Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello and Business or Psychology
Hello all,

This seems like a very good place for information.  I'm thankful that it exists and that you all take the time to help one another.

I am an older guy looking to get a degree and have narrowed the school down to TESU.  I'm having difficulty in figuring out which degree would be the best for me to get.  It is between the Bachelor of Arts in Psychology or the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration.

My employer (Govt) has informed me that I am eligible to put in for one final promotion but I just found out it requires a Bachelors degree.  The only downside is that they could announce the opening as soon as eighteen months from now and if I don't have the necessary degree by then, I won't be able to apply.

My question (the first of many I am sure) is this: Which degree do you believe is the fastest and easiest to earn from TESU.. The Bachelor of Arts in Psychology or the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration?

If I haven't included enough information about myself or my situation for you to make a choice, please let me know and I will fill in the gaps.

I have included the appropriate link to each degree program just in case:
https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/psychology
https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/general-management

Thank you and have a great weekend!
Hi there,
Don't worry, 18 months can be realistic.
Do you have any existing credits? Even old ones.
Most likely the Business degree would be the fastest.

Also: Does your employer offer tuition reimbursement or other support on the costs, and what are the requirements of those policies?
(07-27-2019, 05:33 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: Hi there,
Don't worry, 18 months can be realistic.
Do you have any existing credits? Even old ones.
Most likely the Business degree would be the fastest.

Hello lacussucceed!

Thank you for the quick response.  Unfortunately I don't have any existing credits.  All classes through my job are "in-house" education and not eligible for college credit.  

The thought of missing out on one last promotion because I don't have a degree has been stressing me out to no end.

Also, my employer recognizes TESU but only offers tuition reimbursement up to 10 credits per year.

Thanks!
Get yourself registered at https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseacti...ATION.main
You can start right away with the free credits, please see: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit (Ethics, TEEX, Sophia)
If you don't dislike math go ahead and get Trigonometry, College algebra and Statistics through ALEKS. If math isn't for you (yet), CSM Learn.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • OldManOfTheSea
You might want to consider the Bachelor's of Business Administration at WGU, as it will likely be faster and cheaper. If you do decide on TESU, both degrees are fully test-out friendly so it won't matter which you choose. While you decide, I would start working on your GenEds and earning the available free credits ASAP since time is of the essence
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • OldManOfTheSea
(07-27-2019, 05:51 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: Get yourself registered at https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseacti...ATION.main
You can start right away with the free credits, please see: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit  (Ethics, TEEX, Sophia)
If you don't dislike math go ahead and get Trigonometry, College algebra and Statistics through ALEKS. If math isn't for you (yet), CSM Learn.

Thank you so much for the help!

I will get started on all of it over the course of this weekend..

I'm definitely now on the path to feeling less stressed out.

Thanks!

(07-27-2019, 05:54 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: You might want to consider the Bachelor's of Business Administration at WGU, as it will likely be faster and cheaper. If you do decide on TESU, both degrees are fully test-out friendly so it won't matter which you choose. While you decide, I would start working on your GenEds and earning the available free credits ASAP since time is of the essence

Hello mysonx3!

I didn't consider WGU because it's not on the list of approved educational institutions for reimbursement through my employer.

Would it be possible to complete the degree in the same time without "testing-out"?

Also, I am definitely going to start on the credits this weekend.

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea Wrote:Also, my employer recognizes TESU but only offers tuition reimbursement up to 10 credits per year.

OldManOfTheSea, fellow pirate! Argh ye matie! Let us get ourselves some treasure maps...
Up to 10 credits/year in tuition reimbursement is the ticket to TESU for cheap if not free!
You just need to do 18 credits with them! 2 required courses (Capstone/Cornerstone)

Let me ask, is there a limit to the cost of the 10 credits, example $5 grand/year max?
I would do 3 courses this year and 3 courses next year for a total of 18 credits from TESU.
The main benefit to this is that the courses will be graded vs just transferring them in.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-27-2019, 07:24 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
"OldManOfTheSea"\ Wrote:Also, my employer recognizes TESU but only offers tuition reimbursement up to 10 credits per year.

OldManOfTheSea, fellow pirate! Argh ye matie!  Let us get ourselves some treasure maps...
Up to 10 credits/year in tuition reimbursement is the ticket to TESU for cheap if not free!
You just need to do 18 credits with them!  2 required courses (Capstone/Cornerstone)

Let me ask, is there a limit to the cost of the 10 credits, example $5 grand/year max?
I would do 3 courses this year and 3 courses next year for a total of 18 credits from TESU.
The main benefit to this is that the courses will be graded vs just transferring them in.
 I thought it was only 16 credits with them to avoid the wavier not 18.
I know you are in government, and you said TESU is on the list of approved schools - but not WGU.  Both TESU and WGU have the same type of accreditation, and most employers (even government ones) give a dollar amount, not credit amount. Are you in NJ? Is that why TESU is on a list of approved schools; you're limited to NJ state schools? If this is not a limitation then I'd inquire about WGU with your employer (they work with company tuition reimbursement plans all the time; they would be a quick and cheap option if your employer pays for credits).

Both the Bachelor of Arts in Psychology or the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration at TESU can be completed within the 18 months. We don't know what your career position so can't be sure which would be best for you.  If you're simply looking for a check box degree (which it sounds like you are) then pick the one that is of more interest to you.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(07-27-2019, 07:24 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
"OldManOfTheSea"\ Wrote:Also, my employer recognizes TESU but only offers tuition reimbursement up to 10 credits per year.

OldManOfTheSea, fellow pirate! Argh ye matie!  Let us get ourselves some treasure maps...
You just need to do 18 credits with them!  2 required courses (Capstone/Cornerstone)

Ahoy bjcheung77!

I'm still on the lookout for my degree program treasure map hahaha!

The only classes I may try to submit for reimbursement would be the Cornerstone and Capstone.  After.  Doing it any other way requires me to submit the classes to them ahead of time for approval.. And they have been know to not only not approve the course for payment but also inform employees that the degree doesn't apply to the promotional application. They seem to make up rules as they go along and I'm trying to avoid getting caught in that spider web.  I don't want anything to ruin my chances of getting this final promotion. 

The Cornerstone and Capstone are graded courses right?

Thanks!

(07-27-2019, 08:02 PM)allvia Wrote: I know you are in government, and you said TESU is on the list of approved schools - but not WGU.  Both TESU and WGU have the same type of accreditation, and most employers (even government ones) give a dollar amount, not credit amount. Are you in NJ? Is that why TESU is on a list of approved schools; you're limited to NJ state schools? If this is not a limitation then I'd inquire about WGU with your employer (they work with company tuition reimbursement plans all the time; they would be a quick and cheap option if your employer pays for credits).

Both the Bachelor of Arts in Psychology or the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration at TESU can be completed within the 18 months. We don't know what your career position so can't be sure which would be best for you.  If you're simply looking for a check box degree (which it sounds like you are) then pick the one that is of more interest to you.

Hello allvia!

My particular employer has a credit limit policy in place not a dollar amount.  But you are correct, I am in NJ and limited to NJ state schools.

I picked the Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration because right now they are both accepted for my upcoming promotional announcement and because they both interest me.  The Psychology degree is looking a little better as there is no math requirement.  I've been out of school and away from calculus/trig for almost 30 years.

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 11 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Where can I find course “BUS 210 Quantitative Skills for Business” outside TESU to lucillegyl 5 476 01-03-2024, 01:31 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  TESU BUS-2100 Quantitative Skills for Business MortySanchez 2 345 09-05-2023, 03:03 AM
  SDC Business 311: Project Management Staceys88 3 366 07-10-2023, 10:56 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  New Student: Business Degree Course Map Nate121693 11 990 05-15-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Tesu business Pats20 18 1,636 05-03-2023, 11:24 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Sophia Business Communication - TESU COM-202 Intro to Business Communications BSLIONS 0 575 02-21-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: BSLIONS
  Saylor OPM-351 Business Statistics Question sarahmac 5 818 09-18-2022, 07:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Location Analytics for Business and other transfer equivalencies carrythenothing 11 1,066 09-15-2022, 03:40 AM