Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello and Business or Psychology
(07-28-2019, 04:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
OldManOfTheSea Wrote:Ahoy bjcheung77!

I'm still on the lookout for my degree program treasure map hahaha!

The only classes I may try to submit for reimbursement would be the Cornerstone and Capstone.  After.  Doing it any other way requires me to submit the classes to them ahead of time for approval.. And they have been know to not only not approve the course for payment but also inform employees that the degree doesn't apply to the promotional application. They seem to make up rules as they go along and I'm trying to avoid getting caught in that spider web.  I don't want anything to ruin my chances of getting this final promotion. 

The Cornerstone and Capstone are graded courses right?

Thanks!

Yes! The Cornerstone and Capstone are both graded.  Do you already have some college credit?  I was thinking a step too fast earlier when I mentioned to do 18 credits, as I was thinking you may have tuition reimbursement for up to 5 grand/year.   In any case, you get more tuition reimbursement than I!  That's much better than my treasure err, company offers me!

Now to get back on track, I don't know if you would want to do it this way or not, but as again, do 9 credits through TESU.  This is  because you haven't decided which BA Psych/BSBA you're going with.  Why not just work on the courses that can go towards both first... and decide which while you're working towards them.

Here's a kicker, if you really want both, and don't want to take any more than necessary, you can get both degrees at TESU for the extra cost of the secondary capstone (9 credits total).  If you can take an extra 7 credits, you won't need to pay the residency waiver.  I think by doing 16 to 18 credits with TESU, in addition to your other courses that compose the 120 credits, can be done within 1 years time.  

Yes, you read that right, if you plan carefully enough, you can get BOTH degrees, without taking an extra course.  You just need to decide if that second capstone is worth it or not.  Further more, if you don't want to pay the residency waiver, by taking an extra 7-9 credits, you get that waived.

Yeah I agree it makes sense to do them both at once.

You just need 24 different credits between the two degrees per TESU policy. There can and probably will be more but that's the minimum.

It doesn't make sense getting one and coming back because you will have to pay the residency waiver twice and thats an extra 2800!

SOS-110 and the two capstones already put you half way to avoiding the wavier. I think going for 16 credits at TESU might be a good idea if you can pull it off.
I agree, if you know you want both the BA in Psych and the BSBA, get both at the same time.  It's an extra Capstone course (that you probably don't want to do at the same time, but can do back to back); and it would be covered in your employers 10 credit cap for reimbursement.  Once you decide to go for both at the same time it's just a matter of planning.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I'm going to disagree with the group here and say that if you are short on time, then you should NOT go for 2 degrees. That may take time that you don't have. I would say that instead, think about getting the BA in Psych from TESU as quickly as humanly possible so that you don't lose out on that promotion. THEN, think about going to WGU for your MBA rather than doing the BSBA. I think you'll be much better off doing it this way than getting a second Bachelor's degree.

And, I repeat, do NOT get derailed from your goal of getting a degree with a hard cutoff date that you need to earn it by. 2 degrees may make things more difficult, and your one and only goal should be getting this degree as quickly as you can so you don't miss out on the promotion. It does no good to earn 2 degrees if you don't graduate on time because you're still working on courses for the 2nd degree...that would be crazy.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • davewill, Leedeedee, OldManOfTheSea
(07-29-2019, 12:59 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm going to disagree with the group here and say that if you are short on time, then you should NOT go for 2 degrees.  That may take time that you don't have.  I would say that instead, think about getting the BA in Psych from TESU as quickly as humanly possible so that you don't lose out on that promotion.  THEN, think about going to WGU for your MBA rather than doing the BSBA.  I think you'll be much better off doing it this way than getting a second Bachelor's degree.

And, I repeat, do NOT get derailed from your goal of getting a degree with a hard cutoff date that you need to earn it by.  2 degrees may make things more difficult, and your one and only goal should be getting this degree as quickly as you can so you don't miss out on the promotion.  It does no good to earn 2 degrees if you don't graduate on time because you're still working on courses for the 2nd degree...that would be crazy.

Yes, don't get caught up getting multiple (same level) degrees and somehow miss out on the promotion. Get going, make a plan, if you insist have a point where you decide to evaluate if there is plenty of time to go for the second one, and just get done with it.
(07-29-2019, 02:41 AM)lacussucceed Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 12:59 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm going to disagree with the group here and say that if you are short on time, then you should NOT go for 2 degrees.  That may take time that you don't have.  I would say that instead, think about getting the BA in Psych from TESU as quickly as humanly possible so that you don't lose out on that promotion.  THEN, think about going to WGU for your MBA rather than doing the BSBA.  I think you'll be much better off doing it this way than getting a second Bachelor's degree.

And, I repeat, do NOT get derailed from your goal of getting a degree with a hard cutoff date that you need to earn it by.  2 degrees may make things more difficult, and your one and only goal should be getting this degree as quickly as you can so you don't miss out on the promotion.  It does no good to earn 2 degrees if you don't graduate on time because you're still working on courses for the 2nd degree...that would be crazy.

Yes, don't get caught up getting multiple (same level) degrees and somehow miss out on the promotion. Get going, make a plan, if you insist have a point where you decide to evaluate if there is plenty of time to go for the second one, and just get done with it.

dfrecore & lacussucceed have a good point. What if this job opportunity comes before the 18 months you estimate? The second capstone delays your graduation by at least 12 weeks.  I'm going back to my original statement (that aligns with dfrecore); if you get the BA in Psych now you can always get a bargain priced MBA from WGU to later for the business side. Government agencies love an MBA.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Hello dfrecore!

There has been a lot to process over the last few days.  I think you are right and I'm definitely going to focus on just getting one degree as fast as possible.  I was thinking of the BSBA from TESU and I will explain why.  I may change my mind in the future and decide not to pursue the BA in Psychology but there is one thing that I'd like to do..  Return to Seton Hall University.  I attended for almost a full semester before withdrawing due to some family issues.  I've always wanted to return and finish where I started.  If I get the BSBA from TESU I think it will be a much easier path to the MBA from SHU. 

But, what would happen if I got the BA in Psychology from TESU and then tried to get a BA in Psychology from SHU?  Would any credits from the same degree carry over to another?  Any ideas on how that works?

Thanks!
(07-29-2019, 09:04 PM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote:

Hello dfrecore!

There has been a lot to process over the last few days.  I think you are right and I'm definitely going to focus on just getting one degree as fast as possible.  I was thinking of the BSBA from TESU and I will explain why.  I may change my mind in the future and decide not to pursue the BA in Psychology but there is one thing that I'd like to do..  Return to Seton Hall University.  I attended for almost a full semester before withdrawing due to some family issues.  I've always wanted to return and finish where I started.  If I get the BSBA from TESU I think it will be a much easier path to the MBA from SHU. 

But, what would happen if I got the BA in Psychology from TESU and then tried to get a BA in Psychology from SHU?  Would any credits from the same degree carry over to another?  Any ideas on how that works?

Thanks!

You can't get 2 degrees of the same kind like that.  Plus, it makes absolutely no sense (probably why they won't let you do this).

Choose a degree at TESU and get moving on it.  Doesn't really matter which one, as long as you finish.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • davewill
(07-28-2019, 04:01 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Honestly, if your employer will pay for 2 courses, that leaves you with $2800 for the residency waiver, $50 for the application fee, and $298 for the grad fee, for a total of $3148 out of your pocket.

WGU is $3370 for the term less a $500 scholarship, leaving you paying $2870 out of pocket without your employer paying anything!

It's like buying a $100 item for 50% off at store A, rather than buying it at full price at store B for $40.  Just because you get tuition reimbursement doesn't mean it's a better deal!

Now, WGU doesn't have a Psych degree - but if you opt for a BSBA, then WGU is going to be cheaper if you can bring in 90cr and finish the remaining 30cr in a single term.  You may also be able to go much faster than TESU.

I realize that now, but I was feeling a sense of urgency when I began school back in June. I have an A.S. in Computer Science from a NJ community college that is notorious for taking weeks to send transcripts, but since NJ has their own system for sending transcripts, TESU received mine within days. I took a gap year after CC for the sake of saving money for furthering my education anyway, so the cost was not too much of an issue.

I also did not know about this community, so my initial plan was just a BS in Data Science and Analytics. After I registered for those classes, that's when I realized that I could have started a BACS degree at 80 credits from both CC and high school AP credits. Now, I am pursuing a BS in Data Science, BA in Computer Science and Undergraduate Certificate in Finance, and based on my current pace, I am on track to graduate before March 2020 (December 2019 if they are considerate enough to let me since I will likely take the capstone course in September). I work in corporate so getting my Bachelor's degree is something that I personally feel is necessary to advance in my role.
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
(07-30-2019, 01:38 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 09:04 PM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote: Hello dfrecore!

Thanks!

You can't get 2 degrees of the same kind like that.  Plus, it makes absolutely no sense (probably why they won't let you do this).

Choose a degree at TESU and get moving on it.  Doesn't really matter which one, as long as you finish.

I agree with dfrecore, I wouldn't recommend doing an extra Bachelors at Seton Hall as they require 30 credits for residency and it's $995/credit which is roughly $30 thousand for a second Bachelors when you can get that second bachelors at $1137 from TESU. Mind you, Seton Hall is the second largest Private Uni in NJ after Fairleigh Dickinson, (and slightly larger than Princeton which is #3) - having said that, TESU is the second largest Public Uni right after Rutgers.

If you must go for a degree at Seton Hall, how about deciding which Masters you're looking? Do you know what you're wanting to go into? Business? Psychology? Teaching? If you want, you can save up the $30K and use it on a MBA that's ACBSP at WGU. It'll prob cost you $4K and you've got $26K left for a Masters/Grad Certificate at Seton Hall. The only programs available at Seton that I like are their education program as it's "half price". A grad certificate in K-12 teaching for $8 grand, a MA HRTD for roughly $24 that can use the 12 credits from the certificate...

In short - Score the two TESU degrees, score the WGU MBA, and score whatever program you want afterwards...
Seton Hall tuition: https://www.shu.edu/bursar/tuition-and-fees.cfm
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-29-2019, 12:59 AM)dfrecore Wrote: ... And, I repeat, do NOT get derailed from your goal of getting a degree with a hard cutoff date that you need to earn it by.  2 degrees may make things more difficult, and your one and only goal should be getting this degree as quickly as you can so you don't miss out on the promotion.  It does no good to earn 2 degrees if you don't graduate on time because you're still working on courses for the 2nd degree...that would be crazy.

I agree with this, too. Pick one of Psych or BSBA from TESU and get on it. Don't muddy the water with WGU since it obviously doesn't fit well with your employer. A lot of people get bogged down in choices...don't do that! Regardless of whether you make up your mind quickly or not, go ahead and start in immediately on the GenEds, they're the same for both degrees with the exception of needing College Algebra for BSBA.

Go ahead and apply to TESU, and start in on your credits today!
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,340 Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Where can I find course “BUS 210 Quantitative Skills for Business” outside TESU to lucillegyl 5 501 01-03-2024, 01:31 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  TESU BUS-2100 Quantitative Skills for Business MortySanchez 2 366 09-05-2023, 03:03 AM
  SDC Business 311: Project Management Staceys88 3 384 07-10-2023, 10:56 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  New Student: Business Degree Course Map Nate121693 11 1,023 05-15-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Tesu business Pats20 18 1,704 05-03-2023, 11:24 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Sophia Business Communication - TESU COM-202 Intro to Business Communications BSLIONS 0 591 02-21-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: BSLIONS
  Saylor OPM-351 Business Statistics Question sarahmac 5 848 09-18-2022, 07:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Location Analytics for Business and other transfer equivalencies carrythenothing 11 1,087 09-15-2022, 03:40 AM