much better financial investment.

I should note that I wasn't going to do the HAU MBA at full price. There are plenty of other options within that range, and HAU's business programs don't in any way stand out from the pack. It was this deal that tipped my hand in favor of doing the program, so I struck while the iron was hot. 

I expect to be challenged, to learn a lot, and to have a nicer looking resumé at the end of the program. I'll report back here whether my expectations have been met  Shy
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

[-] The following 1 user Likes Maniac Craniac's post:
  • eLearner
(03-26-2021, 10:43 AM)Maniac Craniac Wrote:
collegechick Wrote:They've accepted me.  However, they are not associated with the National Student Clearing House transcript verification service. I discovered this when trying to submit my official transcripts.  The dean just wrote me and confirmed they are not registered with them.  This is red flag for me

Sorry, but I don't understand. That service has nothing to do with a school's quality or credibility.

HAU is a little known, small, regionally accredited, private non-profit. That works for some people, but not for others.

In my case, it would make no difference if I had an MBA from HAU or an MBA from, say, University of Illinois. I'd rather put the $17,000 difference into buying my first house, which is likely to be a much better financial investment.

I should note that I wasn't going to do the HAU MBA at full price. There are plenty of other options within that range, and HAU's business programs don't in any way stand out from the pack. It was this deal that tipped my hand in favor of doing the program, so I struck while the iron was hot. 

I expect to be challenged, to learn a lot, and to have a nicer looking resumé at the end of the program. I'll report back here whether my expectations have been met  Shy

Guys, I highly recommend NOT going to this school. I don't think they are accredited. I checked the Department of Education's website. On it, they have the Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs where you can search for any school and their accreditation status and lapses. When I was a principal in China, I always used this service to verify educational credentials.  This university doesn't show up on there at all with any results, indicating they are likely lying about their status. BEWARE!   The link for the Department of Education database is: Database of Accredited
Postsecondary Institutions and Programs  https://ope.ed.gov/dapip/#/home      

To add to my prior post, I know the accrediting body is recognized because I looked it up and it shows up on the accreditation list: https://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred...n_pg6.html   The link for the accrediting body MATCHES the one provided by the school and there IS a matching school showing it's a member on that page. HOWEVER, it should still show up on the Department of Educations database if it was truly accredited. This school should not be confused with Hellenic College, accredited supposedly by the same accrediting body. However HELLENIC COLLEGE DOES show up on the Department of Education database as well, with a troubled history of potentially losing accreditation. I don't know if it's the same institution with a name change or a different one, but all of these details combined would make me tell MBA hopefuls to choose something else instead.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I'm just forewarning you because certain things just aren't adding up.
Harvard Extension School- HESA President- 2024
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy- In Prog.
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English- In Prog., Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- May 2024
Harvard Uni- Kennedy School of Gov.- PLC- Public Leadership Credential- 01/2023
Bottega Uni- MBA-Feb. 2022
Kennesaw State Uni- BA English-Dec. 2021
Charter Oak State College- BS/AS Psychology- 2013
Collegecareerstudent,

Pretty sure that website/databases only lists US accredited schools that have their main location in the United States. Richmond, the American University in London, is not listed, for instance. It is accredited in the US and the UK.

HAU is regionally accredited, but its address with the accreditor lists its address as Greece but its physical location as the US: https://www.neche.org/institution/hellen...niversity/
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • collegecareerstudent
(04-05-2021, 06:41 AM)freeloader Wrote: Collegecareerstudent,

Pretty sure that website/databases only lists US accredited schools that have their main location in the United States. Richmond, the American Interntional in London, is not listed, for instance. It is accredited in the US and the UK.

HAU is regionally accredited, but its address with the accreditor lists its address as Greece but its physical location as the US: https://www.neche.org/institution/hellen...niversity/

HAU is listed under International with NECHE https://www.neche.org/institution/hellen...niversity/

New Hampshire has them on their approved higher education list, showing main campus in Greece and Branch Campus in NH with the MBA listed as approved for the Nashua Campus https://www.education.nh.gov/sites/g/fil...ectory.pdf

HAU is a member of the New Hampshire College & University council https://www.nhcuc.org/our-campuses/

I think some folks are looking at this and saying "Too good to be true" and they are not wrong in looking into it, I did. However, I don't get how people are making the leap to saying they don't recommend people attend based on they "think" it isn't accredited, when they most clearly are and easy to verify. I will add that throwing in another college (Hellenic college) in a different state that has been around MUCH longer and their record with the department of education is exceptionally poor research and making conclusions and recommendations based on said poor research is questionable ethically.

(04-05-2021, 04:29 AM)collegecareerstudent Wrote: [quote='Maniac Craniac' pid='333466' dateline='1616773437']
[quote='collegechick']
They've accepted me.  However, they are not associated with the National Student Clearing House transcript verification service. I discovered this when trying to submit my  This school should not be confused with Hellenic College, accredited supposedly by the same accrediting body. However HELLENIC COLLEGE DOES show up on the Department of Education database as well, with a troubled history of potentially losing accreditation. I don't know if it's the same institution with a name change or a different one, but all of these details combined would make me tell MBA hopefuls to choose something else instead.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(04-05-2021, 04:29 AM)collegecareerstudent Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 10:43 AM)Maniac Craniac Wrote:

Guys, I highly recommend NOT going to this school. I don't think they are accredited. I checked the Department of Education's website. On it, they have the Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs where you can search for any school and their accreditation status and lapses. When I was a principal in China, I always used this service to verify educational credentials.  This university doesn't show up on there at all with any results, indicating they are likely lying about their status. BEWARE!   The link for the Department of Education database is: Database of Accredited
Postsecondary Institutions and Programs  https://ope.ed.gov/dapip/#/home      

To add to my prior post, I know the accrediting body is recognized because I looked it up and it shows up on the accreditation list: https://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred...n_pg6.html   The link for the accrediting body MATCHES the one provided by the school and there IS a matching school showing it's a member on that page. HOWEVER, it should still show up on the Department of Educations database if it was truly accredited. This school should not be confused with Hellenic College, accredited supposedly by the same accrediting body. However HELLENIC COLLEGE DOES show up on the Department of Education database as well, with a troubled history of potentially losing accreditation. I don't know if it's the same institution with a name change or a different one, but all of these details combined would make me tell MBA hopefuls to choose something else instead.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I'm just forewarning you because certain things just aren't adding up.
Hellenic American University in the US is the same institution as Hellenic American College in Greece. The reason for the name difference is due to the different ways the words are regulated in their respective countries. There's a grecian campus and an american campus, hence the name of the school.

The school that has accreditation issues is Hellenic College Holy Cross, which is not, and I repeat NOT, the same school as Hellenic American University/College. Hellenic American University in Nashua, NH was founded by an act of the State of New Hampshire legislature, is regionally accredited by NECHE and is in good standing on all counts.

If there are any red flags, I'd certainly like to know about them because I'm the one here investing my time and money in it. However, all we have so far is a pile of nothingburgers from those jumping to erroneous conclusions based on misinformation and misunderstandings.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

[-] The following 3 users Like Maniac Craniac's post:
  • cerich67, Flelm, monchevy
(04-05-2021, 10:59 AM)cerich67 Wrote: Collegecareerstudent, if I was HAU and had counsel on staff, I would have no issues with sending you a legal letter explaining the concept of tortious interference, because that is what you are doing. making connections to damn them with their students (who have a contract with) and the public at large, that you admit shouldn't be made but yet you proceed to make them anyhow while making recommendations that their students (who are MBA hopefuls) choose something else instead. What is your agenda here?

I really don't want to derail this thread, but I think you should find someone to explain to you what tortious interference actually entails, because it's not what you think it means.

That being said, I'm sure Hellenic American University/College is a fine school with a somewhat generic name that's causing confusion.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • monchevy
not worth arguments, sorry
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
I take it all back. I hope this program works out for you.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • cerich67
I wouldn't call my research "poor". I did more than most would do because I thought the program was intriguing. It is confusing and to the untrained eye or schools not familiar with this process it could cause issues. Someone else on this forum already stated that transcripts may be an issue. These are things that must be considered. I had to check additional websites, several, as the link on their website where they list they are accredited leads the reader to the exact same page and not to a separate website that proved accreditation.

This is not an attempt to smear the school or make ethically ludicrous claims. This genuinely made me take pause and needed to be addressed as we run into fake schools, or schools at risk of losing their accreditation, or schools that change their names all of the time- some of whom have been brave enough to post on this forum. Keep in mind, I don't post often but I've been on this forum since 2012, lurking.

I saw some things here I didn't like, attempted to look into it, and then reported what I found. I'm not upset that I am wrong about this- but let's not make it a personal thing. I was trying to help people here.

This all being said, I'm going to stick with my gut and stay with Capella, personally. For those of you embarking on the program, good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm sure it'll benefit many people if someone can report back details so that we can make a super post to benefit others dealing with this. A lot of folks don't know how to approach a university with double accreditation.
Harvard Extension School- HESA President- 2024
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy- In Prog.
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English- In Prog., Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- May 2024
Harvard Uni- Kennedy School of Gov.- PLC- Public Leadership Credential- 01/2023
Bottega Uni- MBA-Feb. 2022
Kennesaw State Uni- BA English-Dec. 2021
Charter Oak State College- BS/AS Psychology- 2013
I decided not to study at this school or this program for several reasons. The requirement to attend zoom classes every Tuesday/Thursday nights was unacceptable as I don't learn well at night & prefer work at my own pace. 

Secondly, the course content wasn't interesting & sounded punishingly painful. There's also a glut of MBA holders. I've also read that if you don't get an MBA at a known school, it devalues the degree.

My experience at TESU was a joke and I learned nothing from either of my classes. I'm considering a Masters/cert degree from a state school because I'd really like to learn I/O Psych or project management. I don't feel educated having done the online route from a scammy sounding school. But hey, I have a degree to check the box!
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
[-] The following 1 user Likes collegechick's post:
  • collegecareerstudent

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 193 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,045 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,451 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  American Institute of Law - My Journey AnonJD2027 14 1,912 03-19-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: JazzMac
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,614 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,837 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,362 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,307 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000