Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me achieve sixty college credits
Hello all. I need Sixty (60) college credits with a 2.0 G.P.A. from an accredited college or university for NYPD. I currently do computer repair so I am starting with CLEP Computer Information System test. I also am very interested in law enforcement so I picked up a book to study the DSST Criminal Justice which is quite interesting. What can or should I do to get the ball rolling faster. I signed up to IC to take a look at that too.

Found this forum today, a lot of interesting material here.
xdecx Wrote:Hello all. I need Sixty (60) college credits with a 2.0 G.P.A. from an accredited college or university for NYPD. I currently do computer repair so I am starting with CLEP Computer Information System test. I also am very interested in law enforcement so I picked up a book to study the DSST Criminal Justice which is quite interesting. What can or should I do to get the ball rolling faster. I signed up to IC to take a look at that too.

Do all 60-credits need to be graded and contribute to the 2.0 GPA, or do you just need "some" credits to be graded?

Excelsior College (right in NY for in-state, regionally-accredited which is gold-standard for accreditation) offers a Bachelor program in Criminal Justice and a couple specialization. You could start it and either JUST collect 60-credits, or continue on once you've crossed the finish line you're currently looking at to finish it up. It does not look like many/any of the core courses for that degree are available through CBE (credit-by-exam), but you could fill in your general education requirements using UExcel tests (Excelsior's CBE option), and Excelsior transcribes their own exams as graded credits so that should contribute to your GPA.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
xdecx Wrote:Hello all. I need Sixty (60) college credits with a 2.0 G.P.A. from an accredited college or university for NYPD. I currently do computer repair so I am starting with CLEP Computer Information System test. I also am very interested in law enforcement so I picked up a book to study the DSST Criminal Justice which is quite interesting. What can or should I do to get the ball rolling faster. I signed up to IC to take a look at that too.

60 of anything is different than 60 specifically aligned towards a degree..... but all things being equal, if you're up for a challenge, you could direct all 60 of your credits into an associate's degree. I agree with Mrs. B's suggestion about looking at Excelsior College. Besides them being in your home state, they are SUPER testing friendly and offer both associate/bachelor degrees should you later decide to pursue a higher degree.

I suggest studying for, and taking, both the CIS and CJ exams first. That will give you good experience with two brands (CLEP and DSST) which will help you get comfortable with finding your testing centers, the cost, the format for testing, the way the testing centers run things, etc. Plus, you'll be knocking out 6 credits right away. Those will also count toward a degree. I think you could probably get going on those two tests right away- maybe take computers on October 1st (since that probably requires the least amount of study for you) and the second about 2-3 weeks later.

This whole process is very exciting; I think most people have a bad taste in their mouths from what college is, till they find this place, and learn that you can complete regionally accredited 100% legitimate degrees for a fraction of the time and cost. WELCOME!!

P.S. I wanted to add that you could -if you're a fast learner and good at time management- complete an entire associate's degree by about February. If you're going to pace yourself, I'd say 6-9 months would be the longest it would take. If you're a rock-star, you could finish by New Year's Eve. There are a few exams that are worth double (6 credits instead of 3, and if you speak Spanish, you can knock out 12 in one exam) so adding in a few of those makes things go MUCH faster.
Definitely only study criminal justice if you have an interest in it, not because you think it will help you with employment. 99% of law enforcement jobs don't care about your major.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Great advice so far. A question has come up recently in another thread regarding the use of FEMA to meet the entrance standard of the NYPD. I recall that a few years ago these were allowable direct from FEMA which would make them free, cheap , and relatively easy. I can tell you that Charter Oak State College will accept them free of cost into a degree program and you could them test out of the remainder plus take the cornerstone and hold an AS degree.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,092 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,350 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 587 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 311 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 622 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP