Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help CLEP/DSST testing for BSAST Degree in Information Technology
Hey everybody. I'm working towards a BSAST Degree in Information Technology. I'm not enrolled as a student yet at TESC, but I've been working on testing out of classes using the CLEP testing program.
I want to take as many CLEP/DSST test that I can that will count for this degree, but I'm not sure about the rest that I can take that will count towards it.
Here are the CLEP tests that I have taken so far:

College Mathematics 6
Financial Accounting 3
Western Civ II 3
Western Civ I 3
Principles of microeconomics 3
Principles of macroeconomics 3
Information Systems and Computer Applications 3
Natural Sciences 6
Social Sciences and History 6
American Government 3
History of the United States I 3
History of the United States II 3
Analyzing and Interpreting Lit 6
=51 credits

I think I know where some of the CLEP Test credits go but not all of them.
Here are the requirements for the BSAST degree.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Subject Area/Category Credits
I. General Education Requirements 60
A. Intellectual and Practical Skills 15
English Composition I (ENC-101)
(3)
English Composition II (ENC-102)
(3)
College Algebra (MAT-121) or above
(3)
Higher Level Mathematics above College Algebra (College Mathematics CLEP)
(3)
Computer Concepts (CIS-107) or above (INFO SYSTEMS AND COMPUTER APP. CLEP)
(3)
B. Human Cultures and the Physical and Natural World 20
Psychology or Sociology
(3)
Statistics (STA-201)
(3)
Technical Writing (ENG-201)
(3)
Physics I or Chemistry I
(4)
Physics II or Chemistry II
(4)
Second Science
(3)
C. Personal and Social Responsibility 9
Diversity/Global Literacy
(3)
Responsible Ethical Leadership
(3)
Ethics or Diversity Elective
(3)
D. General Education Electives 16 (Western Civ 1&2 CLEP) (Analyzing and interpreting Lit. CLEP) (Micro& Macro economics CLEP)
II. Area of Study: Information Technology 45
A. Information Technology Core 33
Foundations of Information Technology
(3)
COS-330: Computer Architecture
(3)
COS-213:C++ Programming
(3)
COS-241Big Grinata Structures
(3)
COS-352:Operating Systems
(3)
CIS-311Big Grinatabase Management
(3)
CIS-351:Software Engineering
(3)
CIS-301:Management Information Systems
(3)
MAN-435Tongueroject Management
(3)
Network Technology
(3)
Current Trends and Applications of AST
(3)
B. Information Technology Electives** 12
III. Free Electives 15 (Social Sciences and History CLEP) (Natural Sciences CLEP) (Financial accounting CLEP)
Total 120
Bump.
Help anyone?
Welcome rockenrooster,

Normally some one would have responded already. Your thread may have just been bumped. You look well on your way already. Most people on here usually go with the BSBA with a concentration in CIS since it is easier to complete. The BSBA doesn't require the physics courses and the higher level math. Have you thought of pursuing this option?

Most members are ecstatic in helping others, but they usually like to see that you have set a good foundation. If you already have done the following, forgive me. First visit the degreeforum wiki (just google search it). Check out the various degree plans that members have posted. One member, Sanantone, has put together a comprehensive set of plans (She is also by the way pursuing the BSBA in CIS). Afterwards, open up google again and do a search for the specific item you are looking to research in this forum followed by the parameter "site:degreeforum.net". For example, you want to know where to find physics courses, you would enter: physics site:degreeforum.net. This will return results on this forum for that specific subject. Concentrate on material that is no more than 2-3 years old, anything older can cause a world of hurt.

I would then continue to what you already started and plug in additional courses in your plan. If you are still stumped, feel free to bump this thread again or start a new one.

Basically 90% of the questions asked have already been answered and this will be much quicker for you than waiting around for someone here.

Welcome, and Good Luck!

rockenrooster Wrote:Hey everybody. I'm working towards a BSAST Degree in Information Technology. I'm not enrolled as a student yet at TESC, but I've been working on testing out of classes using the CLEP testing program.
I want to take as many CLEP/DSST test that I can that will count for this degree, but I'm not sure about the rest that I can take that will count towards it.
Here are the CLEP tests that I have taken so far:

College Mathematics 6
Financial Accounting 3
Western Civ II 3
Western Civ I 3
Principles of microeconomics 3
Principles of macroeconomics 3
Information Systems and Computer Applications 3
Natural Sciences 6
Social Sciences and History 6
American Government 3
History of the United States I 3
History of the United States II 3
Analyzing and Interpreting Lit 6
=51 credits

I think I know where some of the CLEP Test credits go but not all of them.
Here are the requirements for the BSAST degree.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Subject Area/Category Credits
I. General Education Requirements 60
A. Intellectual and Practical Skills 15
English Composition I (ENC-101)
(3)
English Composition II (ENC-102)
(3)
College Algebra (MAT-121) or above
(3)
Higher Level Mathematics above College Algebra (College Mathematics CLEP)
(3)
Computer Concepts (CIS-107) or above (INFO SYSTEMS AND COMPUTER APP. CLEP)
(3)
B. Human Cultures and the Physical and Natural World 20
Psychology or Sociology
(3)
Statistics (STA-201)
(3)
Technical Writing (ENG-201)
(3)
Physics I or Chemistry I
(4)
Physics II or Chemistry II
(4)
Second Science
(3)
C. Personal and Social Responsibility 9
Diversity/Global Literacy
(3)
Responsible Ethical Leadership
(3)
Ethics or Diversity Elective
(3)
D. General Education Electives 16 (Western Civ 1&2 CLEP) (Analyzing and interpreting Lit. CLEP) (Micro& Macro economics CLEP)
II. Area of Study: Information Technology 45
A. Information Technology Core 33
Foundations of Information Technology
(3)
COS-330: Computer Architecture
(3)
COS-213:C++ Programming
(3)
COS-241Big Grinata Structures
(3)
COS-352:Operating Systems
(3)
CIS-311Big Grinatabase Management
(3)
CIS-351:Software Engineering
(3)
CIS-301:Management Information Systems
(3)
MAN-435Tongueroject Management
(3)
Network Technology
(3)
Current Trends and Applications of AST
(3)
B. Information Technology Electives** 12
III. Free Electives 15 (Social Sciences and History CLEP) (Natural Sciences CLEP) (Financial accounting CLEP)
Total 120
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Incase no one else comes to save the day. Here is San Antone's TESC Computer information system path ( didn't have information technology)
Sanantone's BSBA in Computer Information Systems - Degree Forum Wiki
as well as his general education
Sanantone's General Education Options - Degree Forum Wiki

should Clear up a bunch of credits if you had questions. I'll Pm you with some more info you might find useful that I have found
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
There are a couple of problems with your current plan. The College Mathematics CLEP is not higher than college algebra. The next highest level math will be precalculus which you can take through ALEKS and a few other sources. You can also do calculus or higher. The Information Systems and Computer Applications CLEP is not higher than CIS-107; it is COS-101.

If you are determined to complete the BSAST instead of the BSBA in CIS, then you have some flexible options for the IT requirements. Straighterline offers C++, Laughter was told that CSU Global's CBE for Information Systems Design and Management will count as CIS-311 Database Management, Management Information Systems is available as a DSST, Sophia Learning offers Project Management, and there is a TECEP for Network Technology.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:There are a couple of problems with your current plan. The College Mathematics CLEP is not higher than college algebra. The next highest level math will be precalculus which you can take through ALEKS and a few other sources. You can also do calculus or higher. The Information Systems and Computer Applications CLEP is not higher than CIS-107; it is COS-101.

If you are determined to complete the BSAST instead of the BSBA in CIS, then you have some flexible options for the IT requirements. Straighterline offers C++, Laughter was told that CSU Global's CBE for Information Systems Design and Management will count as CIS-311 Database Management, Management Information Systems is available as a DSST, Sophia Learning offers Project Management, and there is a TECEP for Network Technology.

I was told that it is possible to use the two CIS courses from TEEX to meet the CIS 107 or above requirement by TESC; however, I needed to request it in writing. I already met the course requirement through a community college course but it is worth talking to TESC about this. Worst case scenario there is just a few more electives to be transferred in.
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015
smf6824 Wrote:I was told that it is possible to use the two CIS courses from TEEX to meet the CIS 107 or above requirement by TESC; however, I needed to request it in writing. I already met the course requirement through a community college course but it is worth talking to TESC about this. Worst case scenario there is just a few more electives to be transferred in.

That is good to know. They will probably accept any course that is coded CIS-XXX as long as it's 107 or higher. The TEEX courses are coded as CIS-299 and CIS-344. The Cybersecurity DSST is also CIS-344.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Wow! Thanks for the help you guys!
I looked at the BSBA degree and that was actually my second option but I think the BSAST is actually a better fit for me.

So for the two math classes I can do College algebra and for the higher one I can do PreCal. Any thoughts?

So If the Info systems CLEP won't work for the CIS 107 or above, what could I do as an alternative? and I guess the info systems CLEP would count for the information technology electives.

I also heard that if i take Physics or Chemistry 1 and 2, it requires a lab right?

For the Personal and Social Responsibility section in my degree, I looked at Sanantone's General Education Options and found a couple DSST's and one CLEP, General Anthropology DSST, Human/Cultural Geography DSST and Introduction to Sociology CLEP. I assume these would give me the credits I need for this section.

again thanks for the help
Sorry if I ask a lot of questions I just want to be sure be
fore I make my decision.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

dergraduate College Catalog 2014-2015

Information Technology
>
Required Courses:
Foundations of Information Technology,
Computer Architecture, C++ Programming, Data Structures,
Operating Systems, Database Management, Software
Engineering, Network Technology, Management Information
Systems, Project Management, Current Trends and
Applications
>
Corollary Requirements:
College Algebra or above, Statistics,
Chemistry or Physics with Labs, Introduction to Computers
>
How Students Earn Credit in the Area of Study:
Students may
earn credits by selected technical certifications, testing,
online courses, courses at other regionally accredited
institutions or through prior learning assessment (PLA).

rockenrooster Wrote:Wow! Thanks for the help you guys!
I looked at the BSBA degree and that was actually my second option but I think the BSAST is actually a better fit for me.

So for the two math classes I can do College algebra and for the higher one I can do PreCal. Any thoughts?

So If the Info systems CLEP won't work for the CIS 107 or above, what could I do as an alternative? and I guess the info systems CLEP would count for the information technology electives.

I also heard that if i take Physics or Chemistry 1 and 2, it requires a lab right?

For the Personal and Social Responsibility section in my degree, I looked at Sanantone's General Education Options and found a couple DSST's and one CLEP, General Anthropology DSST, Human/Cultural Geography DSST and Introduction to Sociology CLEP. I assume these would give me the credits I need for this section.

again thanks for the help
Sorry if I ask a lot of questions I just want to be sure be
fore I make my decision.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Just for clarification, when you say you "heard", did someone you know do this degree, or did you read it on here.

From the catalog, yes, labs are required.

I used the advice I gave you above and searched "Social Responsibility site:degreeforum.net" The below thread was the first to show up:

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...-tesc.html

I hope this helps.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Yea.... You definitely need the labs
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,198 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,857 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,342 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,672 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU Information Literacy mysonx3 2 2,226 09-01-2018, 12:43 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,865 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,774 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,000 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU received my DSST transcript - do I need to do anything? Kelly Green 8 2,304 08-29-2018, 12:02 AM
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,961 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM