Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello everyone. I'm new here and would appreciate any advice...
Hello everyone.  I'm new here and would appreciate any advice... I'm starting almost from scratch with just a few Sophia courses done and now I am enrolled in some ASU courses because of the cheap $99 deal!  My plan is to get my bachelors degree at COSC as cheap as possible.  I want to be sure I take courses that transfer to not waste time or money.  I am currently taking English composition and Western Civilization.   I am trying to fulfill the new requirement for COSC by taking 8 RA courses (24 credits) and then together with the cornerstone and capstone courses (6 credits) = 30 credits and then the other 90 credits would be through Sophia, Clep, and study.com.  I plan to take the second English course offered also, Engish Composition: research and writing , Intro. to communications,  Intro. to sociology, Algebra, which I think would all be typical general education classes, but the other two I am very unsure of.....Intro to health and wellness ? and either computer applications and information technology, or Macroeconomics (I already took through Sophia though), or General chemistry or introduction to solar systems astronomy (these last two suggest algebra and calculus as prerequisites before taking  which I don't have yet) I would choose the health class but what general education requirement would that cover or can it be accepted as an elective?  How many electives can one have?  If anyone has any idea that would be great!
What degree are you wanting to get from COSC? Just a BALS? Something else? Different degrees have slightly different requirements.

For instance, Business Administration requires 45 credits in the AOS: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ration.php while Sociology only requires 39: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...iology.php
Thank you for responding. I am looking at possibly at business administration or liberal arts. I'm hoping the classes I listed will all count towards most of my general education credits because there aren't a whole lot of options for the $99 deal at ASU. I guess I should be more specific. If for example introduction to health and wellness doesn't count toward science category maybe it will count toward liberal arts credits overall ( need for 60 or 90 total depending on BA or BS) ASU gives credit for their students for this course under category of social behavior science... As long as I'm not taking courses in vain... IM so new to this whole process as an adult learner! Glad to have found this site!

I just wanted to add that later I would worry about getting my upper level courses through study.com. Does anyone know if you there are plenty of UL options through them or only for the business degree? My 2nd choice school would be Northern Arizona University but I haven't seen much on this site about them. I would only be able to afford their 6 month prescription plan where you get as many courses done in that time through self paced format. Has anyone tried that? I heard of a mom and her two kids doing three years worth of college courses in the 6 month term. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel that TESU is too expensive with the waiver fee and talks of it increasing....
(06-10-2020, 04:06 PM)Pathfinder Wrote: I just wanted to add that later I would worry about getting my upper level courses through study.com.  Does anyone know if you there are plenty of UL options through them or only for the business degree?  My 2nd choice school would be Northern Arizona University but I haven't seen much on this site about them.  I would only be able to afford their 6 month prescription plan where you get as many courses done in that time through self paced format.  Has anyone tried that?  I heard of a mom and her two kids doing three years worth of college courses in the 6 month term.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I feel that TESU is too expensive with the waiver fee and talks of it increasing....

In terms of UL courses, you might want to consider Davar and Coopersmith.

Davar is only $99 per month for two business classes.  $49.50 for 3 UL credits is hard to beat.  Coopersmith has an excellent selection of Psych/Health related UL courses and is very similar to Davar, except that their courses run $150 each.  They are both self-paced, and what I liked about both of them is that none of the courses I took required any papers or other assignments.
Cosc does NOT accept coopersmith
Coopersmith is out, because COSC website explicitly states that they won't take credits from Coopersmith.
Also, we do not know for sure if COSC have a partnership with Davar. COSC might or might not accept these credits after July 1st.

Having this in mind, it be safer to stick to study.com (for UL) - because COSC has an ongoing partnership with them.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
[-] The following 1 user Likes NoStudentNoCry's post:
  • ss20ts
(06-14-2020, 10:40 AM)NoStudentNoCry Wrote: Coopersmith is out, because COSC website explicitly states that they won't take credits from Coopersmith.
Also, we do not know for sure if COSC have a partnership with Davar. COSC might or might not accept these credits after July 1st.

Having this in mind, it be safer to stick to study.com (for UL) - because COSC has an ongoing partnership with them.

Yes.  If you enjoy taking 120 quizzes, sitting through numerous video clips and writing papers for your three UL credits, and don't mind their subscription model, it is probably best to stick with study.com.

On the other hand, if you think you might prefer to study for and complete one exam and walk away with the same three UL credits at about half the cost, you might want to wait two weeks to see if COSC renews their agreement with Davar.
Ok thanks.  I guess I will have to wait and see who is still in partnership with COSC after July 1st

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 346 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
  Seeking Advice on transferring to WGU out of SNHU dlachance1977 5 139 03-26-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,854 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 563 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 376 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Degree planning advice, fastest way, need help Bikingrox211 17 1,025 03-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Advice: Associates Chilow 14 1,279 03-17-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Look for advice about choosing CS degree Humphrey141 2 210 03-12-2024, 01:53 PM
Last Post: davewill
Big Grin Degree Planning Advice - Pierpont to UMPI or WGU ElBert 11 550 03-11-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Looking for some input/advice kyledudedog 5 298 03-05-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1