Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help/Advice: Associates Degree
I've been lurking on this board for a long time and recently decided to jump back into my education. I need an associates degree for work to further my career. I've applied for the BOG program through Pierpont and am waiting to be accepted. I currently have 15 hours through my local community college and another 48 from Sophia. I've followed the wiki guide that I found in here to make sure I took the right classes from there. My concern is that I've read that it can take Pierpont a while to process everything. Is there anywhere that this can be done quicker? I don't mind paying for the degree I just need to get it as soon as possible.
You might want to provide more details, such as your age, commitments, volunteering, work, etc?  Please review this thread and use the template to provide us more details such as the state you're in, any other certificates, credits, courses, experience, that may help us determine which way to swing things.  Are you more into exams or writing assignments, or competency based assessments?  Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

While you're waiting for Pierpont to get back to you, get more credits and try for a degree from UMPI, their BLS with a concentration will cost you $2800 if you can finish it in two terms, and $4200 if you finish it in three.  This is competency based, if you have commitments and need self-paced, then I would suggest either Excelsior or TESU.  My suggestion is to complete all the requirements for transfer by following this link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ISKBizz15
There's not really anywhere else that will do it faster than Pierpont. At other schools, you must take at least one class that lasts 8-12 weeks. And then some of them only confer degrees once a year. Pierpont is slow, but not THAT slow. If you've already sent in everything, you should be in good shape to have your degree conferred in May. Almost everywhere else, you probably wouldn't get a degree conferred until fall.

That said, UMPI is a great option for getting a quick Bachelor's degree, if you want to do that.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
Even paying won't rush Pierpont. Luckily, it doesn't matter - you'll get it when they confer it. I'm guessing you missed December, so it will probably be in the next couple of months.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the replies. So here's what I've got so far:

Gateway Technical College 7 hours
EMT-A (This one is really old so i doubt it gets counted)

Arkansas State University-Newport 15hours
Intro to Criminal Justice
Administration of Justice
American History I
World History I
Theater Arts

Sophia Pathways 48 hours
Principles of Finance
Project Management
Art History I
Art History II
Communication at Work
Conflict Resolution
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Intro to Business
Intro to Ethics
Intro to IT
Intro to Psychology 
Macroeconomics 
Microeconomics
US History II
Visual Communications

I also have several certifications from work related to criminal justice such as:
correctional officer training academy
management training
crime scene investigations
security audit certification
correctional behavioral health certification
That's definitely good enough for Pierpont! The Gateway Technical College credits might even count, even if they are old.

Are you interested in a Criminal Justice Bachelor's degree from UMPI or something else? UMPI requires a lot of papers/projects. Excelsior and TESU have more exams available, but aren't recommended for a CJ degree.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(01-19-2022, 11:29 AM)rachel83az Wrote: That's definitely good enough for Pierpont! The Gateway Technical College credits might even count, even if they are old.

Are you interested in a Criminal Justice Bachelor's degree from UMPI or something else? UMPI requires a lot of papers/projects. Excelsior and TESU have more exams available, but aren't recommended for a CJ degree.

I'm not sure exactly which way I want to go towards the Bachelor's Degree yet. I need an Associates at the moment in order to test for my CADC counseling certification.
In that case, the hardest part right now is waiting! From application, it should take around 4-5 business days for your paper letter to arrive. It can be slightly longer or shorter, though, depending on exactly where you are in the country.

Assuming you've already sent in the credits to Pierpont, the school credits will probably take about 1-2 weeks from application to show up in the Pierpont system. For whatever reason, the Sophia credits can take 4-6 weeks. You should be able to apply for graduation in mid-March or early April and have your degree conferred in May.

If your Sophia credits still aren't in the system after 6 weeks, you can email Nancy Parks and she should be able to give the admissions people a slight push. Nancy Parks is VERY responsive and helpful. The other departments are slow for various reasons.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
I haven't sent the credits in yet to Pierpont because I assumed I would have to wait on my letter to come in. So is it okay to go ahead and send them in even if I don't have an admission letter yet?
Yes, send in everything ASAP. The sooner you send it in, the sooner they'll process everything.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Lt_criley

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 3 83 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 16 175 7 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 255 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Seeking Advice on transferring to WGU out of SNHU dlachance1977 5 125 03-26-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,845 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Associates after Bachelors? 2nd Bachelors aslhou 16 557 03-25-2024, 08:41 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 555 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower