Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Choosing Final Accounting Courses
Hello all, 

I would appreciate some help weighing my options as I approach the final courses in my Accounting degree from TESU. I'm wanting to transfer in as many credits as possible as I know the TESU courses are fairly pricey even with the Study.com member discount. Long story, but the residency waiver fee will not apply to me so I'm not worried about that. I found Synicaal's guide posted here on the forum and found that really helpful. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. 

I have 93 credits and the remaining courses that I need are:

-- International Management

-- Managerial Communications  

-- Business Admin Capstone

-- Intermediate Accounting I & II 

-- + Four more UL Accounting Courses

I have already enrolled and plan to speak to a academic adviser soon, but want to know all my options beforehand  so I can make sure they will be approved. 

So far I've found: 

Study.com for International Management, Managerial Communications, and Cost Accounting?? 

Straighterline for Intermediate Accounting I  and possibly Penn Foster for Intermediate Accounting II. 

Any other info or course options would be greatly appreciated!
You can take Advanced Accounting, Cost Accounting, and Applied Managerial Accounting with Study, plus the Federal Income Tax TECEP for the four additional UL accounting courses. Study also has Intermediate Accounting I and II, so there's no reason to look elsewhere.
Study.com has everything you need, except that final UL accounting course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the replies! So from Study.com I can take:

Intermediate Accounting I & II

Cost Accounting 

Applied Managerial Accounting

Advanced Accounting I 

With the Federal Income TECEP, it sounds like I won't have to take an accounting course from TESU? Is this correct?
That's correct- unless you want to!
There are also some accounting CSU-Global CBE's that you could do, they're more expensive, but more variety (Auditing, Business IS, etc.). $250
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Every person is different, but I think there is a benefit to going through an intermediate or higher accounting course rather than just taking it as CBE. AIS might be more suitable to CBE than Auditing or other UL courses, though. Study has a good instruction format.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yenisei's post:
  • sarg123
I support the idea of taking professor-led AOS Accounting courses, instead of CBEs or ACE courses, to really learn the material, which is crucial in accounting.

I can't speak for Study.com's Intermediate Accounting since that wasn't available when I took it; judging from their other accounting courses, I'm going to guess it's more comprehensive than SL and other test-out CBEs. IMO, Study.com is the best alternative if you're not going to take professor-led acc classes.

AOS Acc courses I took for my degree:
Intermediate Acc I @ Straighterline --> wish I'd taken it at a CC because SL fails to provide a grasp of actual Intermed Acc I level material
Intermediate Acc II @ Oakton Community College (online course $630) --> awesome class, highly recommend it (DM me for professor recommendation)
Applied Managerial Acc @ Study.com ---> Great course
Advanced Acc I @ Study.com --> Great course
Federal Income Taxation @ UNA (CPAexcel program) $495 --> great course, highly recommend it
Auditing Financial Statements @ UNA (CPAexcel program) $495 --> most difficult course I've ever taken, not because it's hard to understand, just because of the very tricky wording that is rampant throughout the entire course. However, that's just the nature of Auditing and it's still totally doable as long as you're on your toes the entire class. DM me for study strategy tips if you decide to take this.

For International Management, I definitely recommend Study.com's International Business, which I also took.
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
[-] The following 1 user Likes keepsingin's post:
  • Yenisei
Thumbs Up 
(05-05-2018, 03:29 PM)AMRH94 Wrote: ... Straighterline for Intermediate Accounting I  and possibly Penn Foster for Intermediate Accounting II.... 

Any other info or course options would be greatly appreciated!

I just wanted to add one small detail.

Avoid using Straighterline for Intermediate Accounting I. The course description does not match what is normally taught in an Intermediate I course. I put this issue in my signature line a while back, when I first realized it was a problem. Read more about it there if needed.

You've gotten some great advice here, so that is all I wanted to say. Best of luck to you as you finish the home stretch!  Big Grin
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
Intermediate Accounting I, and especially II, are considered the most important accounting courses, and are usually prereqs for cost accounting, auditing, etc., so it pays to do them right.
[-] The following 2 users Like Yenisei's post:
  • keepsingin, tesu-acct-student

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  choosing not to tansfer a course homeschoolmom1 9 2,951 09-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,436 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,079 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,959 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,073 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,728 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,495 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,727 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,231 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,726 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone