Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help-Advice regarding COSC AS & BS General Studies vs. BA
I've been researching the different MOOC friendly colleges, and so far it seems that COSC will closest fit my needs.  I'll give you my quick background first, or skip to the next paragraph for the questions.  In a nutshell - after 25 years as an office/accounting/HR manager (and now CFO - more title than actual job, though) I want to fullfill my dream of teaching. The corporate world - especially accounting - is just sucking the life out of me.  I HATE it. And I have NO degree, so every time I have to find a new job in the same field I hit walls with how far I can go.  Soooo, despite starting our 5 years ago trying to get a degree in accounting through standard online colleges (my health, family and work obligations made that a disaster), then starting to take elementary education classes at WGU, I decided that the ONE part of the last 25 years that I loved was teaching new employees. Especially young office assistants just starting out, or older ones stuck in their positions how to progress. So that started a new direction - Teaching 7th-12 grade business classes.  Which I can do with just an associates degree (related to what you want to teach) and 2 years of experience.  SO the push on to get an associates. I have 32 credits that should transfer to any of the 3 colleges, but the disaster of failed courses (strictly due to missed deadlines) means I can't get Financial Aid now. Out of pocket means as cheap as possible - seems like COSC is going to be the way to go.  HOWEVER, they only have one associates in General Studies. Hoping that if the majority of the classes are business that will suffice. And I did look, seems there are enough business related options that are still Liberal Arts to qualify, although guessing that only about half of my current credits would qualify for the AS.  From there the remaining credits should work for the BS in General Studies, so I would continue with that and either the focus on HR or Organizational Leadership. Several questions though about all of this: 

1) Is the degree in General Studies really a good idea?  Has anyone done it, had good results with employers?
2) Am I correct in thinking COSC offers the least expensive route of the 3 schools?
3) What is the order to do this?  Take all the MOOCS/Tests, then register - or register first then take and transfer credits? 
4) If I register first, do I have to take COSC courses every term as well?  Or can I be registered, but not take their courses for several terms while I work on the MOOCS/Tests - only take their required credits at the end? 

And last.....
5) I saw that InstantCert now has it's own courses/testing, but I haven't seen them mentioned much on here.  Any experiences? How do they compare to Saylor, StraighterLine, etc...?

Although I would prefer to have the BS, I want to start with the AS as soon as possible.  There is a big push to hire CTE (business teachers) over the next year or two, want to get in early. The AS will get me in that door.  Any advise on any of the questions above is greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Courses I have already taken and achieved C or higher: 

SUNY (4 credits each)
BME-212054-03 Introductory Accounting 1 (Financial)
BME-214754-05 Business Ethics
SMT-272354-05 Human Nutrition
HDV-282164-02 Intro to Psychology
EDU-233082-88 Educational Planning (2 credits)
EDU-233092-88 Planning and Finalizing the Degree (2 Credits)

CUNY (3 credits each)
ECO-201 Microeconomics
ENG-120 College Composition 1

SNHU (3 credits each)
OL-125 Human Relations in Admin
MKT-113 Introduction to Marketing

WGU (3 credits each)
EDUC-C272 Foundational Perspectives of Edu
ENG-C455 English Comp 1 (had to retake since prior English was for business, not Education)
HUMN-C100 Intro to Humanities
Math-C457 Foundations of College Mathematics (equivalent to College Algebra)
ENG-C456 English Comp 2
Math-C460 Math for Elementary Edu 1
I would not spend money on a general associates (or bachelors) if your goal is to teach business courses.  If you need only an associates where you're located I would strongly urge you to at least get an Associate in Business (ASBA) - TESU has one https://www.tesu.edu/business/asba/index  You still have the residency fee and the Information Literacy (SOS-110) requirement, but no capstone for the ASBA. Also, if you get motivated to finish a BSBA within a year of earning the ASBA you wouldn't have to pay the residency waiver again.  

If you don't mind - Where are you located? I ask because where I am located in US what you're talking about would not be possible with only an associates degree.  I left the corp world a ways back for a nonprofit career path (I love my work now); I can totally relate to your motivation for a new career path.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Thank you for your reply Smile I am in New York. There is is such a shortage of CTE teachers that they opened up some very relaxed alternate alternate paths to gain certification. Of course there are a few more hoops...and it starts as a temporary cert. You have to have a school hire you and complete other education related courses within 2 years to be fully certified. For the TESU Associates, is it best to do the courses first then register, or register then do the courses?

Also wanted to add, this path is new. It was originally what I thought of doing, but 4 years ago you had to have both a degree in business AND education. I was ecstatic earlier this year when I learned about the new alternate paths!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kriccio's post:
  • cookderosa
It looks to me like you should go for the AS at COSC and then transition to the BS in Business Administration at COSC. I believe it is the cheapest option now.

An AS requires 60 credits and you have 50 already. You need to complete the general education requirements (https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/2017-...ements.php) that you do not have and then you will have your associates. It looks like the four remaining classes you need for the associates at COSC are:

1- Speech (Straighterline is great for this),
2- US History,
3- Science with a lab (if the nutrition course included a lab then you would only need to take a science course without a lab).
4- Cornerstone taken through COSC,

Don't stop there. Once you have the associates, you are well on your way to the BS in Business (or something else) at COSC.

Good luck!

(09-29-2019, 12:50 PM)Kriccio Wrote: 1) Is the degree in General Studies really a good idea?  Has anyone done it, had good results with employers?
2) Am I correct in thinking COSC offers the least expensive route of the 3 schools?
3) What is the order to do this?  Take all the MOOCS/Tests, then register - or register first then take and transfer credits? 
4) If I register first, do I have to take COSC courses every term as well?  Or can I be registered, but not take their courses for several terms while I work on the MOOCS/Tests - only take their required credits at the end? 

And last.....
5) I saw that InstantCert now has it's own courses/testing, but I haven't seen them mentioned much on here.  Any experiences? How do they compare to Saylor, StraighterLine, etc...?

I'll add to my post above and answer some of your specific questions:

1) I think general studies is fine for a check-the-box situation and much better than nothing, but a specific major is theoretically better. Although it seems to have served most people on here just fine that have gone that route.

2) I have heard that COSC is currently the cheapest option.

3) Generally you should take most of the credits first and then register at COSC, but since you need the Associates "ASAP" and are so close to that you may want to go ahead and apply because you could knock the AS out very, very quickly.

4) If you are enrolled at COSC, you do not have to be taking classes each semester, but you will be paying the fees for each semester ($224/$295 in-state/out-of-state) even if you are not taking classes through them and paying for tuition.

5) No experience with this.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes topdog98's post:
  • Clepper43
(09-29-2019, 03:14 PM)topdog98 Wrote: It looks to me like you should go for the AS at COSC and then transition to the BS in Business Administration at COSC. I believe it is the cheapest option now.

An AS requires 60 credits and you have 50 already. You need to complete the general education requirements (https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/2017-...ements.php) that you do not have and then you will have your associates. It looks like the four remaining classes you need for the associates at COSC are:

1- Speech (Straighterline is great for this),
2- US History,
3- Science with a lab (if the nutrition course included a lab then you would only need to take a science course without a lab).
4- Cornerstone taken through COSC,

Don't stop there. Once you have the associates, you are well on your way to the BS in Business (or something else) at COSC.

Good luck!

I think what topdog98 has suggested here is a good plan - as long as you continue on for the BS in Business.  Study.com has a Biology I w/lab (it's a virtual lab) you could do that, US History and Public Speaking from them all in one month for just over $300. https://study.com/college/school/charter...llege.html
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • topdog98
I am in the same boat. I can substitute teach with an AA so I am doing the COSC AA. Then I can complete my Capstone afterwards at COSC (it is all I will be missing), but I can teach while I am doing it and decide what level I want to teach etc. Please remember that you have to apply to graduate so if you want to do it by Dec you will have to register for the cornerstone NOW.
(09-29-2019, 02:32 PM)Kriccio Wrote: ... For the TESU Associates, is it best to do the courses first then register, or register then do the courses?

For COSC, you want to do the courses, then register, for TESU, you want to register right away. TESU doesn't charge fees to maintain enrollment, while COSC does.

Either way, start right in on your courses! You can even start while you're still deciding...there will be plenty of courses that work for both. You should ask the school you would like to work for (or whoever administers to program you would qualify under) specifically about whether the General Studies associate's will work or whether you need the ASBA.

P.S. You just have to decide you're going to succeed this time and refuse to let anything stop you from completing your goal.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,681 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,285 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,644 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,165 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,620 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso