Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help...Employer says I must have a degree completed by 8/15
Why has your boss given you a warning to
get a degree. Your job performance must
be good. I would talk to a lawyer.
Even if you pull this off, he will think of some other excuse to fire you, since apparently he can't come right out and tell you to get lost directly. No one seriously could come up with a "Surprise you have 2 months to get a bach. degree!" He wants you out, and is using this excuse as a way of breaking it to you imo otherwise he'd give you a 4 year time limit.
alleycat Wrote:I think this is happening more and more and they are using it as a weeding tool. I would contact HR and possible an employment lawyer. Sometime company policies change and then they mandate having a degree.

That's the first thing I thought. An obstacle for weeding people out. Sounds like you'll have another obstacle in front of you from this boss after you get your degree.

In no way would that happen in my field. Experience still appears to be king in the IT field I'm in.
OP has repeatedly stated he is an athletic coach. This is an academic position. He stated that his organizational leadership changed and that this was apparently always policy but not enforced until the new leadership arrived.

IOW he should have had it, but was allowed to go "under the radar" and is now getting pinched.

This is not a company or corporation, and if they are simply enforcing a long-standing policy I don't see how getting a lawyer would help. But, I am not one, so hey, can't hurt to ring one up I guess.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
Just don't quit. Start working on the degree and wait em out. I bet they won't fire you.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:Just don't quit. Start working on the degree and wait em out. I bet they won't fire you.

Hmm.. Government job, government rules, may not be any wiggle room. Rules in these places are very often written to comply with law, which is often written specifically to prevent common-sense judgment, because one person's common-sense is another person's corrupt cronyism.

That said, I say press on with the degree ASAP like suggested. Worst case, job is lost and degree is finished, better chances at least later on.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
Jumping in late, so may not have all the details but let me add somemore information. In the current academic careers field, things have been tightening up.

I work in a technical center in Florida and up until now you could teach as long as you were licensed or certified in your field and had 10 or more years experience. Now COE wants us to have degrees too. BA or BS is quickly becoming the minimum. In some areas, you must have a degree beyond what you teach...but others require even higher.

This may be the situation and the school may have been written up for this, or anticipating an inspection and requiring it ahead of time.

So many possibilities!

Just get to work and get it done. That will open doors for you to be able to move among other facilities/districts.
I was able to get a 70% on the assessment for Aleks Intermediate Algebra. I plan on starting College Algebra tonight to help earn some of my liberal arts electives. Is StraighterLine the same as Aleks in that you can score high enough on the test and you are done?

Also, I appreciate everyone's input and support. With that said, I would never get another job if I sued the school. That would be a difficult obstacle to overcome in a job interview.
ajsteven5 Wrote:I was able to get a 70% on the assessment for Aleks Intermediate Algebra. I plan on starting College Algebra tonight to help earn some of my liberal arts electives. Is StraighterLine the same as Aleks in that you can score high enough on the test and you are done?

Also, I appreciate everyone's input and support. With that said, I would never get another job if I sued the school. That would be a difficult obstacle to overcome in a job interview.

Make sure your Aleks Intermediate Alg is on your ACE transcipt before switching courses.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Thanks for reminding me!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,229 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,365 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,685 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,901 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,786 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,035 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,341 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,701 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero