Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help getting started
Hey guys,

I have been slowly getting some credit over the last few years, but wanted some input before I proceed. My original plan was to get as many credits (SL, CLEP, DSST, etc.) as possible before transferring into WGU for their Bachelors in Business Management. This was mainly because their courses are competency based, and I was hoping to expedite the process where I could. Recently though I have gotten some cold feet due to an aversion to the math/science classes I may have to take.

I am looking at alternatives with TESU (Human Resource Management or Organizational Management) and COSC (Business Administration), but want some sage wisdom from the folks on this board regarding which they believe may be the path of least resistance. I have attached a copy of my spreadsheet reflecting where I think things can be applied for TESU HRM. If anyone has a moment to take a look and give their feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files
.xlsx   2018 TESU HRM.xlsx (Size: 42.49 KB / Downloads: 11)
TESU ASBA

CLEP
Principles of Marketing 
Principles of Management 
Intro to Business Law

DSST
Intro to Computers
Intro to Business
Human Resources Management

Straighterline
Business Ethics
Macroeconomic
Microeconomics 
Accounting I
Accounting II
Managerial Accounting
Introduction to Communication
Business Communication

ALEKS
College Algebra
Intermediate Algebra
I did a spreadsheet for you.  I do have some questions:

1) The DSST you took, Intro to Computing - was that the only computers course you took?  If so, you can only use it once, and you'd want it down in the Core, not in Gen Ed.  I switched it.

2) Did you take SL's Accounting I and II?  If not, and you took Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting, you'll have to retake those.

If you haven't taken anything through Study.com yet, you'll have to (some of the requirements for the BSBA/HR are only found there), and you should get the affiliate membership which will cut costs for you at TESU.

Attached Files
.xlsx   yayowonder TESU BSBA HR.xlsx (Size: 51.32 KB / Downloads: 17)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
1) Yes it is my only computer class. I was also thinking of taking IT Fundamentals IT 101 at SL which translates to Computer Concepts and Applications - CIS-107 at TESU. I'll try to figure out a second class for the Understanding the Physical & Natural World section.

2) That was an oversight on the spreadsheet I provided. I have taken accounting 1 and 2 as well as managerial accounting via SL. Since accounting 1 & 2 go to my Professional Business Requirements, could I use managerial accounting as one of my free electives?

I want to thank you for all your help. This has felt like an uphill battle for me, and I appreciate the help this forum provides.
TESU ASBA

CLEP
Principles of Marketing 
Principles of Management 
Intro to Business Law

DSST
Intro to Computers
Intro to Business

Straighterline
Business Ethics
Macroeconomic
Microeconomics 
Accounting I
Accounting II
Managerial Accounting
Business Communication

ALEKS
College Algebra
Intermediate Algebra
(02-01-2018, 05:58 AM)yayowonder Wrote: 1) Yes it is my only computer class. I was also thinking of taking IT Fundamentals IT 101 at SL which translates to Computer Concepts and Applications - CIS-107 at TESU. I'll try to figure out a second class for the Understanding the Physical & Natural World section.

2) That was an oversight on the spreadsheet I provided. I have taken accounting 1 and 2 as well as managerial accounting via SL. Since accounting 1 & 2 go to my Professional Business Requirements, could I use managerial accounting as one of my free electives?

I want to thank you for all your help. This has felt like an uphill battle for me, and I appreciate the help this forum provides.

1) You can take that course at SL, or it's also available at Study.com now.  Study.com also has BUS104: Info Systems and Computer Apps and BUS303: Management Info Systems, if you prefer computer courses over science.

2) Unfortunately, SL's Managerial Accounting is a business course, and can't be used anywhere except Free Electives, but luckily you have space there.

Just a note: you've now filled up your Free Electives, so anything you take that won't fit into the degree will just be wasted.  So if you're going to go with the TESU BSBA/HR, you should be careful and plan out the degree now, so that you don't waste any time/money going forward.  It's always better to have a good plan than to wing it.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Wow, you have a lot of blanks in your template. The one dfrecore created for you looks perfect. I would decide on the courses and plug them into that template. If you need recommendations, you should continue on with StraighterLine as most of the courses you have are from them. You should take the easy general education ones, especially the open book exams. Once done, work on the Study.com courses as per that template. Plug in the updates and you'll only be left with the Area Of Study... you can decide on that last...

One thing to note: WGU has a set amount of credits they will take, I think it's up to 90 credits. COSC will allow up to 114 and TESU up to 117. The general education courses you take now should fit for all 3, it's the professional business requirements that will differ, especially in the Area of Study. COSC requires 30 UL/15 of that in the Area Of Study, TESU AOS requires 15 as well. If you decide on COSC, they take up to 33 credits from FEMA (free) depending on degree, but the UL requirements offset that price.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks for all of the assistance! I will get right on it.

TESU ASBA

CLEP
Principles of Marketing 
Principles of Management 
Intro to Business Law

DSST
Intro to Computers
Intro to Business

Straighterline
Business Ethics
Macroeconomic
Microeconomics 
Accounting I
Accounting II
Managerial Accounting
Business Communication

ALEKS
College Algebra
Intermediate Algebra
A follow-up question. Could all the applicable credits I have also apply to the ASBA or is there a limit to the number of credits that can be used? I only ask because on the spreadsheet dfrecore so kindly provided there was a separate tab for it, but it looked like some of the courses/credits didn't appear. I am planning to go full bore on the BSBA in HR, but I was just curious.

Thanks!
TESU ASBA

CLEP
Principles of Marketing 
Principles of Management 
Intro to Business Law

DSST
Intro to Computers
Intro to Business

Straighterline
Business Ethics
Macroeconomic
Microeconomics 
Accounting I
Accounting II
Managerial Accounting
Business Communication

ALEKS
College Algebra
Intermediate Algebra
(02-01-2018, 08:48 PM)yayowonder Wrote: A follow-up question. Could all the applicable credits I have also apply to the ASBA or is there a limit to the number of credits that can be used? I only ask because on the spreadsheet dfrecore so kindly provided there was a separate tab for it, but it looked like some of the courses/credits didn't appear. I am planning to go full bore on the BSBA in HR, but I was just curious.

Thanks!

Yes, you can get an ASBA with the credits you're already getting.  The problem is that you have to pay the residency waiver for the ASBA, and then there is no guarantee that it will count towards the BSBA (although it is probable - but there have been mixed messages from different people at TESU).  You also have to pay the graduation fee for the ASBA, and then again for the BSBA.

So, if you do the ASBA, you'll pay $1800 (assuming Study.com affiliate membership) plus $332 for graduation, and then when you complete the BSBA, you MAY have to pay an additional residency waiver fee (of up to $2500) plus the $332 for graduation.

A better thing to do, since an ASBA isn't worth that much in the marketplace, is to get it at the same time as the BSBA, in which case you'll pay the residency waiver and a single graduation fee.
BSBA it is! Thanks.
TESU ASBA

CLEP
Principles of Marketing 
Principles of Management 
Intro to Business Law

DSST
Intro to Computers
Intro to Business

Straighterline
Business Ethics
Macroeconomic
Microeconomics 
Accounting I
Accounting II
Managerial Accounting
Business Communication

ALEKS
College Algebra
Intermediate Algebra

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enroll/Register at TESU: what is cheapest path to get started? sheagang6 6 2,182 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  With all this spooky talk of changes, should I go ahead and get started with TESU? leland.kirk 27 4,902 01-23-2018, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  TESU Capstone started, finally DavidHume 2 1,152 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  Getting Started at TESU, transfer question Kgaul 5 1,125 11-28-2016, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  newbie question regarding getting started tkdblackbelt 12 1,960 02-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Last Post: tkdblackbelt
  Started 2 wks ago, 27 credits down! Need input on TESC degree plan msd2012 0 595 09-30-2015, 12:40 AM
Last Post: msd2012
  Just getting started. Confused on whether to take the tests first or apply to TESC. exzellent 5 1,418 09-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Trying to get started with Thomas Edison CariBerry 2 849 12-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Last Post: CariBerry
  Baby girl getting started DetroitSki 1 795 11-18-2014, 11:27 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  How do I actually get started? Bonz 3 827 09-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Bonz