Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duplicate courses
(06-05-2020, 11:44 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 11:55 PM)darthweezy Wrote: To clarify what I was saying, my reasoning for duplicate course was for higher GPA purposes on my credits that transferred in.  Both of the classes however are on my transcript. I had a less than stellar freshman year of college 20 years ago...

I promptly flunked out of college as soon as I started.  No worries, though, as I was able to get my GPA up over time through CC courses.

But TESU will bring in everything, so it's not like you get to choose to stick things down in "other courses" and it doesn't affect your GPA.  Everything that has a grade affects it.

The transcript does not look like the evaluation/degree plan as you see that.  It just lists everything ever brought in.

I'm not sure that is universally the case. In my experience, both TESU and COSC drop any incoming courses under a D. They don't appear on your evaluation or academic transcript. I know this because I also didn't do that great in my freshman year. I had an F and a D- on my incoming transcript, but neither of those courses appear in my TESU or COSC evaluation nor do they appear on my official transcript from TESU. Of course, those courses are still on their original transcripts and will count as part of my transfer GPA, but TESU doesn't recognize them.

Also, to clarify what I was saying above regarding "other courses". Any courses that are evaluated but are not included in the degree program will be listed in "other courses". This means that they will still appear on your transcript but just don't count towards your degree.

Also make sure that when we are talking about GPA, we're talking about the right thing.
  • Transfer GPA includes classes taken at every school you submit transcripts for when applying to a new school. The transfer GPA is generally only considered when you first apply to a new school.
  • Institutional GPA only counts courses taken directly from your current school. This is the only GPA that matters at TESU in terms of meeting degree requirements and being able to register for the capstone. 
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
So the GPA is based on all the transferred courses and not just the ones applied towards a specific degree?
(06-06-2020, 09:22 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: So the GPA is based on all the transferred courses and not just the ones applied towards a specific degree?

Each school calculates your incoming transfer GPA in their own way, but traditionally the transfer GPA is based on all courses taken to date across all your schools. However, some will only look at the last 60 credits, or may only look at courses in a specific degree (if you have more than one), or they may have some other criteria for how they determine the transfer GPA. Other schools may ignore your overall transfer GPA and only look at the specific courses that are a prerequisite for a master's degree program, etc.

That said, unless you're trying to get into a school with competitive enrollment, your transfer GPA may not really matter too much anyway. Even at competitive schools, GPA is typically one of the last things they look at as part of your overall application.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
TESU for example only takes GPA of the courses that will be applied to your degree. That is how grades of "D" are usually able to be accepted. When I went to a different 4 year University earlier in life they did not accept anything below a "C-".
BALS Social Sciences - TESU 2020
ASNSM Computer Science - TESU 2020
(06-06-2020, 11:39 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 09:22 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: So the GPA is based on all the transferred courses and not just the ones applied towards a specific degree?

Each school calculates your incoming transfer GPA in their own way, but traditionally the transfer GPA is based on all courses taken to date across all your schools. However, some will only look at the last 60 credits, or may only look at courses in a specific degree (if you have more than one), or they may have some other criteria for how they determine the transfer GPA. Other schools may ignore your overall transfer GPA and only look at the specific courses that are a prerequisite for a master's degree program, etc.

That said, unless you're trying to get into a school with competitive enrollment, your transfer GPA may not really matter too much anyway. Even at competitive schools, GPA is typically one of the last things they look at as part of your overall application.
Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 3,720 11 hours ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,757 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 733 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 787 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 567 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 674 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 298 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 573 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 458 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Outlier.org - 2 For 1 Courses bjcheung77 12 2,515 11-21-2023, 12:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77