Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Lookng for the best Degree path to AS then BSLA, and school choices
Hi There!

Ok, here's the basics - I completed 29 credits several years ago, but some of them I got Ds in, and a few were pass/fail, so I don't know if they'll count. I'm also not sure if the math and science ones will count toward my gen ed or not, as well. I'll put the breakdown below.

My goal is to get an associates (in just general studues, or whatever) as quickly as possible, with as many CRE (clep, dsst, etc). credits & self paced study - proctored exams or not - as I can do! (I am a fantastic test taker, have nearly an eidetic memory and read incredibly fast.) 

Once I have my associates, I'd like to get a BSLA in history. Mostly because I love it. I'd still like to complete this as quickly as possible, with as much CRE as possible, but I know it's a lot harder to get the UL credits in the ways I prefer, so I'm ok with this taking more time. But if there are options to get it done more quickly in the manner that I prefer, I'd rather do that!

I have already applied to excelsior to at least get an idea of accepted credits, but after scouring this forum I have found that while EC doesn't accept Ds, TESU and COSC will accept Ds as long as they're not in English Composition - right?

While obviously I'd prefer to keep costs as low as possible, I'm not really that concerned about it. Time is more important to me at this point. For example, I'll go through modern states to get the free voucher (if it's free, it's for me!) but between the options of taking an entire semester of a class verses spending a few hundred bucks extra to get it done in 2-3 weeks, I'm going for the second option.  

SO! Here are my main concerns / questions:

• Which institutions should I get my degrees through. 
  • Which credits do you think will transfer?
  • Which LL CREs should I pursue? I'm taking the US History 1 Clep next week - figured I might as well use the voucher. I also have a College Comp (with essay) voucher, but wasn't sure if it'd be worth it to take since I have comp 1 already. I noticed that Excelsior gives more credit for some of the Cleps than COSC & TESU, but since they probably wont take my crappy grades, it might be a wash?
  • Can you recommend the best way to quickly accumulate UL credits via self-paced or CREs, and which ones would be the best for my path?
Thanks in advance for all your help!

Subject # Course Title Credit Grade

ARS 1000  Orientation 1 PS
COMM 2000 Mass Comm And Society 3 B
ENGL 1110 College Composition I 3 A-
MATH 1260 Calculus- Business with App I 3 B
PHYS 1310 Physics of Music And Sound 3 A
SOC 1750 Social Problems 3 A
COMM 4940 Communications Internship 2 PS
FILM 1310 Introduction to Film 3 D+
PHYS 1330 Physics of Light And Color 3 D+
THR 1010 Creative Process 3 B+
RCA 1010 Basic Rock Climbing 1 PS
RCA 1010 Intermediate Rock Climbing 1 PS
Others might have better suggestions, but in a broad sense I think the Pierpont BOG AAS into a UMPI BA History/PoliSci might work for you? It gets you the quick Associates you're looking for, then UMPI will take care of all the UL requirements as part of their program.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • rachel83az
First stop: Associate degree. You can get one for free at Pierpont. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC I think that they accept Ds but, even if they don't, you still have enough RA credits to get one quickly and easily.

For a Bachelor's degree, there are a few things to consider.

COSC requires a science with a lab (which I see you don't have) and only accepts credits from a handful of alternate providers. They do require you to bring in 24 RA credits (plus capstone and cornerstone) to make 30 RA credits but you should be good on that account. You also need 30 UL credits. A plan for their general studies history degree is here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...story_Plan

Excelsior also requires 30 UL credits and accepts credits from a wider array of sources than COSC. However, they don't always accept Study.com classes as UL even if TESU or COSC does. Coopersmith would work for you because you said that you're comfortable with testing, but it does cost slightly more than SDC ($150 per class/exam compared to about $100 at SDC). I am not sure that you can get the history degree fully with alternate credits. I think so but I do not have a plan for them.

TESU is the most expensive. They also require 30 total RA credits for a degree but, again, you should be good on that point. You're looking at $8-10k for a degree from TESU. They do only require 12/15 UL credits. If you choose them, there is a plan here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

There is another option that could potentially be even more affordable than the above 3: UMPI. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle They do require 30 UL credits but you would be taking those credits mostly/entirely through them so there's less planning and running around to do. They also require a science with a lab and 1 semester in a foreign language (2 semesters for the history degree).

For LL credits, no matter where you decide to go, the fastest option is going to be Sophia. Possibly the cheapest option, too, once you account for things like paying for gas and lost time getting to the CLEP center.

UL credits: It depends on which school you choose. If you choose COSC or UMPI then you cannot take Coopersmith courses. If you decide on TESU or EC then you can take Coopersmith courses. Study.com courses work for both but the schools may bring in UL in very different ways. For example, a UL business class on SDC won't count at TESU but it can count at COSC or EC.

If it were me, I would choose either UMPI or TESU because you can get a pure History degree instead of a Liberal Studies/General Studies degree with a History concentration. There is nothing wrong with lib studies/general studies but, IMO, a specific degree is better than a generic one whenever possible. But it's really up to you and where your priorities lie.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Flelm
First, I don't generally recommend an AA because I don't think it's worth doing unless you go to COSC; so I'd only do that if you were going to get the history degree from COSC. I think TESU is easier, but COSC will work too.

Either way, I would CLEP/DSST/UExcel/TECEP out of everything possible if you like test-taking. You'll probably like that better than Sophia, Study.com, etc. If you opt for TESU, you can add Coopersmith to that list as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-30-2021, 08:33 AM)rachel83az Wrote: First stop: Associate degree. You can get one for free at Pierpont. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC I think that they accept Ds but, even if they don't, you still have enough RA credits to get one quickly and easily.

For a Bachelor's degree, there are a few things to consider.

COSC requires a science with a lab (which I see you don't have) and only accepts credits from a handful of alternate providers. They do require you to bring in 24 RA credits (plus capstone and cornerstone) to make 30 RA credits but you should be good on that account. You also need 30 UL credits. A plan for their general studies history degree is here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...story_Plan

Excelsior also requires 30 UL credits and accepts credits from a wider array of sources than COSC. However, they don't always accept Study.com classes as UL even if TESU or COSC does. Coopersmith would work for you because you said that you're comfortable with testing, but it does cost slightly more than SDC ($150 per class/exam compared to about $100 at SDC). I am not sure that you can get the history degree fully with alternate credits. I think so but I do not have a plan for them.

TESU is the most expensive. They also require 30 total RA credits for a degree but, again, you should be good on that point. You're looking at $8-10k for a degree from TESU. They do only require 12/15 UL credits. If you choose them, there is a plan here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

There is another option that could potentially be even more affordable than the above 3: UMPI. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle They do require 30 UL credits but you would be taking those credits mostly/entirely through them so there's less planning and running around to do. They also require a science with a lab and 1 semester in a foreign language (2 semesters for the history degree).

For LL credits, no matter where you decide to go, the fastest option is going to be Sophia. Possibly the cheapest option, too, once you account for things like paying for gas and lost time getting to the CLEP center.

UL credits: It depends on which school you choose. If you choose COSC or UMPI then you cannot take Coopersmith courses. If you decide on TESU or EC then you can take Coopersmith courses. Study.com courses work for both but the schools may bring in UL in very different ways. For example, a UL business class on SDC won't count at TESU but it can count at COSC or EC.

If it were me, I would choose either UMPI or TESU because you can get a pure History degree instead of a Liberal Studies/General Studies degree with a History concentration. There is nothing wrong with lib studies/general studies but, IMO, a specific degree is better than a generic one whenever possible. But it's really up to you and where your priorities lie.

Thank you! This is incredibly helpful - I'm definitely going to check out Pierpont. The pure history degree vs having it as a concentration is definitely more attractive - I'll take that into consideration.

(04-30-2021, 08:01 AM)Flelm Wrote: Others might have better suggestions, but in a broad sense I think the Pierpont BOG AAS into a UMPI BA History/PoliSci might work for you? It gets you the quick Associates you're looking for, then UMPI will take care of all the UL requirements as part of their program.

Another person recommended this path as well - I'm for sure going to check it out.

(04-30-2021, 11:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote: First, I don't generally recommend an AA because I don't think it's worth doing unless you go to COSC; so I'd only do that if you were going to get the history degree from COSC. I think TESU is easier, but COSC will work too.

Either way, I would CLEP/DSST/UExcel/TECEP out of everything possible if you like test-taking. You'll probably like that better than Sophia, Study.com, etc. If you opt for TESU, you can add Coopersmith to that list as well.

The main reason I'm interested in the AA is because in Ohio you must have an associates to get your broker license, and my real estate company wants me to get one so that I can be a backup broker in case anything happens to the principal broker. I have all the other requirements, but need the stupid degree.

For sure on the clep part - I actually enjoy doing the study part, then feel vindicated when I take a test, haha.
One note I'll make for the big 3 vs. UMPI, is that the big 3 all have 2 "traditional" online classes, the cornerstone and the capstone. If speed and avoidance of classes are your goal, you may get frustrated by these courses, which is another point towards UMPI.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
(04-30-2021, 01:16 PM)cclocks8 Wrote: [quote pid='335811' dateline='1619787694']
Others might have better suggestions, but in a broad sense I think the Pierpont BOG AAS into a UMPI BA History/PoliSci might work for you? It gets you the quick Associates you're looking for, then UMPI will take care of all the UL requirements as part of their program.

Another person recommended this path as well - I'm for sure going to check it out.

(04-30-2021, 11:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote: First, I don't generally recommend an AA because I don't think it's worth doing unless you go to COSC; so I'd only do that if you were going to get the history degree from COSC.  I think TESU is easier, but COSC will work too.

Either way, I would CLEP/DSST/UExcel/TECEP out of everything possible if you like test-taking.  You'll probably like that better than Sophia, Study.com, etc.  If you opt for TESU, you can add Coopersmith to that list as well.

The main reason I'm interested in the AA is because in Ohio you must have an associates to get your broker license, and my real estate company wants me to get one so that I can be a backup broker in case anything happens to the principal broker. I have all the other requirements, but need the stupid degree.

For sure on the clep part - I actually enjoy doing the study part, then feel vindicated when I take a test, haha.
[/quote]

So, I would double-check to make sure than an AAS degree will work just as well as an AA/AS, or else Pierpont is out.  But if that's ok, then that's the best option for you for sure.

As for UMPI, I think you have to write papers for EVERY course.  If you really would rather test out, then UMPI will not be your cup of tea.  Instead, actually TESTING out of each course except the cornerstone and capstone will probably be more up your alley.

For a straight history degree in that case, TESU will be your school - but honestly, I don't think it matters whether it's a "BA in History" or "BA in Liberal Studies w/Concentration in History" assuming you don't want to become a history teacher or something (and even then I'm not sure it matters).  At TESU, that major is 33cr, while at COSC, the major is 36cr.  So I'm not seeing the downfall in COSC's degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-30-2021, 03:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: As for UMPI, I think you have to write papers for EVERY course.  If you really would rather test out, then UMPI will not be your cup of tea.  Instead, actually TESTING out of each course except the cornerstone and capstone will probably be more up your alley.

You do not write papers for EVERY course. There are courses with final exams as the Final Assessment. The degrees are a mix of papers, projects, and exams.
Since you have about 30 RA credits, any of the Big 3 or Competency Based Education institutions should work for you. For the Big 3, you can transfer in 113/114 credits and just finish 6-7 credits, EC/TESU accepts ACE & NCCRS, however, COSC doesn't accept NCCRS anymore. CBE providers such as Brandman, UMPI, WGU also accept only ACE...

If you have tuition assistance/reimbursement for financial aid such as Pell Grant, you will get a very affordable education using any of the providers mentioned above. I would suggest Excelsior College or TESU for maximum transfer of credits, you can complete affordable credits from NCCRS sources such as Onlinedegree.com, Davar, Coopersmith...

Either way you go, you should focus on your lower level with Sophia.org and upper level credits with Study.com... your first plan of action should be deciding on the degree and the school. Then invest in a second monitor for multi-tasking, and get as many Sophia.org classes completed as possible...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-30-2021, 03:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 01:16 PM)cclocks8 Wrote: [quote pid='335811' dateline='1619787694']

(04-30-2021, 11:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote: First, I don't generally recommend an AA because I don't think it's worth doing unless you go to COSC; so I'd only do that if you were going to get the history degree from COSC.  I think TESU is easier, but COSC will work too.

Either way, I would CLEP/DSST/UExcel/TECEP out of everything possible if you like test-taking.  You'll probably like that better than Sophia, Study.com, etc.  If you opt for TESU, you can add Coopersmith to that list as well.

So, I would double-check to make sure than an AAS degree will work just as well as an AA/AS, or else Pierpont is out.  But if that's ok, then that's the best option for you for sure.

As for UMPI, I think you have to write papers for EVERY course.  If you really would rather test out, then UMPI will not be your cup of tea.  Instead, actually TESTING out of each course except the cornerstone and capstone will probably be more up your alley.

For a straight history degree in that case, TESU will be your school - but honestly, I don't think it matters whether it's a "BA in History" or "BA in Liberal Studies w/Concentration in History" assuming you don't want to become a history teacher or something (and even then I'm not sure it matters).  At TESU, that major is 33cr, while at COSC, the major is 36cr.  So I'm not seeing the downfall in COSC's degree.
[/quote]

That's a very good point on the AA/AS - I looked up the requirements just in case, and apparently I don't need the actual degree - just the 60 hours! So maybe I'll even skip it and just go straight for the bachelors. Here are the actual education requirements per the state:

5. A Financial Management course 
6. A Human Resources or Personnel Management course 
7. An Applied Business Economics course 
8. A Business Law course 
9. A minimum of two years of post-secondary education, or equivalent hours of (60) sixty semester or (90) ninety quarter hours. Courses #5 – 8 may be included in your postsecondary education 

So the associate's isn't needed - I just need those specific 4 courses included in my 60 hours and I should be golden, I think!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 4 86 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 596 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,194 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,905 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 210 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,167 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,306 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 8 648 04-10-2024, 11:40 PM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 171 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 931 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM